You think your NNC day sucked?
    What the what???

You think your NNC day sucked?

Dude's maiden voyage on his $20,000 bike has a Lownje worthy ending:

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/11/what...he-first-ride/

In the soft early morning light streaming through the window of his Bernal Heights studio, Erik Nohlin snapped a few photographs of his new Specialized Aethos.

The day was one hed been anticipating. It would be the first ride on a bike that hed spent days painting, and months planning for. The frame was a 1-of-300 Founders Edition, but it was barely recognisable. It had been stripped back, then painstakingly dotted with gold to create a striking, holistic and one-of-a-kind effect.

Before his daily lunch ride, Nohlin uploaded the pictures to Instagram, wrote a caption Dont want to jinx [it] but if there is anything like a forever bike, this is it and set off into the San Francisco sunshine.

Minutes later, as Nohlin sailed down a descent, a Honda Civic pulled out of a carpark in front of him. The rider skidded over toward the centre line to avoid a collision, but the driver tightened it into an illegal U-turn and Nohlin slammed into the side of the car, over the bonnet and onto the tarmac at more than 35 km/h.

Nohlin escaped reasonably intact. His bike, on its maiden voyage, wasnt so lucky. One of the most expensive bikes on the market, heavily customised and valued at somewhere between US$20,000 and US$30,000, was a complete write-off within its first few minutes of use.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    He would have had a chance to avoid the crash if the car didn't pull a U-turn.

Which is not to say it was the cyclist's fault, just that if circumstances were different and the driver obeyed the law, this wouldn't have happened.

I'll bet, as a Specialized employee, he got a YUUUGE discount on the bike.

He also made a good point in the article; the bike absorbed a large amount of force, no doubt lessening his injuries. Which makes me wonder; in a crash like that, which material is better at absorbing those forces and possibly saving the rider?

Darling of The Lounge
    What ever happened to the First World Problem thread?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    He would have had a chance to avoid the crash if the car didn't pull a U-turn.

Which is not to say it was the cyclist's fault, just that if circumstances were different and the driver obeyed the law, this wouldn't have happened.

I'll bet, as a Specialized employee, he got a YUUUGE discount on the bike.

He also made a good point in the article; the bike absorbed a large amount of force, no doubt lessening his injuries. Which makes me wonder; in a crash like that, which material is better at absorbing those forces and possibly saving the rider?
    It seems, to me, that a carbon frame is the cyclists "crumple zone".
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Dont want to jinx [it] ..."

110% the wrong thing to say, in any situation. I'm not the least bit superstitious, but the Unwritten Yet Widely Accepted Laws of the Universe are there for a reason.

He would have been better off saying "I haven't had a flat in 17,000 miles"* or some other boast about tires before his ride.

* That's not me saying anything about my history with bike tires, or making any claims, boasts or predictions about what the future may hold for my bike tire situation. I learned my lesson about that more than once.

Again, I'm not superstitious.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    $20-$30,000? Uh huh

List price for the top of the line S-Works Aethos - Founder's Edition is $14,500.
    So the special 'art' paintjob is worth $5-$15,000. Mmmm ok. Art is subjective. It's only worth what someone will pay for it.

Complete write off? No, just the frame.

And if he was hit by a car, it's an insurance claim against the car owner. Or even his own car insurance.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V