Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    gazing from the shadows

The worst beer I have ever tasted.

https://valkyriebrewery.com/raven_queen/index.html

Raven Queen is a Black Wheat India Pale Ale brewed with roasted wheat, dark malts and Star Anise for a hint of Black Licorice.

My wife picked this out, which I did not understand. The beers she likes are generally good, but... she does not like dark beers as a rule, nor IPAs, and heavy malt is not to her liking. She also does not like licorice.

It had NO redeeming qualities. Two sips and I dumped it. Super bitter. As in I tried to make it into an asian style bbq sauce, and even with tons of heat and vinegar and sugar the bitterness hit hard on the back end. It kind of worked for oven ribs, but still.

This knocks my former worst out of the top slot by a long shot. It was a tangerine brown ale. It was like a brown ale chased with tangerine juice, very disjointed. But not to the level of inducing nausea at the thought of another drink. Raven Queen did exactly that.

What's the worst you've ever had?
    Stout beers under trees, please.

What the what???
    I've blocked the name of it from my mind out of a sense of self-preservation... but I remember it was brewed with grapefruit...
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Schlitz
    Too old to ride plastic

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Incomparably the worst beer I have ever tasted was the U-Brew experiment me and a few friends did in Uni. Even I couldn't finish a bottle. My roommate and I had people over frequently and they quickly 'declined' an offer of free beer after the first one.

For purchased beer the worst I've tried is "Hurry Hard Lager" which unfortunately the curling club has picked up on. It's not even bland, it's bland and yucky.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35763/188586/

Ricardo Cabeza
    I don't even remember what it was called. It was some kind of fruity thing and it was so bad after one mouthful I poured the rest down the drain.

I avoid any beer with fruit in it. Fruit is not a beer ingredient.

Edit: I think it was called Wild Blue. It's a "blueberry lager". I thought it was some kind of joke/novelty drink but apparently it's a serious product.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    I avoid any beer with fruit in it. Fruit is not a beer ingredient.
    I generally agree, but there are exceptions.

Flying dog's Bloodline Blood Orange IPA is really good with mexican food. In the summer.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will almost always finish a beer, even if it is very bad, but a few I took one sip and did a big "nope."

The Evil Eye Sour Apple Malt Liquor "Ojo Malo" has to be the worst I've ever had. I don't think this is made any more, but it was some vile stuff. It existed as a way to get almost falling down drunk for $2 (40oz container at ~12% alcohol I recall). Basically your standard rot-gut malt liquor with some sour apple candy flavor and off-brand everclear thrown in for good measure.

Honorable Mention: Budweiser Chelada. Who thought CLAM JUICE belongs in beer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I avoid beers with fruit, clam juice, chocolate... all that "extra" stuff. It's sort of weird, as I'm really not a discerning beer drinker, but I just prefer more traditional stuff - regular 'ol beer.

The ONLY beer I've ever had that I had to choke down (I forget if I finished it) was this;
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/article...es-samichlaus/

In hindsight, 20+ years later, it probably wasn't intended to be drank the same way a "normal" beer would be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Highland Brewing’s Mandarin IPA is also an exception, and it’s not very hoppy most IPAs

a real member's member
    coors light
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    New Holland Brewery makes a bourbon barrel aged sour called Incorrigible. The smokiness of the barrel aging and the citrus notes of the sour made the beer taste distinctly like pineapple and ham.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    coors light
    sparkling water has more flavor.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Schlitz
    Reminds me of a joke. Stay with me here....

Many many years ago, there was a baseball pitcher named Milt Famey.

On the night before a big game, a bunch of guys from the opposing team saw Milt in a bar and started buying him beers. Milt had so many beers, they had to load him in a cab and pay the driver to get Milt back to his hotel.

The game the next afternoon was a disaster for Milt. He walked so many batters, the opposing team won on walked-in runs.

In retrospect, many on the opposing team had this to say: "It was the beer that made Milt Famey walk us."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Sours in general. IMO, evidence that marketing guys can trick people into buying spoiled beer.

I adhere to the Reinheitsgebot with beer that I'm buying, American beer has just gotten silly with added fruit, pretzels and graham crackers. That being said, I'll drink whatever you're offering.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post

On the night before a big game, a bunch of guys from the opposing team saw Milt in a bar and started buying him beers. Milt had so many beers, they had to load him in a cab and pay the driver to get Milt back to his hotel.

The game the next afternoon was a disaster for Milt. He walked so many batters, the opposing team won on walked-in runs.

In retrospect, many on the opposing team had this to say: "It was the beer that made Milt Famey walk us."
    You're going to have to explain that one to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    You're going to have to explain that one to me.
    Milwaukee famous.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member

Awe Dude, I don't know which is worse, your joke or Schlitz.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    coors light
    We used to say it's like sex in a canoe: f*cking close to water.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    when I used to play golf, many times each of our four-some would consume one Coors Lite per hole and finish the round with no discernible effects.

we just considered it 'hydrating'...
    Last edited by Oxtox; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:05 PM.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Frog Whisperer
    Schlitz
    Budwiser!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    This!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Milwaukee famous.
    Ah, I knew it was some word jumble thing but just couldn't put it together.

I like bad jokes. That one is right up there with my favorite about why round hay bales are being outlawed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I too don't like it so much when beer taste strays too much away from traditional. But I do like variety in styles, including sours. Just like with any beer there are sours that are really good (try an actual Belgian sour), but there are a bunch of crappy ones (like Leinenkugels "Summer Shandy").

Also not a fan of super strong barrel aged whiskey flavor. At some point it stops tasting like beer. Why wouldn't you just drink whiskey or bourbon if you want that taste?

Forget about all of the typical American Lagers (i.e. Bud, Miller, Coors, whatever), as they all taste pretty much the same - watered down and lacking character.

Probably the worst stuff that stands out in my mind lately was getting a variety pack from Magic Hat brewery. Pretty much hated everything they were trying to do with beer flavor.

a real member's member

"cool story, bro. tell it again."

hurr.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Ah, I knew it was some word jumble thing but just couldn't put it together.

I like bad jokes. That one is right up there with my favorite about why round hay bales are being outlawed.
    Say, why are round hay bales being outlawed?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast