Wrestling cut from 2020 olympics
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Wrestling cut from 2020 olympics

ioc just announced it is cutting wrestling from the 2020 olympics (yes, small letters for small minds). This is utterly disgraceful. A sport that have been the basis for competition since the start of the olympics goes and badminton stays???? The world is going to h*ll in a handbasket.
    If you focus on the past, you will never see the future.

Every day I wake up is a good day!

"I don't need another bike"
    - Anonymous

Always changing.....
    Quote Originally Posted by onlineflyer View Post
    ioc just announced it is cutting wrestling from the 2020 olympics (yes, small letters for small minds). This is utterly disgraceful. A sport that have been the basis for competition since the start of the olympics goes and badminton stays???? The world is going to h*ll in a handbasket.
    I just read that. Crazy. Just crazy.

Master debator.
    Well the Chinese badminton scandal generated enough publicity so the Olympic committee decided to keep it in lieu of rasslin'

Makes sense.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Sculpture on 2 wheels
    Olympics are A Commercial Enterprise, so unfortunately It all comes down to the TV Ratings, IOC has a Executive Board In my experience executive boards are about one thing Money!!

So despite being thousands of years old and staples of the modern and original Olympic movements, are getting the ax. IOC to reinvigorate the games and such for ratings that = money)

PS if you want Wrestling back on write to ABC, NBC, CBS etc, If enough people threaten to boycott watching commercials during the Games they will have the IOC put the sport back on. It's a long shot though not many folks watch olympic wrestling(
    Last edited by Bullvine; 02-12-2013 at 09:42 AM.

corning my own beef
    shaking my head....

I don't know what kind of jacked up criteria the ioc uses for determining which sports stay/go besides standing there holding their hands out in a "would you care to make a donation in order to improve you chances of staying in the Games?" manner.

And to cut a sport that has been a part of the Olympic tradition since the beginning ...... w. t. f.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

waterproof*
    Hulk Hogan is gonna be pissed.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Non non normal
    I think I am done with the Olympics if they get rid of wrestling.

Gotta make way for doing jumps and tricks on snowboards and skis. Let's add a swimwear competition and poker.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    I think I am done with the Olympics if they get rid of wrestling.

Gotta make way for doing jumps and tricks on snowboards and skis. Let's add a swimwear competition and poker.
    Well, there's already "Beach Volleyball"--surely part of the Greco-Roman tradition--unlike wrestling--, and sort of a swimwear competition already...
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

Fly on a windshield
    Quote Originally Posted by onlineflyer View Post
    The world has already gone to h*ll in a handbasket.
    In another forum there's quite a bit of talk of the UCI being corrupt to the bone. Wanna take a guess which forum that is?
    If there's one other organization that is even more corrupt operating out of Switzerland, that would be the IOC. Hell, they have Hein Verbruggen on board, don't they?

Well now with classic wrestling out of the way, we will have more time to admire women's beach volleyball and body building poses from Usain Bolt. After having lowered the 100m world record to a very believable sub 9.50 sec. And all due to his tremendous work ethic of course.

Better stop now before I get this thread relegated to that other forum I mentioned, a little up above.
    God gave up this world, its people long ago.....Peter Gabriel 1971

Roll Out Jeremy
    Where's the Mittster when you need him?
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hear it's being replaced by Extreme Horse Dressage. Not to be confused with regular Horse Dressage (already an olympic 'sport')
    I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by MG537 View Post
    The world has already gone to h*ll in a handbasket.
    In another forum there's quite a bit of talk of the UCI being corrupt to the bone. Wanna take a guess which forum that is?
    If there's one other organization that is even more corrupt operating out of Switzerland, that would be the IOC. Hell, they have Hein Verbruggen on board, don't they?

Well now with classic wrestling out of the way, we will have more time to admire women's beach volleyball and body building poses from Usain Bolt. After having lowered the 100m world record to a very believable sub 9.50 sec. And all due to his tremendous work ethic of course.

Better stop now before I get this thread relegated to that other forum I mentioned, a little up above.
    Cynic!!!! What was Usain Bolt on? He was on the track busting his butt 5 hours a day, that is what he was on. LOL
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    And nobody has even mentioned another sport they kept, modern pentathlon.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus .--Mark Twain

Proud luddite
    I bet NBC will replace the wrestling time slot with coverage of the Winter Olympian ice skaters training during the summer in preparation for the Winter Olympics. Because you can never get enough ice skating coverage just during the Winter Olympics, now can you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harlond View Post
    And nobody has even mentioned another sport they kept, modern pentathlon.
    From what I've read, it seems like it came down to that or wrestling as the sport to be dropped.

WTF is modern pentathlon? Is that where they ride around on horses and then dismount and shoot at targets? Yeah, I can see how that's a relevant event in the 21st century. Maybe some warlords in the 'stan countries stay up all night to catch the medal round.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great analysis. At least I got my laugh for today.
    If you focus on the past, you will never see the future.

Every day I wake up is a good day!

"I don't need another bike"
    - Anonymous

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Y! SPORTS

Apparently FILA was so confident it would be retained that it barely campaigned. That's too bad, because when an IOC member is bought, he stays bought.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus .--Mark Twain

Failboat Captian
    They still gonna do Rhythmic Gymnastics with 12 year old girls twirling those ribbons and batons?

Summer Olympics = meh.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by harlond View Post
    That's too bad, because when an IOC member is bought, he stays bought.
    In that respect, you do have to admire the integrity of the IOC members.

Diphthong
    Pissed me off to hear that. I guess it has a shot to get back in by competing with other sports such as squash, wakeboarding and wushu. WTF is wushu?
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullvine View Post
    Olympics are A Commercial Enterprise, so unfortunately It all comes down to the TV Ratings, IOC has a Executive Board In my experience executive boards are about one thing Money!!(
    I think they're getting ratings no matter what, because of how spread out the coverage is.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Personally, would rather see penthalon gone, badminton gone, dressage gone, and karate gone. Make way for soccer, golf, a mountain road time trial, road team time trial, and ultra marathon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mpre53 View Post
    From what I've read, it seems like it came down to that or wrestling as the sport to be dropped.

WTF is modern pentathlon? Is that where they ride around on horses and then dismount and shoot at targets? Yeah, I can see how that's a relevant event in the 21st century. Maybe some warlords in the 'stan countries stay up all night to catch the medal round.
    Modern Pentathlon is the sport that stays in the Olympics because the president of the International association is a member of the IOC board, and his name is Juan Antonio Samaranch, JR

​Fixed? Naaah.

Not Banned
    jeebus, might as well get rid of the laurels as well
    I mean this was one of the last original sports
    is the IOC pissed because it is now dominated by folks from the ME?
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
    Pissed me off to hear that. I guess it has a shot to get back in by competing with other sports such as squash, wakeboarding and wushu. WTF is wushu?
    Wushsu is****ingbadass.

I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast