The worst beer I have ever tasted. - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    I've had some pretty pretentious IPAs, so much that I am totally over uber hoppy brews. Why can't micro brewers get that beer is rather simple but also easy to screw up with "interpretations". It's like deconstructed food, unless it improves on the original just save your energy for getting the best ingredients and then just present them.
    I've always preferred malty ales and a good oyster stout is pretty much hard to beat.
    preach it!

my region is overrun with microbreweries, some good some bad. One of them 40 miles away is a millenial lightning bolts and skate shop brewery, called Riot Brewing, where it seems every beer is either fouler than cough syrup or more bitter than Lorena Bobbit in 1989. But only a few miles away is a brewery who gets it better than the 20 other breweries, subtle and always fresh tasting and moderate and a little complex. Definitely all higher end tasting than any corporate attempt at micro brewing. Called Red Arrow in Duncan BC. My favourite lineup from top to bottom, from IPA to lager to stouts. The other brewery I really like is Port Townsend, in Port Townsend Washington. These two breweries know how to balance the taste of a beer.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
    That's a good article. I moved from Milwaukee in 75 after graduating from UW and didn't know what destroyed Schlitz. BITD you were either a Schlitz drinker or Pabst drinker. I don't remember anyone drinking Miller but a few drank Blatz. G Heileman in LaCrosse sold a beer "Special Export" and that was considered "premium" brew.

Milwaukee was a union town, and many people thought the unions killed the breweries.

I remember coming back to Chicago in the 80s and somehow Heileman's "Old Style" seemed to be all the rage there. (Sort of like how Yuengling took over DC all of a sudden, or LaBatt Blue in Rochester NY.)

While at UW I remember "Huber" brewery, what we called "Huber Moose Piss". (I suppose some would use that for Hamm's -- sort like the old Firesign Theater bit "Good old Bear Whiz Beer -- It's in the water, that's what makes it yellow".)

In college my roomies and I went with "Fox Head 400" brewed in Waukesha (just west of Milwaukee). Their hook was a 28-bottle case instead of 24 (in those days the most common thing was returnable 24 bottle case. The cardboard case had a top that could flip open and you could get rid of the bottle separators and the case made a nice storage container).

As far as bad beer, I lived in Annapolis MD for a while, and couldn't get into the whole "National Boh" thing. but I guess if you're native Baltimorian, it's the bee's knees.

scott s.
    Just down the road from UW is Sprecher brewery, which I believe was there in the 80's too. They make much better beer than any of those other crappy varieties of typical American domestic piss-water.

your god hates me
    My wife gave me a recurring membership into a Beer-Of-The-Month Club several birthdays ago, so 10 or 11 times a year I receive a 12-pack of craft-brewed something-or-other from American micro-breweries. Some are good. Some are very good. None have so far (three years in now) been so good that they've made me change my mind about what the best tasting beer on Earth is

...but one of them definitely took the prize for Worst Beer I Have Ever Tasted. It was so much worse than the worst swill I have ever guzzled in my life, it wasn't even like I-have-to-do-a-spit-take-or-I-will-puke, more like too-late-I'm-gonna-puke-no-matter-how-quickly-I-spit-this-out-of-my-mouth. Just vile, rancid, schidt.

I would happily drink Schlitz or PBR or Old Milwaukee or Coors Lite for the rest of my life if it meant I would never again be able to recall the sensation of briefly tasting this horrible garbage. Seriously, it was so bad that just thinking about the experience now, a good 10 or 12 months after I tasted it, causes the bile to rise in my throat.

It was Rollingstoner Elderflower Sour Ale, from Olvalde Fram & Brewing Co. in Minnesota.

Worst. Beer. Ever.

You have been warned.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Sour beers aren't stale beers as someone on this thread suggested.

They're their own thing there. Whoa. 3 versions of the the there word in one sentence, all correctly used.

Anyway, I don't like beers that just add hops beyond what is tasty, just to be the most bitter microbrew of the day.

But I like a well made sour beer. It's an acquired taste. It's like any strong libation. You can't judge how you'll like the whole glass based on one or two sips.

That said, I wouldn't want to drink a sour beer made by the same people who make horribly over-hopped IPA and lagers just to win some dumb "bitterest beer" contest that seems to be going on.
    it turned into a dick wagging contest similar to what happened to Chardonnay in the 80s "Oakey Buttery!". You can hide a lot of bad beer under handfuls of new world hops, and if it gets to point of 'squeeze of graprefruit, dash of PineSol" I tire of it quickly. I hope the same doesn't happen out with Sours, would be silly. My biggest problem is the price of American Sours. $15 for a .375? Hell I can get Rodenbach Grand Cru for $10 a 750. I really enjoy Petrus Aged Pale which doesn't sound like a Sour but is. Nothing pairs with pungent cheeses like a good sour IMO.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Cool, thanks!
    the major yeast is Brettanomyces (various forms) called "Brett' for short and in the regions where they brew sours in comes in through the windows. It has a distinct flavor profile and his highly potent. It goes everywhere and can get into anything. In Nor Cal, winemakers are terrified of Russian River Brewery, scared if they go there to taste beer they will bring Brett back to their winery and contaminate their wine. Many breweries have separate facilities so their Brett doesn't creep into their other beers. They (like many Belgian Beers) are harder to do right because of the fermenting temps and thus nothing about them is accidental. There are a few forms, regular Lambic, Gueuze (which is a blend of new and aged Lambic) Fruit Lambic and Flemish Red Ales.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    I've drank SP lager before. About 35 years ago. I can remember because imports were big at the time and I had a bottle collection going. I agree with you, I thought it was pretty decent.
    I wish I could get it here. Not because it's really awesome beer, but because of what I associate it with. It's the same as drinking a Presidente - if I close my eyes I can be back in one of the many really cool places I've been where I drank Presidente.

Now, there is another bottled beverage called Papuan Black, which is supposedly a mixed drink kind of thing as opposed to beer. They had rum and cola, vodka and cola, boubon and cola, etc.

The best part was their slogan: Once You Go Black, You Never Go Back.

I had one just to try it, and I immediately amended their slogan to read: Papuan Black - once you go black you never go back - to the bar to get another one.
    Last edited by Andy69; 02-08-2019 at 07:29 AM.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by GearDaddy View Post
    Just down the road from UW is Sprecher brewery, which I believe was there in the 80's too. They make much better beer than any of those other crappy varieties of typical American domestic piss-water.
    That's bringing back some memories.

I lived in Madison before brew pubs were a thing, and we had Great Dane and Angelic, and one more that opened on Midvale just before I left (mid 90s). That's something I've missed since moving to this cultural black hole.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    the major yeast is Brettanomyces (various forms) called "Brett' for short and in the regions where they brew sours in comes in through the windows. It has a distinct flavor profile and his highly potent. It goes everywhere and can get into anything. In Nor Cal, winemakers are terrified of Russian River Brewery, scared if they go there to taste beer they will bring Brett back to their winery and contaminate their wine. Many breweries have separate facilities so their Brett doesn't creep into their other beers. They (like many Belgian Beers) are harder to do right because of the fermenting temps and thus nothing about them is accidental. There are a few forms, regular Lambic, Gueuze (which is a blend of new and aged Lambic) Fruit Lambic and Flemish Red Ales.
    Do you know anything about wild yeasts that might be in the air near bodies of water?
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Brew 102 went out of business (80's ?) and was not purchased by Pabst or any other bottom feeder.
    brewery.

The rumor its flavor like warm water out of a hose was the reason Brew 102 went south has not been completely confirmed.
    Yeah, Brew 102. When I was a kid in the 1950's me and the family used to drive past the 102 Brewery in Downtown L.A. when visiting my grandmother. Dad would make rude remarks about it. When we got old enough, some of my buds would buy it because it was the cheapest stuff available. Dad was right. A watery, bitter zero.
    Last edited by Mapei; 02-09-2019 at 12:31 AM.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Do you know anything about wild yeasts that might be in the air near bodies of water?
    I would assume so. The 2 main strains are Saccharomyces and Brettanomyces. Saccharomyces is used in breads as well. Brett is common in Flanders which butts up against the N. Atlantic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Yeah, Brew 102. When I was a kid in the 1950's me and the family used to drive past the 102 Brewery in Downtown L.A. when visiting my grandmother. Dad would make rude remarks about it. When we got old enough, some of my buds would buy it because it was the cheapest stuff available. Dad was right. A watery, bitter zero.
    Reminds me of the cheap beer me and my buddies bought as dumb kids with fake IDs in high school. F&S beer.

We referred to it by the effect it had: Farts & Sh!ts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234