pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Winter's here ...

And I have a bad feeling about this one. It never snows in DC in mid November. The leaves aren't even completely off the trees yet. Usually rake leaves over Thanksgiving weekend (did it early this year). And Thanksgiving is early this year. Commuted in yesterday in full winter gear. Hard to believe it was shorts and a jersey 6 weeks ago.

The kids were happy. Snow day! Second one is the view from my front door. Rest are commuting into work .... in the car
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter's here ...-snow2.jpg   Winter's here ...-snow1.jpg   Winter's here ...-snow3.jpg   Winter's here ...-snow4.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Watching trees bend over. Enuff ice to make you notice. It has persisted all day.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I'm already done with this winter. Come on spring.

Boobies!
    I was working on a floor tiling project and I finished with just enough time to blow the leaves of the front drive and sidewalk, just ahead of the snow.

Winter wonderland, here we come!
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    A year ago I would have been slapping the fenders on the Pugsley last night to ride to work today. Now, I just walked to the end of the street to the coffee shop, had a waffle and read the Washington Post. Winter is fine by me.
    Ken
    P.J. O'Rourke: The Internet - whose idea was it to put all the idiots on earth in touch with each other?

Master debator.
    2 to 4 inches expected tonight. I got the fat bike ready I'm gonna go out and ride in it for a few hours tonight after dark woot.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Proud luddite
    Tucson is seeing brutal winter conditions already too. Highs only in the 70s and we have to run our heat for a few minutes in the morning.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Tucson is seeing brutal winter conditions already too. Highs only in the 70s and we have to run our heat for a few minutes in the morning.
    I just took a poll and... yeah... nobody likes you.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

Seat's not level
    Storm of the Century! Everybody panic! Alert the media. Make a BFD out of it!

Winter has been happening back east for a very long time. Why is it such a surprise and emergency every frikin' time it snows? HTFU folks, or move to Venezuela.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Is it just around me or did the winter arrive sooner this year?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Storm of the Century! Everybody panic! Alert the media. Make a BFD out of it!

Winter has been happening back east for a very long time. Why is it such a surprise and emergency every frikin' time it snows? HTFU folks, or move to Venezuela.
    I moved here from Minnesota where a white Thanksgiving was usually the norm, and a white Christmas practically guaranteed. I spent four years there in graduate school, and got enough winter to last a lifetime. I remember one morning the wind chill was -95. The President of the university, Nils Hasellmo, was asked if he considered closing it (he didn't). He said if it was -100, he might consider it. I remember putting all my clothes on to walk to class, stepping out the door and seeing a guy riding his mountain bike down the snow packed street. Winters in DC are pretty mild in comparison, but I still hate it.

Why on earth would anyone move to Venezuela? You can't even find toilet paper in that place.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Is it just around me or did the winter arrive sooner this year?
    The cold seems to have come quicker here, but only flurries so far.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    NYC was taken by surprise with this one. Storm hit during rush hour and dumped about 6" of wet snow within an hour, roughly. People were stuck on the GW bridge and abandoned their cars.

Mayor is blaming the weather forecasters; weatherpeople are claiming that they provided accurate numbers up to the last minute; either way, the salt/sand trucks weren't mobilized, school wasn't canceled, and people acted as clueless about the weather as any southern state dealing with a flurry.

Truly unusual for a northeastern city.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Early snowfalls are usually a sign that we won't have a lot of snow fall during the winter.

In the NYC area, we have had two October snows during my lifetime - 1972 and 2011. 1973 and 2012 were very mild winters.

Just saying.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Can we stop naming every gd snow?

Winter storm Avery?

GMAFB

RoadBikeReview Member

language
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have I told you that I hate the winter... well I do!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT