What where they thinking?
    Frog Whisperer

What where they thinking?

I bought a new pair of hiking boots. Very comfortable BUT the dumbasses who "designed" them put speed laces on two of the top 3 and an eyelet on the very top. DUH.... that defeats the concept of speed laces. I ordered hooks and fixed their stupid design!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    It's possible that they did it to avoid some kind of copyright infringement. Similar to bicycle frame design.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    It's possible that they did it to avoid some kind of copyright infringement. Similar to bicycle frame design.
    Speed laces as a copyright infringement? I dunno, I just retired a pair of boots from the same manufacturer that had them all the way up, I liked them but after wearing them wet for a week in Alaska, they smelled like road kill, OLD road kill

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I would do Oboz Footwear
    Last edited by Eretz; 11-02-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Bach on tropics
    Last edited by Eretz; 11-03-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Double Phost
    Last edited by Eretz; 11-03-2019 at 05:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    V
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I bought a new pair of hiking boots. Very comfortable BUT the dumbasses who "designed" them put speed laces on two of the top 3 and an eyelet on the very top. DUH.... that defeats the concept of speed laces. I ordered hooks and fixed their stupid design!
    How disappointing... I have a Game Warden parka that is so old my wife wonít let me wear it for anything but snow blowing, plowing with the quad and shoveling... Its old. Itís beat up and has a few hacks that keep it going. Never underestimate the utility of a heavy duty paper clip btw. Coat is easily 30+ years old. still works perfectly. I replaced it with the same coat many years ago when it got banished from public view. It didnít last itís first winter. Coat of the same name from the same maker just fell apart. There it away. The old original is ready for the next winter.

Sometimes you just canít go back.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    V

How disappointing... I have a Game Warden parka that is so old my wife wonít let me wear it for anything but snow blowing, plowing with the quad and shoveling... Its old. Itís beat up and has a few hacks that keep it going. Never underestimate the utility of a heavy duty paper clip btw. Coat is easily 30+ years old. still works perfectly. I replaced it with the same coat many years ago when it got banished from public view. It didnít last itís first winter. Coat of the same name from the same maker just fell apart. There it away. The old original is ready for the next winter.

Sometimes you just canít go back.
    cost me 9 bucks for 20 hooks and 3 for good rivets. The boots are GREAT now. Had I been able to dry them out properly when I got them soaked, I would not have had this problem. I always lace the hooks over the top and around, figure 8 style allowing me to tighten the boots incrementally rather than evenly all over. Been doing it that way for decades (like 5?)

about 10 years ago I was at Menards one day in the spring and they had a butt ugly leather jacket, (actually had the grain painted on, they were clearing out, 35 bucks). It has been absolutely bullet proof and is impervious to the wind, doesn't snag or rip when I catch it on a branch when I am cutting firewood, burs don't stick to it and it's warm. It is too ugly to wear out of the woods but it is my go to for working outside.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Bach on Tropics
    Last edited by Eretz; 11-03-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Major winter stuff.
    When it come to warm, I prefer depending on heavier wool socks under a lighter weight boot, I also have a pair of Maple Leaf, a Canadian boot, been wearing them for 35 years, occasionally I buy a new set of wool felt liners when the 50 dollar price tags drops to 10 in the spring! I don't even bother with socks with them! My feet almost never get cold! A couple of years ago I picked up a deal on Wigwam 100% heavy weight wool "hiking" socks for 3 bucks a pair. I bought 6 and am sorry I didn't buy a dozen!

Russian Troll Farmer
    FWIW, I was talking with the owner at my local orthopedic shoe store about different lacing techniques, and he mentions this sort of lacing on boots. He says you don't want a hook at the top, because it will rip the hem of your trousers. The hooks are not for speed, they are to even out the tension on the laces to prevent cutting off the circulation on your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    V

How disappointing... I have a Game Warden parka that is so old my wife wonít let me wear it for anything but snow blowing, plowing with the quad and shoveling... Its old. Itís beat up and has a few hacks that keep it going. Never underestimate the utility of a heavy duty paper clip btw. Coat is easily 30+ years old. still works perfectly. ...
    Are you referring to an L.L. Bean Maine Warden's Parka? I bought one circa 1985 that I still use for snowblowing and XC skiing. Those things last FOREVER.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    double phost
    Last edited by Eretz; 11-03-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    FWIW, I was talking with the owner at my local orthopedic shoe store about different lacing techniques, and he mentions this sort of lacing on boots. He says you don't want a hook at the top, because it will rip the hem of your trousers. The hooks are not for speed, they are to even out the tension on the laces to prevent cutting off the circulation on your feet.

Those hook ARE WAY faster than grommets, at least for me . My jeans break where they hit the top of my foot in the front, they are about an inch from the ground in the back. If I have boots on, jeans are a given so there is no issue with my pants, as for tension, that is what I was saying about tightening incrementally

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Are you referring to an L.L. Bean Maine Warden's Parka? I bought one circa 1985 that I still use for snowblowing and XC skiing. Those things last FOREVER.
    Yes, exactly. Best coat I have ever owned. The planning around adjustability makes it cover everything from cold and still to cold AF and a blizzard. Itís seen heavy use over the 3+ decades Iíve owned it. Bought a new one like 3 years ago and it literally just fell apart inside of one winter. POS. I still have and use my original. My wife tears me up if I wear it off the property. In windy single digit cold I have worn it XC skiing which is possible because of the adjustments built in to the design. Dawn at 0 degrees F it kills. A few hours later or after getting warmed up itís a bit much. The hood and collar design is the best ever for snow blowing. Love that coat.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Those hook ARE WAY faster than grommets, at least for me . My jeans break where they hit the top of my foot in the front, they are about an inch from the ground in the back. If I have boots on, jeans are a given so there is no issue with my pants, as for tension, that is what I was saying about tightening incrementally
    For speedy adjustable tie, it's hard to beat these.

I'm trying to picture a pair of men's boots with these...
    Attached Images Attached Images

gazing from the shadows
    Best I can come up with is this, which is 100% a guess.

Some people complained about the speed lace hooks at the top catching their pants. The marketing department said it was a problem. So they "smoothed" it out to address the complaint.

It's 100% a stupid move, solving almost nothing given they did not change them all. But that's what you get when a few complaints drive changes through the marketing department.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Best I can come up with is this, which is 100% a guess.

Some people complained about the speed lace hooks at the top catching their pants. The marketing department said it was a problem. So they "smoothed" it out to address the complaint.

It's 100% a stupid move, solving almost nothing given they did not change them all. But that's what you get when a few complaints drive changes through the marketing department.
    But, easily enough remedied with a little imagination and the right tools.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I would do Oboz Footwear
    Agreed. I have a pair and they are fantastic. :-)
    Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

The word of the week = racist.