Where my HVAC peeps at???
    What the what???

Where my HVAC peeps at???

Long story - last year the home AC unit had a coolant leak with ice buildup in the condenser. Repair dude sealed the leak and recharged the system and the rest of the summer it worked just fine.

Fast forward almost exactly one year later and the same thing has just happened. AC doesn't blow cold and I can see the ice buildup I presume from the coolant leak.

Is it time for a new unit or is there a chance another repair might do the trick? If it's time for a new unit, how big a hit are we talking about? Using the Google I'm seeing 3k - 5k on average. Does that sound about right?
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I would consider a couple of things.
    1. How old is the system? If it is 20yo, I would spring for a new unit. If it is 7 yo, I'd get it repaired again.
    2. Is the ice buildup at a) the same location, like the patch didn't work or at b) completely new area. If a) I would call the guy and let him know, he may reattempt for free, or if you think he's not good, get someone else to fix it. If b) the piping or something may be substandard or problem with that run and go get a new unit.
    Price seems reasonable.
    You got a one package unit or split system? If you have a split system, be sure and get a unit that will match up with what you got inside. You just can't hook anything to anything.
    BANNED

We're no better than mice

4 what it is worth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide View Post
    4 what it is worth.
    About 4k?

scott s.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Federal laws (unless Trump overturned 'em) prohibited the use of old refrigerant starting this year. So, if your system runs on the old refrigerant (R-410?), you're gonna have to find a "shady" company to refill you and repair the leak.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Where was/is the leak? Individual components can be replaced and that's more economical than replacing the system some times, depending on the age.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

What the what???
    Hard to pinpoint where the leak is at the moment because of the ice buildup. There is ice both outside on one of the hoses coming off the condenser, and inside on the evaporator coil. I assume the unit came with the place so it is 16 or 17 years old. It does use the old school refrigerant and when the guy recharged it last year he mentioned the new regulations and the fact that it's not going to be available anymore. And, of course, our home warranty doesn't cover refrigerant, only the mechanicals...

Thanks for posting that video, EverydayRide, it was informative.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Take a hammer to it, it will become mechanical failure.
    BANNED

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Take a hammer to it, it will become mechanical failure.
    I like the way you're thinking...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I just put in a new one for 4,600.00. My old one was 20 years old.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I had a similar problem at our last house a few years ago. All I can remember is the guy replaced a capacitor and everything worked fine the next few years we lived in the house.

I goggled it and found this:

https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/20...-or-contactor/

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I had a similar problem at our last house a few years ago. All I can remember is the guy replaced a capacitor and everything worked fine the next few years we lived in the house.

I goggled it and found this:

https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/20...-or-contactor/
    Last year, when it conked out, our home warranty company said they don't pay for the refrigerant, so we were out a little over $500 getting it re-charged.

Fast forward to today, the repair guy said it was, indeed, low again on refrigerant but since it wasn't gone completely the warrant company won't pay to have it fixed. In essence, it's not broken enough yet. But the good news is that he recharged it (I didn't think the coolant was still available) and all I paid was the deductible for the service call. So, I guess we limp along for another year or until it well and truly dies...

We're no better than mice

You Have a Leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    ...So, I guess we limp along for another year or until it well and truly dies...

via GIPHY

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    But the good news is that he recharged it (I didn't think the coolant was still available)
    My Wife's new shop needed one of the AC units recharged and it runs on the older freon too - the service guy said you can get it (which he did), it's cleaned up freon captured from other units so it's more expensive.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    My Wife's new shop needed one of the AC units recharged and it runs on the older freon too - the service guy said you can get it (which he did), it's cleaned up freon captured from other units so it's more expensive.
    Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of recycling used freon but it makes sense I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The old reclaimed freon R-22 is sent to a chemical company and cleaned and re-sold. There is no more new R-22 being manufactured so there is a finite supply left so the pricing is going through the roof.

If you your unit is 16-17 years old its at the end of it's life. If you can get through this season with it great, but plan on replacing it next year or the year after at the most. You'll most likely have to replace the indoor air handler or coil, if it's mounted on a furnace. Some of the older R-22 coils are not compatible with the new R-410 refrigerant plus you need to match a new indoor coil with a new outdoor condenser to get the higher efficiencies of the new equipment. If you just replace the condenser and it's a 14 or 16 seer but leave the old coil, you aren't going to get the 14 or 16 seer efficiency out of it and you'll be wasting your money.