Where has everyone gone? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post

Insult sans facts noted, along with the observation that certain posters routinely whine about "moderator bias" instead of looking to who controls their own keyboard.

If you think that PO is what's caused the decline in traffic, explain why other forum-oriented sites that don't have political sub-forums are also seeing declines in their traffic.

Or, you can just mod-bash, if that makes you feel more...accomplished.
    I don't understand this thread. For those of us have been around a long we have seen hundreds of posters come and go. But with so many different social media platforms available it is just inevitable that older social media archetypes will slowly obsolesce as other platforms emerge, grow and change.

Trying to find a boogie man (PO) when RBR forums is actually just a micro universe for all things technological seems so very odd.

Couple that with a shift in what kids are doing, I believe bike sales have declined almost every year for almost 2 decades. Fewer riders, fewer people even seeking out advice. If I were just starting I would probably just type "reddit cycling" and boom, or just ask google or Alexa or Sirri the question I needed answered and it would find it for me. If I needed a review I wouldn't come here, I would hit up youtube.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    I don't understand this thread. For those of us have been around a long we have seen hundreds of posters come and go. But with so many different social media platforms available it is just inevitable that older social media archetypes will slowly obsolesce as other platforms emerge, grow and change.

Trying to find a boogie man (PO) when RBR forums is actually just a micro universe for all things technological seems so very odd.

Couple that with a shift in what kids are doing, I believe bike sales have declined almost every year for almost 2 decades. Fewer riders, fewer people even seeking out advice. If I were just starting I would probably just type "reddit cycling" and boom, or just ask google or Alexa or Sirri the question I needed answered and it would find it for me. If I needed a review I wouldn't come here, I would hit up youtube.
    Yep.

Anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but I've noticed that while I'll see roadies around the area fairly frequently, I can go weeks without seeing one who's under fifty years old. The local cycling clubs here are pretty active (and I don't hang with the "serious racers" one, not being a racer, so it may be different there), but every function I've shown up for seems quite heavy-up on older white males.*

Plenty of formerly-popular sports over the years (looking at you, Racquetball), as workout tastes ebb and flow.

*Golddiggers take note!
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

Ricardo Cabeza

Where has everyone gone?

You should know as well as anyone, because I've walked you through this a number of times, that posts get deleted and threads locked because of posters making personal attacks (this is almost always the case), or mischaracterizing others' posts (i.e., "putting words in others' mouths"), deflecting discussions, or garden-variety trolling.

What does and doesn't fly is all spelled out in the PO rules.

If my personal attitude towards your political orientation were the driving force behind any sanctioning, you'd have a lot fewer posts in PO than the thousands you've typed.

There are also some RBR posting rules, too, somewhere on the site.
    Except for the myriad of insults which you have let stand when they are directed at certain people. GFY is an example. IIRC sandan got a permaban for using that.

This isn’t just one person “whining” either. A significant number of have noticed a pattern, even if you don’t.

And this sort of thing is exactly what DaveG is talking about - why bring that acrimony out into the other fora?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andy69; 07-31-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Opus was just napping
    I know that Coolhand really likes it when people start accusing the mods of bias.

He just loves us folks in PO in the first place so he gets doubly happy when he has to join in the fun.

Again so odd, no one has to be a mod and they certainly don't need the aggravation. I think if XXL were to stop being a mod they would just shutter the shop. Can't see anyone of us remaining idiots doing what he does. But oh, let's complain anyway.

(Guinness bottles clink) BRILLIANT!
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Except for the myriad of insults which you have let stand when they are directed at certain people. GFY is an example. IIRC sandan got a permaban for using that.

This isn’t just one person “whining” either. A significant number of have noticed a pattern, even if you don’t.

And this sort of thing is exactly what DaveG is talking about - why bring that acrimony out into the other fora?

Then why perpetuate it here, Andy??? Just trying to get the last word in?
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Then why perpetuate it here, Andy??? Just trying to get the last word in?
    I wasn’t the one who brought it in here

Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

What the what???

Sooo... just perpetuating it and trying to get the last word. Got it.

The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    This thread is a SHINING EXAMPLE of what is wrong with this place.
    Last edited by Finx; 08-01-2019 at 04:25 PM.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    This thread is a SHINGING EXAMPLE of what is wrong with this place.
    Bad spelling is what's wrong with this place?
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Ricardo Cabeza
    Sooo... just perpetuating it and trying to get the last word. Got it.

Looks like that’s what YOU’RE doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperAndy's Garage

What the what???
    Looks like that’s what YOU’RE doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not at all.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Not at all.

See? You just did it again.

SuperAndy's Garage

What the what???
    See? You just did it again.

I don’t know what you’re talking about, Andy.

xxl

[Sigh.]

We've been through all that before, Andy69, but I'll repeat it for you here:

I don't read every single post on PO. Some days, I don't read any of them.

What that means is that if a particular post gets your shorts all abunch, you should report that post.

Often, posters don't, instead choosing to escalate the conflict--sucking posters in this way is the goal of many an internet troll--and they lash out, and get themselves into trouble. Typical defenses of those posters boils down to "they started it!" and complaints about "moderator bias" usually follow, because they seem to think that any assault on their dignities, even if imagined, is justification for their escalations.

Bear in mind, too, that just because you think a post is problematic doesn't mean it actually is; some posters simply don't take criticism or disagreement well, blow up when confronted with it, and then think that it's the OP's fault they lost their shizzles.

Did you report any of this "myriad" of posts you think were out-of-bounds? That's what the "report post" button is for.*

BTW, I was not the moderator when sandan got perma-banned, don't know what exactly he got banned for, but he was an ******* of truly epic proportions here, and richly deserved what he got. Good riddance, in my estimation.

If you (and DaveG) had concerns about posters "bringing in acrimony," why didn't you beeyotch about this post?:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/lo...ml#post5330361

*Even reporting a post doesn't mean that the post is the problem; as noted, some posters just don't brook disagreement very well, and react poorly even when that disagreement is done in a reasonable fashion. These posters typically think that "moderator bias" is the reason that the reported post wasn't deleted, and they have real trouble grasping the notion that reported posts are reported to all the mods (and possibly the admins, I don't know).

xxl

Neither was I.

a real member's member
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    As 'online culture' develops, it looks more and more like a Monty Python skit. This particular subforum always reminds me of that skit: "I've come here for an argument".....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    "I've come here for an argument".....
    No you haven't.

(Joking, of course)
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    No you haven't......
    (sigh)...An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    M: An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    i've noticed too, after taking a couple years of biking. bought a new Supersix HM Dura Ace. asked a bunch of questions and a bunch of stupid ass replies. f that. i went over to weight weenies and get much more useful replies there.

i was in the ave Some Weight - Life, liberty and the pursuit of light weight forum asking to see where i can drop weight on the bike and got nothing but useless replies. literally from people with 15k posts over 5 years. Some of them must post 30x a day and have 29 useless comments.

Thats why this forum is dying. mods need to keep the threads relevant and on topic.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    i've noticed too, after taking a couple years of biking. bought a new Supersix HM Dura Ace. asked a bunch of questions and a bunch of stupid ass replies. f that. i went over to weight weenies and get much more useful replies there.

i was in the ave Some Weight - Life, liberty and the pursuit of light weight forum asking to see where i can drop weight on the bike and got nothing but useless replies. literally from people with 15k posts over 5 years. Some of them must post 30x a day and have 29 useless comments.

Thats why this forum is dying. mods need to keep the threads relevant and on topic.
    I always figured dropping some weight off the rider was the most effective :-)

SuperAndy's Garage

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Because I don't like to be blamed for "bias."
    I can contest, you've been everything and fair during my posting affairs in all forums. You've even reach out to clarify some of my bizzare comments, as Trout too. I have the highest respect for you personally. And suspect you and Trout have many languages under your belts to give an inch on understanding.

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/lo...ml#post5323449
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345