The Who final tour
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

The Who final tour

My sisters talked my into going to see them this weekend in Philly. I was afraid to go because I thought there was a good chance they would suck and my good memories of the Who would be destroyed. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised. Roger Daltrey sounded good for a man of 75 (no, he did not do the scream on "Won't Get Fooled Again"). Pete's voice was a little more worse for wear but his guitar playing was dead on, and yes, he did plenty of windmills. Most of the concert they were backed by a 48 piece orchestra. That worked well on the many Tommy songs, not as well on others. They finished with an excellent edition of Baba O'Riley with violinist Katie Jacoby dancing between Pete and Roger while she did the solo. While it was not a quite sell-out, most of the stadium was filled. Might be with a look if they come to a venue near you. Maybe this really will be their "final" tour

Darling of The Lounge
    I've lost track of how many Who final tours have come and gone since 1982.

The group is like the furniture store in town that has been going out of business for the past five years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    P
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    My sisters talked my into going to see them this weekend in Philly. I was afraid to go because I thought there was a good chance they would suck and my good memories of the Who would be destroyed. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised. Roger Daltrey sounded good for a man of 75 (no, he did not do the scream on "Won't Get Fooled Again"). Pete's voice was a little more worse for wear but his guitar playing was dead on, and yes, he did plenty of windmills. Most of the concert they were backed by a 48 piece orchestra. That worked well on the many Tommy songs, not as well on others. They finished with an excellent edition of Baba O'Riley with violinist Katie Jacoby dancing between Pete and Roger while she did the solo. While it was not a quite sell-out, most of the stadium was filled. Might be with a look if they come to a venue near you. Maybe this really will be their "final" tour
    One of my best friends was at that show and said the exact same thing. Didnít know what to expect... Wound up really loving it and it was down memory lane as we went to that show at The Vet 37 years ago! Haha
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I heard that the reason they did all those final tours is that John E refused to give up his lifestyle when the income wasnít keeping up. I do feel fortunate to have seen him play with the band twice.

Russian Troll Farmer
    At this point, touring as "The Who" makes as much sense at Paul and Ringo touring as "The Beatles"....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    At this point, touring as "The Who" makes as much sense at Paul and Ringo touring as "The Beatles"....
    I don't see it that way, but I guess you just had to be negative. Pete has always been the creative force and Roger the front-man. They pretty much are they Who. Plenty of bands have had lineup up changes over the years it just that their were forced by deaths. Would the Stones be the Stones without Jagger or Richard? No, but they were still the Stones after Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman

RoadBikeReview Member
    Google says the tribute band "Wholigans" has been at it since 1982. Final tour soon?

Russian Troll Farmer
    I do remember the Who's first "final tour". I believe it was 35 years ago...Saw them then, and was disappointed.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I kinda checked out on The Who once they started appearing in beer commercials...
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I don't see it that way, but I guess you just had to be negative. Pete has always been the creative force and Roger the front-man. They pretty much are they Who. Plenty of bands have had lineup up changes over the years it just that their were forced by deaths. Would the Stones be the Stones without Jagger or Richard? No, but they were still the Stones after Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman
    Although I never saw the Who with Keith Moon I did see their first final tour with John Entwhistle. Without the dynamic rhythm section the Who was/is quite bland. Long live Keith Moon and The Ox.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    No joke, I saw them on their fourth final tour back in the '90s.

They are incredible so this good review doesn't surprise me.