Where has everyone gone?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Where has everyone gone?

It seems that this forum has become less and less active over the past few years. Where is everyone going? Reddit? Paceline? Somewhere else? Or are online forums simply becoming less popular?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    It seems that this forum has become less and less active over the past few years. Where is everyone going? Reddit? Paceline? Somewhere else? Or are online forums simply becoming less popular?
    My guess.. more posts in PO than anywhere else made people avoid RBR.. I'm part of that problem heh..

RoadBikeReview Member
    the decision to nuke Podium Girls chased off some of the pervy types.

then, a number of members that frequented the Lounge moved to FB. that accounts for the lack of endlessly repeated memes and LOLcat pics...

that leaves noobs asking really basic questions and PO which is useful only if you're one of those weird 'undecided' voters.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Proud luddite
    I blame Russian tampering.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I blame Russian tampering.
    No, it's Lance's fault

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    My guess.. more posts in PO than anywhere else made people avoid RBR.. I'm part of that problem heh..
    This. And this. And this. Also this.

Some people who are interested in cycling and want to use the "New Posts" list get a bit exasperated to see 25 new posts, and 23 are PO.

Cycling forums are alive and well elsewhere, including the sister mtbr site. The ONLY difference between here and elsewhere is PO. One plus for here IMO though, except for thinking PO is cool, the mods at rbr are great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hmm MTBR has become a pretty grumpy frigid place too though. Was fun 20 years ago I recall. Facebook groups seem pretty cordial and friendly. Maybe because the pages I frequent on FB are not cycling related? Or because they are not so anonymous.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    No, it's Lance's fault
    Well, there may be some truth to that.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Nope. It was apathetic absent admins.

A) First came the site owners inflicted massive forum bloat no one wants or uses.

B) Then came several days/weeks long periods of mass-spammer dumpings that brought all conversation to its knees

C) Then there was a malware script (well bitcoin miner, but same difference) the site got infected with

D) More spam attacks...and finally Coolhand and others got permission to actually admin the board and banhammer the spammers...by which point it was really too late.

And through it all the admins were no where to be found, and to this day never respond to posts in Site Feedback. (B) in particular made all the regulars go to RBR Facebook.

PO still trudges on because enough of us are hard headed and like to argue with one another. Although many of the more interesting cats there moved on. Shame as some were absurdly knowledgeable about certain very salient fields to PO discourse.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Personally, I find the FB format a bit to FBish. I used to be a frequent poster at "Bicycling" but the old group seemed to have pulled up stakes.

I guess I need to get with the times and learn FB cuz that's what FB says I should do.

Frog Whisperer
    I have to admit, that I spend far less time here than I used too. Part of the issue is that I decided not to sit inside and type, I would far prefer to be active and play outside (on my bike, weather permitting) HOWEVER, I am also a member over at the FB Lounge and I really hate the FB Some of the "core" that started the FB site was annoyed with the moderators and site rules,they far prefered to be able to use "inappropriate" language and verbally abuse people they didn't like or agree with.

Personally, I like this format, I find few problems and there are enough old friends here that refuse to play the FB game that I will keep coming back. One thing that kind of irritated me is when they instituted the "x minutes between posts" thing.

All in all, I like RBR, rent is cheap and the company is pretty good (notice I never mention the word reasonable...............)
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I think everytime the site asplodes, a few more ppl leave...

Or maybe it's the drugs I'm selling 'em. One of the two.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    any time you feel that RBR isn't meeting your standards, drift over to Bike Forums for awhile...lotta seriously boring discussions happening over there.

it's a good place to be lectured by old geezers on recumbents.

and if you like helicopter-parent type mods with itchy trigger fingers, they have that too.
    Last edited by Oxtox; 06-04-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    A full-time job, a first child, a second on the way any week now and hardly enough time for long bike rides. Not that my situation is unique, but that is why I have less time to make all things cycling the center of my life. I still commute daily though, so I can't complain too much and I hope I never lose my joy of riding bikes, of all types!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Kids really put a damper on it. I can't remember the last time I went on a long bike ride on the weekend. Thank god for commuting, otherwise I'd ride very little. Before kids, any week with less than 200 miles was wimpy -- now if I ride all five days I get 165 miles in which seems stellar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    Its a lot different than when I started here 15 years ago. Back then you needed to check in frequently because there was so much happening. Now, not so much. It's sad but I am not sure there is anything that can be done to reverse the trend. I do think PO has hurt, but there are probably several reasons

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Time marches on. Traditional Old School() web forums become passe. Nevertheless, I still love this forum. Lots of really bright, articulate people with opinions galore but no axes to grind. Long may it wave!
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Time marches on. Traditional Old School() web forums become passe. Nevertheless, I still love this forum. Lots of really bright, articulate people with opinions galore but no axes to grind. Long may it wave!
    The guys that get snotty about bar wrapping need to ride more and judge less.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on Tropics
    Last edited by Eretz; 06-04-2019 at 06:37 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    The time line for RBR was great during key periods on the interwebs.

• Cyclists grouped, met and shared in the early 2000's with a format easy on our eyes in the boom of tech and high speed

• Then came the comeback kid, his yellow bracelets for a buck and a supplementary I.V. bag or last season's blood plasma with an accompany phrase, "Are TREK's good bikes?"

• Times were good, laptops were expensive, platforms were limited and we mostly harboured in dark on desktops across the world typing feverishly through QWERT [or AZERTY in my case no pun intended]

• Then came the cellular, a better platform and a place called FacePlant (™) where all the over sharing in unsecured personal settings became an attraction and so did the bosses locking down on "cyber" abuse

• late 2000's the 99 weekers, a bad economy, iPhones w/speed and loads of time to ride and type, for sum

• And here, we, are, presently, in a booming economy, working, busy and in need for a single second, during snapchat and in a text , or through a search engine devoted to a newer chain or crank or in tights doing all three with zero tolerance for a single plastic staw and our children AreUs.

And what was the question?

Who do I see about getting on THAT sinking ship?

Frog Whisperer

• Cyclists grouped, met and shared in the early 2000's with a format easy on our eyes in the boom of tech and high speed

• Then came the comeback kid, his yellow bracelets for a buck and a supplementary I.V. bag or last season's blood plasma with an accompany phrase, "Are TREK's good bikes?"

• Times were good, laptops were expensive, platforms were limited and we mostly harboured in dark on desktops across the world typing feverishly through QWERT [or AZERTY in my case no pun intended]

• Then came the cellular, a better platform and a place called FacePlant (™) where all the over sharing in unsecured personal settings became an attraction and so did the bosses locking down on "cyber" abuse

• late 2000's the 99 weekers, a bad economy, iPhones w/speed and loads of time to ride and type, for sum

• And here, we, are, presently, in a booming economy, working, busy and in need for a single second, during snapchat and in a text , or through a search engine devoted to a newer chain or crank or in tights doing all three with zero tolerance for a single plastic staw and our children AreUs.

This
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Who do I see about getting on THAT sinking ship?
    And this!

These are the reasons I stay here!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I joined here in college, when I got into fixing up steel bikes as a side hobby. There was an abundance of helpful experts here. The last 2 technical questions I've asked were met with an inordinate amount of negativity and unpleasantries. You make the bed you lay in, and if it weren't for the fact that I've been here for 7,500 posts and know the jerks from the moreons, I'd most probably be driven off.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Sweet Potato Kugel

Hold My Beer

Back on Tropics
    Last edited by Eretz; 06-04-2019 at 06:48 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

This is why you should always Reply With Quote.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    any time you feel that RBR isn't meeting your standards, drift over to Bike Forums for awhile...lotta seriously boring discussions happening over there.

it's a good place to be lectured by old geezers on recumbents.

and if you like helicopter-parent type mods with itchy trigger fingers, they have that too.
    This is an understatement. And you can get tons of bad mechanical advice.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast