Who's got a Honda CR-V?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master debator.

Who's got a Honda CR-V?

After much hemming and hawing I'm picking up a 2011 EX. It was a choice between that, an Equinox, and the Hyundai Tuscon. I feel like I am turning in my man card for a girl-mobile, but my truck rarely gets used as a truck it's just a grocery getter. I will gain 10 mpg, more interior space, and better utility for my life style.
    My only considerations are do I add the factory roof rack and trailer hitch or find aftermarket items...
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Good news everyone!
    Factory racks usually suck, and I'll bet you can find an aftermarket hitch for pennies compared to what you'd pay for a factory one.

Captain Obvious
    aftermarket hitch. i regret having the small factory hitch. it will be replaced.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Had one of the newer styles (ditched it for a minivan.....hows that for turning in the m-card?)

I had roof racks for it (yakima highrollers). If I had to do it again I would get a hitch rack, no questions. I never did like my bikes on the roof, kills mileage at hwy speeds. Annoying to get bike up there (I'm 6'3"). Always worried about hitting a low overhang. I'm sure there are others.

Get an aftermarket hitch. For racks I recommend either the Kuat NV or the 1up. Expensive but worth every penny. Kuat sherpa if you are on a budget.

I actually liked the CR-V, but our 2nd attempt at kids turned into #2 and #3 all in one go

JP
    Lizzie will ride free
    We have a 10 year old CRV. We love it. No issues. Get the aftermarket 2" bolt on hitch.
    "Another shot of the 6th Street Bridge. I guess I'm feeling sentimental because word is they're going to tear it down and build a replacement." DrRoebuck

http://subterraneanhomesickrandonneurblues.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good solid reliable SUV. Ain't nothing wrong with being smart.
    DFL>DNF>DNS

By the time you get home you won't remember why you didn't want to get off the couch.
    ---Val Garou

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I have a 2002 CRV (I purchased new) with just over 100k miles. No problems, no drama, it's a Honda. It's comfortable, safe, reliable, & I average 25 mpg. I put the seats down in the rear & lay the bike inside. I also carry a surfboard or sailboard on the roof racks. When I'm on the bike, the board goes inside, and vice versa. I'd like to get a van for more room to carry the gear inside, but it would be lots of $$: about $35k out the door for a new mid-level Honda Odyssey. When I think how much the payments would be on a new van, I'd rather drive my CRV for a few more years.

Always changing.....
    Same thing as tbsurf and JP said. Ours is a 2005 and has been rock solid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    After much hemming and hawing I'm picking up a 2011 EX. It was a choice between that, an Equinox, and the Hyundai Tuscon. I feel like I am turning in my man card for a girl-mobile, but my truck rarely gets used as a truck it's just a grocery getter. I will gain 10 mpg, more interior space, and better utility for my life style.
    My only considerations are do I add the factory roof rack and trailer hitch or find aftermarket items...
    I looked at the CRV back in 2008 and really liked it. At the time, my dealer also had a new Element on the showroom floor. The more I looked at the Element, the more I like it. The CRV was about $3K more than the Element, but it also gets about 3 mpg better fuel ecomomy than the Element.

I ended up buying a Certified Used 2008 Element that came with factory roof rack and 1 bike rack. The bike rack is a Thule bigmouth made for Honda. I'm not real impressed with the 70 lb capacity of my Honda roof rack or the Thule bigmouth bike rack. I wwould at least research aftermarket racks before I bought one from Honda. There are a couple of internet retailers who specialize in roof racks and hitch mounted equipment. Their selection is good and prices are very fair.

I bought an aftermarket 2" trailer hitch from U-Haul. It was $113 and I installed it myself. The one from Honda was closer to $250.

The CRV is nice and every mpg counts these days, but I sure do like my Element. I was sorry to see Honda discontinue the Element.

Beetpull DeLite
    I drove an '03 for a few thousand miles. It was a handy vehicle - good amount of space inside for its size. Hated the engine and tranny, it felt gutless as hell and shifts weren't very smooth. Wasn't the most comfortable interstate car IMO, it wasn't very quiet and felt slightly ponderous, and the small gas tank + meh mileage meant lots of stops.

The newer ones are much more comfortable though, they really refined the interior and ride quality. The engine's more powerful as well.

Not sure about the new ones, but the old ones recommended rear diff fluid changes at (IIRC) 50k miles, which is kind of unusual. Just follow the manual though.

Master debator.
    I test drove an Element. I was surprised at how much noisier the ride was over the CR-V, and the CR-V is actually fairly noisy compared to the competition. I thought the interior, while more utilitarian, was also rougher in appearance and reminded me of the Subaru Forrester. The Forrester looks dated inside and out, other than that it was okay. I couldn't get past the looks of the Element, along with the mileage that killed it for me.
    The CR-V I ordered comes with different tires than what I test drove, maybe that will help the noise somewhat. By noise I don't mean it's a deal-breaker, but the Equinox and Hyundai were pretty quiet.

Spicy Dumpling
    I test drove an Element. I was surprised at how much noisier the ride was over the CR-V, and the CR-V is actually fairly noisy compared to the competition. I thought the interior, while more utilitarian, was also rougher in appearance and reminded me of the Subaru Forrester. The Forrester looks dated inside and out, other than that it was okay. I couldn't get past the looks of the Element, along with the mileage that killed it for me.
    The CR-V I ordered comes with different tires than what I test drove, maybe that will help the noise somewhat. By noise I don't mean it's a deal-breaker, but the Equinox and Hyundai were pretty quiet.
    I've got a toaster and it is very noisy. The Element user group has suggestions for adding insulation that supposedly helps but I haven't tried it. We changed tires and it helped a bit. But it's a great utility vehicle. Both the CRV and Element use the same drivetrain IIRC.

Get a hitch through your local u-haul dealer and install it yourself. I think ours for the elderment was about 140 bucks and installed in 30 minutes. We skipped the roof rack, too high and we didn't need any more noise or drag than we already had.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Did you drive the Nissan Rogue or Murano? Just curious on opinions. My wife wants a small wagon, but no one seems to make an affordable one, so we are looking at the small SUV segment (CRV, Rouge, Forrester). My wife has a Civic and loves it, so she is leaning toward the CRV. A co-worker of mine has a Rouge and it seems really nice inside to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    We have a 2010 Odyssey. The hitch through Honda cost around $900. That wasn't even installed. Had an aftermarket put on or $350 and bought a nice 5-bike holding Thule for around $250. The trailer hitch racks are very convienent.
    Thinking about getting rid of my wife's junky 06 Mazda Tribute to get a CR-V. Honda makes great stuff. Don't worry about your man-card. People just look smarter driving Hondas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a 2004 CR-V. There's lots of warnings on both Yakima and Thule regarding hitch racks on my model due to the full size spare that hangs off the back door. I don't think you have that "feature" with the re-designed CR-V.

I had a significant investment in my old roof rack for the Accord but I would have had to buy new towers for the CR-V. Instead I got two sets of Mighty Mounts. They are much cheaper than towers. Mightmounts grab the factory roof rack and allowed me to attach my already existing roof racks to the car. The only disappointment was that my one Ankle Biter will not attach to Mighty Mounts. All in all saved me a bunch of money.

Scot
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot_Gore View Post
    ............... Instead I got two sets of Mighty Mounts. They are much cheaper than towers. Mightmounts grab the factory roof rack and allowed me to attach my already existing roof racks to the car. The only disappointment was that my one Ankle Biter will not attach to Mighty Mounts. ..............
    I also used the mighty mounts to fit my bike holder to my rack (yakima highroller -> factory rack).

They were pretty handy, but I was worried once I found the 30 lb weight limit clause on the might mounts.

They may have changed the specs since I bought mine (2007), but fortunately all my mountain bikes were under the limit. I'll see if I can dig up my instruction sheet/spec list where it states the 30 lb limit for the might mounts.

Back from the dead
    We have a 2007 model. I don't have a lot of complaints about it. Gas mileage is a lower than they claim, but that's almost always the case.

I put an aftermarket hitch on it. What a pain in the ass. It wasn't that hard to do, just a pain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I looked at them briefly, but found you had to get the $30k model in order to get bluetooth.....

the CRV seemed like a good choice at a price point closer to $20k, but at 30k, you've got options

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    I've dated a couple of girls that had them, both didn't like driving, so I pretty much drove it, so that gives me pretty good experience. Good, reliable, practical, but you pay the 'Honda' premium, for basically a more usefull civic/accord.

It will probably be my second choice for my next car, losing out to a Forrester (The XT for the same price wins).

oh, and after market hitch. always, any car.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
    I looked at them briefly, but found you had to get the $30k model in order to get bluetooth.....

the CRV seemed like a good choice at a price point closer to $20k, but at 30k, you've got options
    Yeah, forgot that they seem to be pretty pricey for what one gets. I think the owner of the one I drove paid like $25 for what seemed to be a stripper. WTF?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007

My 2011 Honda CR-V EX

Paid about 25 out the door. I would say the leather model was easily 1k more. It wasn't until 1 day after that I considered that. What's done is done.

In regards to hitch, I went to aftermarket (1 1/4"). Installed was 200. I have a Saris Thelma; discovered that the hitch was too recessed and had to get an extension.

That wasn't the case with my 2010 Fit. The Thelma fit fine without an extension.

I opted to go with a roof rack with the cross bars from the dealer. I have a kayak that I transport to the local lake when I do my tri swimming. I kept the Thule kayak holders; they attach VERY easily to the crossbars.

I don't know what I was smoking, but 6 months ago I got the new car fever, and the wife said yes, even though I had the Fit only 18 months. The Fit worked well; it was definetly a city car: it was never intended to drive on the highways for long periods of time. I averaged about 31 MPG in the winter; closer to 29 MPG in the summer (running AC).

I told myself numerous times: 6 months from now I'll look like a genius if I keep the Fit.

We've all heard about buyer's remorse and I got a really bad case; worse than I've ever had since I've been a car owner. The fluctation in gas economy was VERY different. I'm lucky to get about 21 MPG average in the CR-V.

But it is apples vs. oranges. The CR-V drives very differently from the Fit. It has way more room and is way more comfortable for my family when we go to our races. I especially like the cargo shelf in the rear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    We have an '03 CR-V with 107,000 miles on it. Due to my crappy commute it has become my daily driver since last October, and I must say it's fine for that.

I usually buy my accessories from http://www.handa-accessories.com/

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe View Post

I certainly wouldn't pay sticker price. The one I'm looking at is $25,4xx and they accepted $1,600 less. Most of the competition in that class of vehicle is around the same price, you won't find loaded Tiguan or Rav4 for $20,000 with the same options. The Hyundai Tuscon is cheaper, but around here demand for those is high and good luck finding one that they'll sell you below sticker. Right now it is a class of vehicle that is in demand. I wouldn't pay $30,000 for one, I'd bump up to a bigger vehicle, but then the mileage suffers which defeats the purpose.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'd take a hard look at a Sante Fe. Hyundai is fighting it's out of poor consumer perception. They hit the market place with so-so products, but that's really changed. Their warranty is the best in the business and they come with all the options. A loaded Sante Fe probably costs less than a stripped CRV. Next time I buy a car, I'm going to look at Hyundai.

I have an Odyssey and its been a good vehicle. The gas mileage isn't great, but the power is pretty good considering its basically a huge brick. I had to replace the motor mounts at around 60,000 miles which seemed a little goofy. And it wasn't cheap. It's a boring looking vehicle, there must be 5 on my street alone, but it serves it purpose. Lots of room for kids, their crap and bikes -- all inside the car, although some days I wish I could strap the kids to the roof.

Just Plain Bitter
    I have a 2004 CR-V and mostly love it. They are noisy cars when driving. Not a lot of sound dampening in them. I use a Thule Hitch mounted rack on my car and love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast