• 10-26-2004
    Honeyburst
    newbie question
    I'm a longtime mountain biker turning roadie. I was recently reading Cycle Sport magazine and came across an unfamiliar term. What does "penultimate" mean? As in, "the penultimate lap" or "penultimate point".

Thanks,
  • 10-26-2004
    matanza
    It means next to the last lap.
  • 10-26-2004
    Dwayne Barry
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeyburst
    I'm a longtime mountain biker turning roadie. I was recently reading Cycle Sport magazine and came across an unfamiliar term. What does "penultimate" mean? As in, "the penultimate lap" or "penultimate point".

Thanks,

It just means "next to last" to decribe whatever follows. It's not a cycling specific term.
  • 10-26-2004
    Bocephus Jones II
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry
    It just means "next to last" to decribe whatever follows. It's not a cycling specific term.

a good reference to get familiar with:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=penultimate
  • 10-26-2004
    Spirito
    Didn't John Holmes invent the word?

ciao
  • 10-26-2004
    haiku d'etat
    yeah, he was referring to me. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
  • 10-26-2004
    Dave Hickey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirito

ciao

LOL....God rest his big .........soul.... ;)
  • 10-26-2004
    Bocephus Jones II
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirito

ciao

I read that as "Didn't John Holmes invent the wood". :)
  • 10-26-2004
    Suddha
    Latin
    "Paena" means "almost", so "penultimate" means almost the last, or next to last.

"Insula" means "island", so "peninsula" means.....

Sorry, I got excited to be able to use what I learned in high school Latin class.
  • 10-26-2004
    haiku d'etat
    irregardless, that has no bearing on John Holmes.
  • 10-26-2004
    Suddha
    You could say he had his own peninsula.....
  • 10-26-2004
    Cory
    Clear example of rampant computer misuse here
    There are things computers do better than anything else, and things computers don't do as well as other things. I have a friend who keeps all her recipes in her computer, and because she doesn' t like to "waste the paper," she'll make six trips from her home office to her kitchen when she's cooking dinner. Three-by-five cards work better.
    This is another example: Eleven people (12 with my post) have taken time off work today to tell this guy something he could have found in a dictionary in 10 seconds. Or, hey, go to google and type in "Dictionary penultimate" and take your pick of 20,000-plus hits.
  • 10-26-2004
    Live Steam
    Gee who are the fools that responded and then complained about it? I see just one :p
  • 10-27-2004
    haiku d'etat
    rampant internet UNDERUSE.

some people don't realize or think about using google or yahoo searches for things.

not everyone is as computer adept as you and me, Cory baby.

then still others are "pretty vacant".

no offense intended to anyone who might have been offended by this post.
  • 10-27-2004
    Dave_Stohler
    www.dictionary.com .

You'll find that roadies have a larger vocabulary than your average MTB'er does....