Yahoos in pickups
    Russian Troll Farmer

Yahoos in pickups

Well, it's been about a decade since the last time it happened to me, but today I got harasses by a bunch of yokels in a pickup. Usually, this sort of thing used to happen on the sort of rural road where manure spreaders were common, but today's encounter was in a 'liberal bastion' type neighborhood. The truck in question was about as close to a 'bro-dozer' as we ever see here in upstate NY. The abundance of right-leaning political campaign stickers (some for people not even in my state) told me a good bit about these guys political leaning, but that's only secondary to the story.

I was riding down Harvard st., which parallels Park ave, probably the staunchest left-leaning and heavily gay neighborhood in my city, when said pickup (with actually a couple of flags flying off the back) rolled through a 4-way stop, and the passenger yelled out the window; "I LIKE PU$$Y!!!!!!!". I assume it was for my benefit, unless he was making some comment on somebody sitting on a nearby porch. Now, I wasn't even wearing Lycra today; it was chilly, so I had long quick-dry Eddie Bauer outdoor pants on, my cuffs tucked into my green wool socks, and my 'visibility yellow' long-sleeve jersey on. My touring bike has black metal fenders, 50mm wide tires, and flashing lights front and rear. Not sure if he thought I looked gay, but even though I am I'm nearly 60 and hardly one who flaunts my body.

So, at least I had a comeback; "That's nice. There's a cat veterinarian a couple blocks that direction!", I yelled back. I hope I was being helpful....
    Last edited by No Time Toulouse; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:40 PM.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    A higher % of pickup occupants are ignorant than the general population. I would estimate that 75% are ignorant, versus the standard population diversity of 50%. Just going off voting registrators.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    No evidence provided to back up these claims, but sounds about right to me. Roughly speaking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see pretty good courtesy for cyclists from pickup trucks. Variable, but better on average than some.

Worst have been Audis and BNWs.

not a political statement, just many observations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    my 'nemesis' vehicles include PUs, Suburbans, and Honda Odysseys...have had more issues with these than most others.

but, the winner of the most psycho driver award goes to the raging nutjob in a Toyota Corolla that intentionally forced me out of the bike lane and up onto the sidewalk TWICE...all while screaming that he was going to 'kill me'...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    my 'nemesis' vehicles include PUs, Suburbans, and Honda Odysseys...have had more issues with these than most others.
    With all of the ag around here, I think there is probably a higher density of pickups than some other areas, but for the most part I haven't noticed them being more discourteous. I have seen the suburbans being more of an issue here. They seem to be a bit of a status symbol and driven by young mothers on cell phones, especially the high end ones in black paint. There are a ton of bro-dozers around too, but they seem to leave me alone.

A few weeks back I did get harassed by a couple of kids around early high school age on a small ATV. Judging by the ATV's attitude I'd say it was grossly overloaded. They rode beside me for a mile or so then must have got bored and took off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    I see pretty good courtesy for cyclists from pickup trucks. Variable, but better on average than some.

Worst have been Audis and BNWs.
    I'm going to second this observation. We have a preponderance of trucks here from the local populous, most are amiable to cyclists.

But the Audi/BMW crowd are a privileged and pedigreed bunch who seem to have migrated in from the coast. They don't spout rude words or yell, they just enjoy showing their disdain with a close pass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    But the Audi/BMW crowd are a privileged and pedigreed bunch who seem to have migrated in from the coast.
    I would add Land Rover SUV to that list. I've posted about this before.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    A higher % of pickup occupants are ignorant than the general population. I would estimate that 75% are ignorant, versus the standard population diversity of 50%. Just going off voting registrators.
    I dunno, I think you are underestimating.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Proud luddite
    I ride at the crack of dawn, which is the same time that many construction workers, tradesmen and laborers are going to work. So there are quite a few pickups on the road when I am riding. And I havenít had any problems with any of them. They give me a wide berth when they pass and they seem to drive slower and more safely then other drivers. So I canít at all complain about pickup drivers.

The ones to watch out for are the elderly drivers. They seem to be so overly cautious that theyíre dangerous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    A higher % of pickup occupants are ignorant than the general population. I would estimate that 75% are ignorant
    I have a PhD, so i could be stupid, but not ignorant (possessing knowledge). I've owned 3 pickups, and consider myself a progressive.

It begs the question, can you judge a person by their vehicle? Maybe, maybe not.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    I have a PhD, so i could be stupid, but not ignorant (possessing knowledge). I've owned 3 pickups, and consider myself a progressive.

It begs the question, can you judge a person by their vehicle? Maybe, maybe not.

You could be part of the 25% alluded to....
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

There are over 8 million covid cases in the United States (as of October 15th), nine months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

Frog Whisperer
    I wonder what the percentage of the entire US population is ignorant and or stupid? AND is there a difference between ignorant and stupid? In my mind, an ignorant person knows the facts yet chooses to ignore them, a stupid person does not know the facts (ACTUAL facts, not percieved facts)
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Spicy Dumpling
    We have a very egalitarian society around here in central Va. No way to predict the asshattery of a driver when they pass.. I will say that the ones that seem to be the most dangerous are the lawn service companies with the trailer of mowers that they seem to forget is behind them when they merge back in after the pass.

And I do aggree that folks who seem overly cautious around us can be as scary as the worst pickup. They won't pass when able so all of the other people that would normally pass with caution get impatient.

Oddly enough the worst overall situation was passing a megachurch as Easter service was letting out. I've never been yelled at or called as many names as getting passed by people leaving in their sunday best.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I wonder what the percentage of the entire US population is ignorant and or stupid?
    Hard to say, but we do have certain events coming up that will help figure this out.

AND is there a difference between ignorant and stupid? In my mind, an ignorant person knows the facts yet chooses to ignore them, a stupid person does not know the facts (ACTUAL facts, not percieved facts)
    Ignorant ... A lack of knowledge, but possesses the ability to learn the facts and make accurate assessments and judgements once the facts are learned.

Stupid ... Does not possess the ability to learn the facts, nor make accurate assessments and judgements once the facts have been reviewed.

The difference is the ability to learn and make decisions based on the knowledge gained from accurately researching the facts.

As per the original topic ... I've found non-modified truck drivers to be generally courteous.

However, the taller the truck becomes, the more American flags the truck flies or the lower the level of emission standards on the truck ... the more dangerous they become to cyclists.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    We a have a truck, but I ride a bike almost everywhere, so it gets driven a few times a month. I'm in serious monster truck country, but don't have much time these days for open road long rides, so not up on my current state of affairs.

I would tend to agree that a lot of dudes, and yes, normally dudes drive them, in trucks have bad attitudes and are just looking for a fight. We're in aggressive times right now in the U.S.

Been years though since I've had a truck full of nutjobs yell at me and throw coins. I found it funny they were throwing money, didn't look like they have enough to be wasting it!

Of course, anyone harassing a stranger for no reason has their own issues to address. Something went wrong along the way and they're not able to process their own emotions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Been years though since I've had a truck full of nutjobs yell at me and throw coins. I found it funny they were throwing money, didn't look like they have enough to be wasting it!
    It happened to me last July except it was thrown from an apartment building I was passing by and it was either a penny or dime based on the impact force I felt on my brifter oops I mean shifter. It missed my finger by about a millimeter.
    Of course, anyone harassing a stranger for no reason has their own issues to address.
    There is no shortage of that in our society, unfortunately.

Darling of The Lounge

Yet another pickup driver catagory to watch out for!

Arrested on your 28th birthday while driving your truck, high on meth and claiming you have to drop a duce posthaste.

She's a keeper