Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Just a reminder to all you Woodstock, dope smoking, long haired, bell bottom, beads and flowers 69 hippies.

Sugar Sugar by the Archies was your number 1 hit in 1969.
    Oh, the irony of it! Then again, the memory fades... The mind can't help but wander down treacherous paths...

Were there actually record-buying folks who weren't hippies back then? Did soshes like my older sister (the word "sosh" was never written down so who knows how it was spelled) buy 45's? Did moms buy the Archies record for their tots? Did science nerds sneak into record stores and bring 'em home in brown paper bags?

Plus, didn't hippies spurn singles and AM radio ? (FM rock stations didn't exist yet.) Didn't they just buy LPs and 4-track & 8 track tapes?

Okay, I'll stop now. Just tryin' to defend my hippie cred. Worse, I actually like Sugar Sugar. Happy, innocent, well-crafted pop.
    Last edited by Mapei; 1 Week Ago at 07:58 PM. Reason: grammar
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    About the only thing I remember from 1969 -- I turned 5 that November -- is Sesame Street. My mother had apparently heard about it and we tuned in for the first episode.

As they say, if you remember the 60s then you weren't really there.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Were there actually record-buying folks who weren't hippies back then?..........
    Plus, didn't hippies spurn singles and AM radio ? (FM rock stations didn't exist yet.) Didn't they just buy LPs and 4-track & 8 track tapes?
    Yes, there WERE non-hippie record buyers! A friends grandmother had an entire set of all the songs from South Pacific on...(get ready...).....NINE 78 rpm 10" discs! Only hippies with trust funds could afford LP's, the poorer ones still bout 49 cent 45's, but a true hippie would just steal records. 8-tracks were still in their infancy, few cars had cassette players. If you were a bit of an audiophile and had the money, you could get recordings on reel-to-reel tape. But, yeah, hippies could listen to AM radio, as long as they were OK with more middle-of-the-road groups like Don McLean, or the Mommas and the Poppas...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    As they say, if you remember the 60s then you weren't really there.
    not so...... memories are in technicolor and FAR larger than real life
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123