Windfall, or Danger, Will Robinson?
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

Windfall, or Danger, Will Robinson?

So, this is interesting. The ski shop job I do to stay active, ski for free, and get my parts at cost just gave me a $2.00 an hour raise. In going over the rate of pay on Paycom, it appears they also have been underpaying me by $2.00 an hour since June, 2015.
    my bad for not checking, but this isn’t my main source of income, so I looked at it more in terms of what I saved on cost/ep than what I actually earned.
    I like the job and want to continue, but clearly I have to see how they respond to this. If they changed my rate of pay sometime and didn’t tell me this, it’s worse. Is there a ‘statue of limitations’ in which I have to dispute a pay rate, or some such?
    they want me there, but this could mean thousands of dollars.

I am *pretty sure* they will make it right. The question really is, how much leverage do I have?
    I am thinking of asking the retroactive pay to include the new pay rate (meaning I would receive 4 dollars an hour for ~4000 hours), or am I getting greedy if I ask for more that the $2.00 retroactive? they have a reputation for some shady-ish business practices, I am sur they wouldn’t want this to get out. Or does that feel too blackmail-ey? Granted, we are talking some real cash here.
    but I don’t want to be ‘that guy’. They changed to Paycom three years ago, though, and the transition wasn’t perfect, it might have happened then. Either way, someone should have caught it, IMO.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Confront them. Politely demand the money you're owed, with interest. The worst they can say is No.

What the what???
    Personally, I wouldn't push it too much. The "someone" who "should have caught it" includes you as much as your employer. If they've been underpaying you, it seems like you should be able to ask for that. Beyond that, it sounds a bit like you're trying to levy some kind of fine for their mistake.

I'm not an HR expert, though. Others here might be able to offer more wisdom based on the legality of it.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    ... ski for free, and get my parts at cost ...
    Did other similar Paycom employess get these perks as well? I know what a season ticket would cost an average joe and mark-up retial vs wholesale too.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Yes, everyone who works there gets these perks. It’s established ski shop practice.
    I think I am just going to ask for retroactive pay, I don’t want any drama.
    If they offer anything else, I’ll take it!
    Last edited by rideit; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:47 PM.

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    Yes, everyone who works there gets these perks.
    But industry wide in your "job title" do other techs get these perks, was my question. I know in Aspen they had discounting but never a season's pass. They had levels of employee retail purchasing discounts but was pendent on longevity and which hotel you operated out of as a tech or repair person or retail affiliate to the slopes in question.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Yes, everyone with my job gets those perks. We ski free at Jackson Hole, Snow King, and Targhee.

That’s the only way you can find employees for under $20 an hour in Jackson.

Russian Troll Farmer
    ...... Is there a ‘statue of limitations’ in which I have to dispute a pay rate......
    Yes, there is. It's on a plinth in the middle of Viscous Circle...............

But seriously, you didn't notice they were cheating you for 5 entire years? That would be a hard case to press in court. If I were you, I'd just smile and thank them for the 'generous raise', and pay better attention to your finances in the future.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    Great video

Last edited by Eretz; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:29 AM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Yes, there is. It's on a plinth in the middle of Viscous Circle...............

But seriously, you didn't notice they were cheating you for 5 entire years? That would be a hard case to press in court. If I were you, I'd just smile and thank them for the 'generous raise', and pay better attention to your finances in the future.
    Actually, it was since they changed to a different payroll service, and they didn't enter my wage correctly. Sounds like it was just administrative.
    I have documentation of the original wage with paystubs.

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    Actually, it was since they changed to a different payroll service, and they didn't enter my wage correctly. Sounds like it was just administrative.
    I have documentation of the original wage with paystubs.

You also entered the discounted costs of being subsidised for your company's perks as well?

Employer’s Tax Guide to Fringe Benefits.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    clean up in aisle 7
    Last edited by Eretz; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:31 AM.

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    clean up in aisle 8
    Last edited by Eretz; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:31 AM.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Yes, everyone with my job gets those perks. We ski free at Jackson Hole, Snow King, and Targhee.

That’s the only way you can find employees for under $20 an hour in Jackson.
    A buddy of mine lives up a tahoe, and works at Squaw for sort of the same deal.

You guys are living the life of Reilly.

Meanwhile, I'm skiing on crappy icy "mountains" in the poconos, dodging groups of idiots congregating in corners on the narrow trails.

Maybe you shouldn't make waves.

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Maybe you shouldn't make waves.
    Seems as if he likes the job, too.
    Last edited by Eretz; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:32 AM.

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    Last edited by Eretz; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:45 AM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    You also entered the discounted costs of being subsidised for your company's perks as well?

Employer’s Tax Guide to Fringe Benefits.
    Haha, you don’t work in Wyomin’, boy, do ya’?

(My wife is a CPA)

Ski resorts here are classified as ‘seasonal’, and as such, not beholden to many of the things in that handbook.

Russian Troll Farmer
    A buddy of mine lives up a tahoe, and works at Squaw for sort of the same deal.

You guys are living the life of Reilly.

Meanwhile, I'm skiing on crappy icy "mountains" in the poconos, dodging groups of idiots congregating in corners on the narrow trails.

I feel for ya. That's why I gave up downhill skiing and concentrate on XC. Once in a while I'll go to the 'Dacks for some Telemark, but if you tried that on my local commercial 'bunny hill", you'd get t-boned by a snowboarder. Damn, I can hardly wait to retire somewhere near Taos......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    As long as you are getting paid at least the minimum wage for your state, you don't have any legal recourse. But if you are being under-paid based on your job and compared to others at your workplace, you have some leverage. It's the middle of the ski season and you might be hard to replace. If you are a valued employee, and if other employees there are getting paid at a higher rate for similar work, then you can certainly use that information to request parity. But you are being unrealistic expecting retroactive pay, especially for thousands of hours. Before you confront them, see what other employment options are available to you. Are you prepared to quit if they deny your "demand" for retroactive pay?
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Ahh, the evenings I spent learning to ski/ride at Shawnee before upping my game at Camelback. Then I moved west.

I would probably give up the sport if I had to move back to PA.

And it's just too bad I can't get photos to post correctly on this site. I have a ton from last week's heli trip to southern BC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Ahh, the evenings I spent learning to ski/ride at Shawnee before upping my game at Camelback. Then I moved west.

And it's just too bad I can't get photos to post correctly on this site. I have a ton from last week's heli trip to southern BC
    That looks just like Blue Mountain up in Allentown... in my dreams.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    So, just to wrap up this thread, I got a three dollar an hour raise, and $10,000 in back pay. They apologized profusely. Mexico, here I come!

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Whoa. That worked out well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post

Your picture looks just like Marjie's Delight at Camelback after a couple hours of snow guns.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    Your picture looks just like Marjie's Delight at Camelback after a couple hours of snow guns.
    Believe it or not, one of my favorite snowboarding memories was from the mid 90s when Camelback got hit with an actual snowstorm. A couple buddies and I snuck onto the Alpine Slide at night and were able to snowboard down that, tunnels and all.

Nice job on the back pay Rideit!