Where I Put My Peloton - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    feelin' Freddie Mercury
    And I thought I was the only one who hated that creepy awful Peloton ad.

Well-played, internet. Especially the Eva Victor twitter video, which is the perfect antidote.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    And I thought I was the only one who hated that creepy awful Peloton ad.

Well-played, internet. Especially the Eva Victor twitter video, which is the perfect antidote.
    "If you have one of these you'll be slim, young, and gorgeous just like the model" ... pretty standard marketing wouldn't you say?
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    "If you have one of these you'll be slim, young, and gorgeous just like the model" ... pretty standard marketing wouldn't you say?

Over on BikeForums....the REAL story is about the #woke #perpetuallytriggered generation constantly whining and taking offense at everything.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I am really amazed at the latest ad where the guy sneaks out of bed to ride his peleton, his son catches him cause he had a bad dream. Cut to the overhead where everyone in the neighborhood is up riding their peleton, in the winter, in the middle of the night.....
    perfect time to have a workout, that's when I am really thinking ................'WORKOUT TIME'!
    BANNED

Seat's not level
    Apparently one only rides a peloton indoors on what looks like really nice days to be out on a bike...
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    If that’s all it was, I don’t think it’d be getting the response it is.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Over on BikeForums....the REAL story is about the #woke #perpetuallytriggered generation constantly whining and taking offense at everything.
    BikeForums is the place that made me realize how good RBR is, warts n’all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If that’s all it was, I don’t think it’d be getting the response it is.
    That it one of the key purposes of marketing SS --- a response. Seems to be working in this era of advertising overload.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    That it one of the key purposes of marketing SS --- a response. Seems to be working in this era of advertising overload.
    Nowadays, idiots are often credited as ‘playing 3D chess’ it seems, when 98 times out of 100, it’s all they can do not to light their own hair on fire.

Neophyte
    All these different articles about the latest commercials in the last 24 hours kind of funny to me, the crappy ad has been out for weeks.

Nothing causes the desire to punch somebody in the face more than a Peloton ad. Except maybe a Michelob Ultra ad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nowadays, idiots are often credited as ‘playing 3D chess’ it seems, when 98 times out of 100, it’s all they can do not to light their own hair on fire.
    Doubt Peleton is marketing to that audience SS. In fact, here is what their target audience is. Peleton CEO John Foley said his target users are different, saying people in their twenties and early thirties have more time to go to the gym, and to boutique cycling classes. Peloton’s target demographic, however, is 35 to 65 year old. “These are people who have children, live in suburbs, have nice homes, they have the money and space but don’t necessarily have time,” Foley said.

Sounds like married yuppies with fat wallets and little time who can overlook silly commercials. Just a guess, but probably not the hardcore RBR member that has a lot of time on their hands to partake in The Lounge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    what's an 'ss'?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    what's an 'ss'?
    SytemShock ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Good to see this thread back alive. Nothing better than Peloton bashing IMO. We should have a whole subforum for it

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Doubt Peleton is marketing to that audience SS. In fact, here is what their target audience is. Peleton CEO John Foley said his target users are different, saying people in their twenties and early thirties have more time to go to the gym, and to boutique cycling classes. Peloton’s target demographic, however, is 35 to 65 year old. “These are people who have children, live in suburbs, have nice homes, they have the money and space but don’t necessarily have time,” Foley said.

Sounds like married yuppies with fat wallets and little time who can overlook silly commercials. Just a guess, but probably not the hardcore RBR member that has a lot of time on their hands to partake in The Lounge.
    I dunno Trout, I'm gonna go with Occam's Razor here, i.e. the simplest explanation is the most likely to be true.

Plenty of corporations are still run by semi-sexist men who remain tone-deaf on certain issues. So, some marketing bros likely got together a few months back, and said something along the lines of...

"Who's our #1 audience?"
    "Fitness fanatics and wannabe fitness fanatics."
    "Hmm, we're kinda maxed out there. Where can we expand to?"
    "Well, it's an expensive product. And guys on average have more buying power than women still.
    "Wait, I know! GIFTS! Xmas isn't that far away."
    "Yeah, go on."
    "It'll be a guy buying a Peloton for his wife or girlfriend, to keep her hot. A pretty well-off guy, the kind of guy who'd have a hot wife, like a trophy wife or something."
    "Good, good! And she'll be okay with a gift like that?"
    "Yeah, yeah, no problem. In the commercial, we'll make her kind of timid and thankful. You know, receptive."
    "Awesome! We're really killin' it here! Let's get this bad boy scripted, storyboarded, shot and cut in time to carpet-bomb the Holidays with it."
    "Done and done. What could go wrong?"

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Apparently one only rides a peloton indoors on what looks like really nice days to be out on a bike...

There are two legit reasons for this:

A) Living somewhere such that it takes hour(s) to get oustide of jammed city urban streets

B) Not wanting to risk life and limb sharing the road with cellphone zombies behind the wheel.

Not everyone lives somewhere such that they have easy access to streets they don't risk being killed on every time they ride. As such indoor fitness is better than no fitness.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    I dunno Trout, I'm gonna go with Occam's Razor here, i.e. the simplest explanation is the most likely to be true.

Plenty of corporations are still run by semi-sexist men who remain tone-deaf on certain issues. So, some marketing bros likely got together a few months back, and said something along the lines of...

"Who's our #1 audience?"
    "Fitness fanatics and wannabe fitness fanatics."
    "Hmm, we're kinda maxed out there. Where can we expand to?"
    "Well, it's an expensive product. And guys on average have more buying power than women still.
    "Wait, I know! GIFTS! Xmas isn't that far away."
    "Yeah, go on."
    "It'll be a guy buying a Peloton for his wife or girlfriend, to keep her hot. A pretty well-off guy, the kind of guy who'd have a hot wife, like a trophy wife or something."
    "Good, good! And she'll be okay with a gift like that?"
    "Yeah, yeah, no problem. In the commercial, we'll make her kind of timid and thankful. You know, receptive."
    "Awesome! We're really killin' it here! Let's get this bad boy scripted, storyboarded, shot and cut in time to carpet-bomb the Holidays with it."
    "Done and done. What could go wrong?"

I am 100% certain everyone is happy another person has decided to do something for the health regardless if they can afford a stationary bike or not.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I am 100% certain everyone is happy another person has decided to do something for the health regardless if they can afford a stationary bike or not.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Eretz; 1 Week Ago at 04:47 PM.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    interesting
    Last edited by Eretz; 1 Week Ago at 04:48 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Again, judging from the reaction, it seems to be a mite more complex than that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The Peloton ad made NPR today.

The ironic thing is, I heard it while riding rollers in my not so picturesque basement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    The Peloton ad made NPR today.

The ironic thing is, I heard it while riding rollers in my not so picturesque basement.
    Good for you. There is nothing to feel guilty about taking care of your health being it overlooking the Mediterranean on the veranda of your $10 Million villa, or your humble abode. But pocking a little fun at Peleton for its advertisement seems entirely appropriate .. albeit not too seriously of an undertaking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Not everyone lives somewhere such that they have easy access to streets they don't risk being killed on every time they ride.
    Then why are they living there?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Then why are they living there?
    Because that's where their jobs/families are. Other than a loop around the local park, I have to drive an hour to a spot where I can completely open the taps and not have to worry about traffic/lights/pedestrian traffic. The loop is nice, but gets old- and even that occasionally has traffic that slows you down. A stationary bike lets you go as hard as you can every time.

That said, I've never really been able to get into exercise bikes. In law school, they had some fancy ones that were more like video games (you could actually steer) and that did a strava-like KOM. Those were the only ones that could get me remotely motivated. The "cycling class" where someone shouts inspirational slogans at you never did anything for me.

As for the ad- It's a bit of yuppie excess (which is certainly worth making fun of), but most of the comments seem to be overly obsessing over the fact that the actor was never overweight, and seem to assume the husband wanted her to lose weight- as if the only reason to exercise is weight loss. That seems to be an unhealthy attitude.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Controversial / sexist Peloton ad? https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/04/pelo...preted-ad.html

No more sexist than the ad for Chevy trucks, where the husband buys an SUV for his wife and a pickup for himself, but his wife claims the truck.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast