Where I Put My Peloton
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

Where I Put My Peloton

RoadBikeReview Member
    you can fool some of the people all of the time...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Clue Heywood seems to have a lot of time on his hands.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I think this captures the conspicuous consumption vibe of the Peloton pretty well

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    And now that anyone who will ever buy one of those bikes has it, they've shifted to selling the on-line classes which is where the real money is.

I do like that link, making fun of all the perfect people riding that dumbass exercise bike in a sparsely furnished room of some modern 3 million dollar house or condo.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    And now that anyone who will ever buy one of those bikes has it, they've shifted to selling the on-line classes which is where the real money is.

I do like that link, making fun of all the perfect people riding that dumbass exercise bike in a sparsely furnished room of some modern 3 million dollar house or condo.
    They've been selling the classes as a monthly subscription for a long while. Comes out to $500/year thereabouts.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    They've been selling the classes as a monthly subscription for a long while. Comes out to $500/year thereabouts.
    $500! For that kind of money you can buy ceramic bearing or really fancy derailleur pulleys

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    $500! For that kind of money you can buy ceramic bearing or really fancy derailleur pulleys

When your loan to pay for the bike is $60-70/month...what is another $40 for classes? LOL.

https://www.onepeloton.com/shop/bike

It even comes with a whopping 12-month warranty! Nothing says "we believe in our product that costs a couple mortgage payments" than a 12-month warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    When your loan to pay for the bike is $60-70/month...what is another $40 for classes? LOL.

https://www.onepeloton.com/shop/bike

It even comes with a whopping 12-month warranty! Nothing says "we believe in our product that costs a couple mortgage payments" than a 12-month warranty.
    While we are mocking them, Peloton managed to raise $550M in new investment capital last year, so Wall Street must feel that selling workout snob appeal is good business. I just wish I thought of it first

Adorable Furry Hombre
    While we are mocking them, Peloton managed to raise $550M in new investment capital last year, so Wall Street must feel that selling workout snob appeal is good business. I just wish I thought of it first
    Gamblers will gamble on anything...no matter how idiotic or ludicrous.

Paltrow's "Goop" brand is valued by Wall Street at $250,000,000USD despite producing nothing but snake oil

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, but notice they've changed the marketing from buying the machine which I assume came with some classes initially to buying the classes and using any equipment. Maybe that was the plan all along.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Yeah, but notice they've changed the marketing from buying the machine which I assume came with some classes initially to buying the classes and using any equipment. Maybe that was the plan all along.
    I don't remember them being complementary ever...then again I never watched them that close.

I do remember the years of seeing the yellow TdF bike commercials that were $2000...for just a dumb exercise bike.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I don't remember them being complementary ever...then again I never watched them that close.

I do remember the years of seeing the yellow TdF bike commercials that were $2000...for just a dumb exercise bike.
    I remember that too. I wonder how many of those are gathering dust in someone's basement. I learned the indoor riding sucks lesson years ago on a $150 Performance trainer that I later gave away to a friend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Gamblers will gamble on anything...no matter how idiotic or ludicrous.

Paltrow's "Goop" brand is valued by Wall Street at $250,000,000USD despite producing nothing but snake oil
    I imagine the average Peloton buyer is not uber-rich. They are probably someone who aspires to be like in the commercial (rich, beautiful, cultured). They are likely still paying it off on their credit card.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I'm kind of surprised at the judging going on here considering that plenty of non-cyclists are saying the exact same sort of things about lycra clad men riding expensive toys on the street.

$500/year is not much more than a gym membership which often includes free classes. And it's a he** of a lot less than my wife pays for her personal trainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I'm kind of surprised at the judging going on here considering that plenty of non-cyclists are saying the exact same sort of things about lycra clad men riding expensive toys on the street.

$500/year is not much more than a gym membership which often includes free classes. And it's a he** of a lot less than my wife pays for her personal trainer.
    dir-t, I think the mockery here has to do with the outlandishly snobby ad campaign, not the cost of the classes. It's hard not to laugh at the captions in the link that rideit posted that use photos from the actual commercials

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    dir-t, I think the mockery here has to do with the outlandishly snobby ad campaign,
    Fair enough. Since most of my TV watching is Netflix I've only seen one ad for Peloton. So, I haven't picked up on the snobbishness.

On top of that, it seems a bit hypocritical for "brobible" to call out people for snobbishness when they also hawk "premium handblown borosilicate glasses for the ultimate bourbon drinking experience".

https://brobible.com/gear/article/du...y-glasses-set/
    Last edited by dir-t; 01-29-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Proud luddite
    I read a news story last year about the Peloton company. They originally priced the Peloton at under $1000 because they wanted to make it affordable to as many people as possible....but they didn't sell very many. They did a little market research and learned that folks thought at that cheap price that it was a cheap product. So they took the exact same product, doubled the price, and then launched this fancy-shmancy ad campaign and voila, sales skyrocketed! Gotta love it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Fit women on bikes sells.... I wonder what the % male/female on purchases/fitness sweat fests?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Peloton ads are tainted. You can't (or shouldn't) help a Barnum pitch no matter how slick and shiny. If you classify it alongside it's fellow home exercise equipment that promises "perfect" results, (ala modern focus group driven media ads) ya gotta be skeptical!!!

The "home" gym has proven quite marketable for at least 50 years (Chuck still sells his doohickey) and wi fi makes it irresistible!!!