Where has everyone gone? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Still struggling in the saddle.

Last edited by Eretz; 07-27-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Can't unnderstand the thread title.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My plan is to just continue Tour de France "predictions" based on a pretty long running tradition of doing that.

PO is heavily biased, and the monitoring/moderation there is heavily biased, but all of that is easily avoided.

In Pro Cycling, and other non-PO forums, I made complaints about boorish, unwelcoming, and unfriendly behavior that did not conform to rules, but I heard nothing in response evar. So, I say it is the mods, or the inattention of the mods.

Either way, it is sad to give up on what was a good forum site. RBR made its bed and is now lying in it. Whoever RBR is. I have no idea who is making money off of this. Who knows - maybe they are making more money than evar with heavy PO action and light traffic in the other forums.

Frog Whisperer
    I spent an hour dragging my youngest grand daughter around with the Burley on Saturday. With her squealing "faster grandpa, faster..." (up hills.,into the wind) I obliged! It was more fun than I ever imagined! (keeping in mind, she is 2 1/2)
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    ...(keeping in mind, she is 2 1/2)
    Meaning you're an olympian or hooked on a tandem in a down hill.

You're still her hero.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Meaning you're an olympian or hooked on a tandem in a down hill.

You're still her hero.
    Sure felt like it was all uphill to me!, lol

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Yes. And back on topic.
    Last edited by Eretz; 07-19-2019 at 02:22 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I spent an hour dragging my youngest grand daughter around with the Burley on Saturday. With her squealing "faster grandpa, faster..." (up hills.,into the wind) I obliged! It was more fun than I ever imagined! (keeping in mind, she is 2 1/2)
    I met a fellow riding with his two daughters on a triplet. The youngest in the middle was small enough to need a child stoker crank because she couldn't reach the pedals. It was a 60 mile ride and the kids were having good fun.

The bike had S&S couplers and was actually a quad that could be ridden as a triple or double so he and his wife could ride with the kids or just one of them with the kids or just the two of them. Seemed like a good way to get both, family time and riding time.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I met a fellow riding with his two daughters on a triplet. The youngest in the middle was small enough to need a child stoker crank because she couldn't reach the pedals. It was a 60 mile ride and the kids were having good fun.

The bike had S&S couplers and was actually a quad that could be ridden as a triple or double so he and his wife could ride with the kids or just one of them with the kids or just the two of them. Seemed like a good way to get both, family time and riding time.
    my youngest was on the trail-a-bike for HUNDREDS of miles, we always had a great time. We would head out after dinner, into rainstorms looking for rainbows. One night I heard this squealing from behind me, I turned and saw my rooster tail from the rear wheel hitting her right in the face. asked her if she wanted me to stop, her reply was "no go faster, maybe it will go over my head"...However, that isn't how it works, it hit her harder, LOL. I believe that was the moment she became a physicist! Headed for her place tomorrow, taking my bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    my youngest was on the trail-a-bike for HUNDREDS of miles, we always had a great time. We would head out after dinner, into rainstorms looking for rainbows. One night I heard this squealing from behind me, I turned and saw my rooster tail from the rear wheel hitting her right in the face. asked her if she wanted me to stop, her reply was "no go faster, maybe it will go over my head"...However, that isn't how it works, it hit her harder, LOL. I believe that was the moment she became a physicist! Headed for her place tomorrow, taking my bike!
    Fun is Good.
    Too old to ride plastic

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

I'm also 99% convinced that internet chatrooms which do not have religious and/or political sub-forums to keep these friendly disagreements isolated, soon find the acrimony spreads like cancer and kills off the entire forum
    well then stop being so acrimonious ;-)
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    I don't post in the regular forums, because I don't ride much anymore. I still have my LeMond, though. I quit when my son was born due to time constraints, and I do have other hobbies, so even though I'm retired I still don't have much time It's in the back of my mind to start up again, though. I miss the folks I used to ride with and since my body is not cooperating wrt to the weight room, I need another exercise outlet.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    My plan is to just continue Tour de France "predictions" based on a pretty long running tradition of doing that.

PO is heavily biased, and the monitoring/moderation there is heavily biased, but all of that is easily avoided.

In Pro Cycling, and other non-PO forums, I made complaints about boorish, unwelcoming, and unfriendly behavior that did not conform to rules, but I heard nothing in response evar. So, I say it is the mods, or the inattention of the mods.

Either way, it is sad to give up on what was a good forum site. RBR made its bed and is now lying in it. Whoever RBR is. I have no idea who is making money off of this. Who knows - maybe they are making more money than evar with heavy PO action and light traffic in the other forums.
    I assume the money is made when folks click ads. While PO sadly has the most activity, I can't imagine someone coming off a hostile, bitter PO back and forth and then clinking on an ad to buy some bike thingie. Maybe something better will rise from the ashes, but its sad to see what RBR has become

What the what???
    I think Facebook has had as much, if not more, to do with the exodus than PO. While I think Armstrong might have helped to drive traffic back in the day, Iím not so sure his fall from grace made people leave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    I don't post in the regular forums, because I don't ride much anymore. I still have my LeMond, though. I quit when my son was born due to time constraints, and I do have other hobbies, so even though I'm retired I still don't have much time It's in the back of my mind to start up again, though. I miss the folks I used to ride with and since my body is not cooperating wrt to the weight room, I need another exercise outlet.
    Do it! Even tho I am also older I still enjoy getting out and doing all different types of cycling, it definitely helps keep the belly bulge under control.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I think Facebook has had as much, if not more, to do with the exodus than PO. While I think Armstrong might have helped to drive traffic back in the day, Iím not so sure his fall from grace made people leave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I thought maybe we'd see an uptick with the rise in popularity of gravel bikes and whatnot, but that did not happen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Still in coding bootcamp, hoping to graduate in a couple of weeks!! Talk about hell. But it's something I've been wanting to learn, with no idea where to start, so this has been helpful.

a real member's member
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Most ppl would rather lurk than post...

And that's why we can't have nice things.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Seat's not level
    I have to admit, that I spend far less time here than I used too. Part of the issue is that I decided not to sit inside and type, I would far prefer to be active and play outside (on my bike, weather permitting) HOWEVER, I am also a member over at the FB Lounge and I really hate the FB Some of the "core" that started the FB site was annoyed with the moderators and site rules,they far prefered to be able to use "inappropriate" language and verbally abuse people they didn't like or agree with.

Personally, I like this format, I find few problems and there are enough old friends here that refuse to play the FB game that I will keep coming back. One thing that kind of irritated me is when they instituted the "x minutes between posts" thing.

All in all, I like RBR, rent is cheap and the company is pretty good (notice I never mention the word reasonable...............)
    FB killed it here, then the politics/idjuts killed FB lounge.

That and you can only post every 2 days here :-) but it does keep teh spammers away
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Boobies!
    In the tale of 'things that went wrong with RBR"--the fact that they destroyed the links to countless pictures didn't help in their crude attempts at upgrading the forum software,

This was true especially for the Retro forum, where bike nerds would post and debate about who made what bike or component when--often solved by lots of detailed photos--that's all destroyed unless the pictures were elsewhere. There used to be lots of good exchanges there, but it is a shadow of its former glory, especially after Dave Hickey left--he was your dream volunteer--welcoming, knowledgeable and funny.

I see a few other refugees from RBR on Paceline, where I usually go these days for bike talk. Well-moderated, no politics and some very knowledgeable cats, who are interested in good bikes--no endless conversations about Chinese carbon frames for example. And they have an 'in-house' Campy expert, which is good!

But I do take the general point--these types of forums are getting less traffic--the kids are on Instagram or Snapchat, the middle-aged guys are on Facebook (there's been an explosion in FB groups catering to the Retro crowd for example)...

But I do miss the old days of lots of stupid funny, wise-ass commentary etc combined with a real love for bikes and cycling...and the group of people who coalesced here for a time.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Like others have said, most people lurk and don't post.

Just look at how any non-regular poster is treated when they post a question.

Typical responses include criticizing their spelling and/or grammar, or their incorrect use of a nomenclature. Questioning their choices in bike style/type/brand/size/color, etc....

Look at a typical newbie question, and the majority of the responses are critical of the poster without providing any useful information.

It's not hard to understand why there isn't much bike related content.

I log in here once or twice a day. Most days the ratio of cycling related posts are 1/10 of the total posts, most of which are in PO and Lounge.

By contrast, Weight Weenies has hundreds of new cycling related posts every day, and nearly zero non-cycling related posts.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    They left to spend their time at forums that was about bikes, cycling, or cycling related as number one first and foremost the topics and posts. Places where there are hundreds or such posts a day. The posters are diverse and there are few posters that think they enjoy some privileged status or posters that group post as part of an unofficial members only club.

Some of those that left will check back in here on rare occasions.

Seat's not level
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    They left to spend their time at forums that was about bikes, cycling, or cycling related as number one first and foremost the topics and posts. Places where there are hundreds or such posts a day. The posters are diverse and there are few posters that think they enjoy some privileged status or posters that group post as part of an unofficial members only club.

Some of those that left will check back in here on rare occasions.
    Where are these bike-related forums you speak of?

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Where are these bike-related forums you speak of?
    BannanaHammockForums.net

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast