Why Are USB Cables For External Hard Drives...
    RoadBikeReview Member

Why Are USB Cables For External Hard Drives...

... so short, inflexible and unclearly marked that they usually demand two hands, a well lit port and a magnifier to figure out the orientation of the plug????

USB has been around for decades and 3.0 (at least) is blazingly fast compared to the original, but the actual interface (except for 3.0) is futzy!!!

My desktops provide a lot of USB (2.0 & 3.0) options on the front as well as multiple ports on the back, but the damn cables that come with most drives demand craptacular balancing acts to use!!! What the fudge!!!

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    ... so short, inflexible and unclearly marked that they usually demand two hands, a well lit port and a magnifier to figure out the orientation of the plug????

USB has been around for decades and 3.0 (at least) is blazingly fast compared to the original, but the actual interface (except for 3.0) is futzy!!!

My desktops provide a lot of USB (2.0 & 3.0) options on the front as well as multiple ports on the back, but the damn cables that come with most drives demand craptacular balancing acts to use!!! What the fudge!!!
    it's a gummit conspiracy
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member

The short answer is that you are using an obsolete standard, the features of which were necessitated by technology limitations that no longer exist. Traditional USB will eventually be replaced by USB-C, which makes the cable reversible, smaller, and much easier to plug in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C

It is already in wide circulation. You can buy plenty of external hard drives with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    USB cables seem to be subject to quantum effects where neither orientation works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    obsolete standard
    Jumbo Shrimp.

I get part of that, but it has been an issue for some time that is complicated by certain devices (price drives my drive choice more than what cable is included) that often take up near permanent residence on our computers. Indeed, many of my "ancient" 1.0 and 2.0 devices came with long (2 foot), albeit bulky cables that gave you more leeway in placement.

δanned
    I can answer the length question. It isn't just cost to the manufacturer. Every conducting material has resistivity. A longer cable means more total resistance and, in turn, slower data transfer speed. The advertised speed is contingent upon using the cable standard utilized among manufacturers. This is why modern phone chargers come with 3.3-foot cables. The fast charging feature works optimally when the cable isn't longer than that even though 6-foot cables are more convenient. You can use the latter, but they will have a greater voltage drop.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I find the amazing rise in the types of computer interconnects to be as frustrating as it is laughable. Nothing ever seems to fit. The plugs are too tiny for this sight-challenged soul to differentiate. I'm actually tempted to brush various matching nail polishes onto cables and the places they connect to in order to at least begin to sort things out.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I find the amazing rise in the types of computer interconnects to be as frustrating as it is laughable. Nothing ever seems to fit. The plugs are too tiny for this sight-challenged soul to differentiate. I'm actually tempted to brush various matching nail polishes onto cables and the places they connect to in order to at least begin to sort things out.
    THIS!!!!!!

At least I've not had to futz with anything but standard HDMI.... YET!!!! But, it seems the USB for my phone ain't the same as my camera ain't the same as video ain't the same as 15 year old earlier (thank dog I saved and labeled old device cables).

Frog Whisperer
    if ya'll had eyes on stalks like a lobster, with little attached lights you wouldn't be complaining!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    if ya'll had eyes on stalks like a lobster, with little attached lights you wouldn't be complaining!
    oh, I bet I WOULD be complaining.... juzalilbit.

Frog Whisperer
    oh, I bet I WOULD be complaining.... juzalilbit.
    Gotta admit, it would be pretty handy most of the time

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Gotta admit, it would be pretty handy most of the time
    Oh yeah, everything is fine, and then next thing you know, a big hand is dumping you into a pot of boiling water.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Oh yeah, everything is fine, and then next thing you know, a big hand is dumping you into a pot of boiling water.
    Story of my life, I spend most of my time in hot water

Yes I'm sure, that doesn't mean I'm right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Story of my life, I spend most of my time in hot water
    Generally, this is tolerable until someone brings out the drawn butta.