Where has everyone gone? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    This. And this. And this. Also this.

Some people who are interested in cycling and want to use the "New Posts" list get a bit exasperated to see 25 new posts, and 23 are PO.

Cycling forums are alive and well elsewhere, including the sister mtbr site. The ONLY difference between here and elsewhere is PO. One plus for here IMO though, except for thinking PO is cool, the mods at rbr are great.

100% agree.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I find PO is a source of sanity during this administration! Not everybody represents "sanity" over there, of course, but I'm impressed with the insight overall.

Just started a coding bootcamp, trying to get some new skillz for my resume. It's intense and overwhelming, and will keep me busy this summer. If I don't flunk out, we shall see!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I would like to hear more about that boat picture. What's the story behind it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I would like to hear more about that boat picture. What's the story behind it?
    Someone forgot to put in the drain plug.

What the Hell is going on
    I replaced one two wheeled vehicle with another one with a better engine. Now my weight, blood pressure, glucose etc. are all up!
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    BREAKER ... BREAKER

Remember the CB Radio fad.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Trænger til hjælp
    Being told to do a search and getting your spelling corrected is always nice
    Trænger til hjælp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I find PO is a source of sanity during this administration! Not everybody represents "sanity" over there, of course, but I'm impressed with the insight overall.

Just started a coding bootcamp, trying to get some new skillz for my resume. It's intense and overwhelming, and will keep me busy this summer. If I don't flunk out, we shall see!
    The problem as I see it is that the acrimony from PO spills over into the bike forums. Of course some of the disc vs rim brake threads got almost as bad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The problem as I see it is that the acrimony from PO spills over into the bike forums. Of course some of the disc vs rim brake threads got almost as bad
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

I'm also 99% convinced that internet chatrooms which do not have religious and/or political sub-forums to keep these friendly disagreements isolated, soon find the acrimony spreads like cancer and kills off the entire forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post

I'm also 99% convinced that internet chatrooms which do not have religious and/or political sub-forums to keep these friendly disagreements isolated, soon find the acrimony spreads like cancer and kills off the entire forum
    MTBR seems to be doing better than RBR and yet no PO forum. It does, however, have a beer forum. Maybe that's the ticket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Kids really put a damper on it. I can't remember the last time I went on a long bike ride on the weekend. Thank god for commuting, otherwise I'd ride very little. Before kids, any week with less than 200 miles was wimpy -- now if I ride all five days I get 165 miles in which seems stellar.
    Yep, I hear ya! For a few years there, I was riding a few hours a day a few days a week. I pretty much defined myself by being a serious cyclist.

Now that I'm about to have two young sons, that time to ride is out the window. And, to be quite honest, when it is a Saturday morning and the question is...do I go ride solo for 3 hours or do I spend a fun morning with my son and wife, the decision is easy. I'm not complaining, just saying my life has changed.

The only downside is that I'm not getting as much exercise as I'd like and it is just plain tough to fit it in. I've adjusted my intake, but I'm still a few kgs over where I'd like to be to feel my best. Oh well, just gotta keep on refining my daily life.

Oh, and beyond that...I do have all these really nice bikes and all this really nice gear and I feel a bit guilty about it just collecting dust right now. But then again, I got a solid decade of fun, exercise, and mental freedom out of it, so in the long run, what I spent on that is probably far less, and far better for me, than most hobbies/diversions. At least I didn't get into boating or flying planes!!

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I think blaming PO for ppl's non-participation is a bit silly. It's really all the lurker-dom that's doing it. People read the forums lots, but don't post/participate. It's that simple.

PO is its own self-contained madhouse. But at least they participate over there.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    BREAKER ... BREAKER

Remember the CB Radio fad.
    Fad, true, but it is still here in a more stable subset of over the air broadcast communication.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    MTBR seems to be doing better than RBR and yet no PO forum. It does, however, have a beer forum. Maybe that's the ticket.
    Beer, the great uniter...
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    I'm still here and post a bit. I've had a FB account for about 10 years but still haven't bothered to figure out how to use it. A forum like this works better for me. And I don't ride as much any more and am 10 pounds heavier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The POlitics forum destroyed this site for good...
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

That's the opposite of what I've seen. There are plenty of forums without politics section and doing well. There are forums with politics section that witnessed members leaving after some political arguments. People can't (may be small exceptions) just turn on / off their feelings like robot.

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    The POlitics forum destroyed this site for good...
    And it only took 17 years. God we PO members work slow.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Yep, I hear ya! For a few years there, I was riding a few hours a day a few days a week. I pretty much defined myself by being a serious cyclist.

Now that I'm about to have two young sons, that time to ride is out the window. And, to be quite honest, when it is a Saturday morning and the question is...do I go ride solo for 3 hours or do I spend a fun morning with my son and wife, the decision is easy. I'm not complaining, just saying my life has changed.

The only downside is that I'm not getting as much exercise as I'd like and it is just plain tough to fit it in. I've adjusted my intake, but I'm still a few kgs over where I'd like to be to feel my best. Oh well, just gotta keep on refining my daily life.

Oh, and beyond that...I do have all these really nice bikes and all this really nice gear and I feel a bit guilty about it just collecting dust right now. But then again, I got a solid decade of fun, exercise, and mental freedom out of it, so in the long run, what I spent on that is probably far less, and far better for me, than most hobbies/diversions. At least I didn't get into boating or flying planes!!
    In a few years your children will have grown and you'll find yourself dusting off and riding those bikes again.

And another Retro-Grouch will have been born.
    Too old to ride plastic

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    In a few years your children will have grown and you'll find yourself dusting off and riding those bikes again.

And another Retro-Grouch will have been born.
    Very true.
    Last edited by Eretz; 06-06-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Double post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    And it only took 17 years. God we PO members work slow.
    PO used to be able to be somewhat civil... now its crazy. I have not been there in 18 months ...
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    PO used to be able to be somewhat civil... now its crazy. I have not been there in 18 months ...
    there is a tangible reason for that... PUPPIES (he says to keep this thread from becoming full blown PO)!!!!!!!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

You clearly don't remember colker1, or LiveSteam, or AM999....the list of uncivil trolls goes all the way back to when I joined 14 years ago. What is going on now, is normal.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Eretz; 06-06-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast