Help with decision
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Help with decision

Hi,
    I've been looking around, reading a lot of articles and watching a lot of videos about these bikes/brand. It seems the more I read and the more videos I watch, the more confuse I get!

I'm not here to ask you about their quality or customer service or even how they ride, from all the information that I've found it's pretty obvious that everyone LOVES their Lynskey's and the titanium ride.

I'm looking to buy an endurance geometry bike, looking for the plushest, most comfortable ride possible and I would like to know how the ride COMPARES in terms of how relax is the geo, specifically on the R series, to the big brands. That way I have an idea. Looking to get the not-release-yet R140.

I currently own a '12 Orbea Orca and I've tested a Giant Defy Advance and a Trek Domane and at least to me, the ride feels better on the plush/relax department on both than my Orbea. I'm guessing that titanium should soften the ride if not more, better than both bikes that I tested. I'm considering the R140 and a BMC Granfondo GF02, which I can't test because my LBS doesn't have one on the floor.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Lynskey dealership close by, that's why I'm counting on your expertise.

Thanks!

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Well, at one point I had my 255 and a Domane 5.2. After the Domane sat in the basement for a season I stripped it down and sold it. My 255 fits very well and I see it lasting me a lifetime.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    That's a pretty good answer tihsepa, as the Domane 5.2 is one of the bikes that I'm considering.
    Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member

Help with decision

I happen to own a Giant Defy Advanced SL ISP and a Lynskey R230. Both have the correct geometry for my build and that is priority one. In terms of the ride quality, the Lynskey is my endurance/century bike because it's just a little more plush than the Giant. Either of them ride amazing but the Lynskey is just a touch more plush. Both are equipped with GP4000S 25mm tires and are inflated to 85 psi front and 90 rear. If someone told me I could only have one bike, it would be the Lynskey. Give Don Erwin a call at Lynskey and talk it through with him. Very knowledgable and will spend the time with you to determine the best frame. I spent well over two hours with him on the phone over multiple calls prior to making my decision.
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campy Chorus 11 speed.
    2013 Giant Defy Advanced SL. Ultegra DI2 11 speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Not a perfect example but I have a Spec Sectuer Sport Disk with 30c tires. Same Geo as the Roubaix. My r255 has 25s on it. The r255 is just about as smooth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cnardone View Post
    Not a perfect example but I have a Spec Sectuer Sport Disk with 30c tires. Same Geo as the Roubaix. My r255 has 25s on it. The r255 is just about as smooth.

I think that tells me a AL frame that fits bigger tires rides as nice as a very much more expensive bike with smaller tires. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I recently got a sportive from lynskey and have 3 rides on it about 30 miles each ride. This bike is great, super comfortable on the hoods, 1st bike i am comfortable in the drops. The bent seat stays really iron out the road. I did upgrade to the pro fork and they upgraded me to industrial mill finish for free!

A little flexy when going up steep climbs but I was expecting this and like a little flex quite honestly. Don't get the description wrong when they say comfort riding position, this bike can hammer down and go exactly where you want it to go all while putting the rider in a proper position that leaves the rider with little fatigue from being in the saddle.

Im 30 and didnt want a comfort road bike nor did I want race geometry, this was the perfect balance for me!

Go TI man, you wont regret it! when i was riding near guys on carbon bikes, it reminded me of how rigid carbon rides. So happy i went with a ti bike, sure they have 17 lb bikes, but ill ride my 19 lb bike with more enjoyable comfort any day!
    Giant xtc
    Lemond Wayzata

Calm like a Bomb..
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    I recently got a sportive from lynskey and have 3 rides on it about 30 miles each ride. This bike is great, super comfortable on the hoods, 1st bike i am comfortable in the drops. The bent seat stays really iron out the road. I did upgrade to the pro fork and they upgraded me to industrial mill finish for free!

A little flexy when going up steep climbs but I was expecting this and like a little flex quite honestly. Don't get the description wrong when they say comfort riding position, this bike can hammer down and go exactly where you want it to go all while putting the rider in a proper position that leaves the rider with little fatigue from being in the saddle.

Im 30 and didnt want a comfort road bike nor did I want race geometry, this was the perfect balance for me!

Go TI man, you wont regret it! when i was riding near guys on carbon bikes, it reminded me of how rigid carbon rides. So happy i went with a ti bike, sure they have 17 lb bikes, but ill ride my 19 lb bike with more enjoyable comfort any day!
    I will echo this, I am not 30, but a young 43. Still trying to hold off the relaxed geo but these bikes will have you sold on TI. The GEO on my Roleur is unique, 10 mm shorter TT than I have ever run which pushed me to a 110 stem and the bike is a dream to ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I'm 51 and have been riding a Cannondale super six for the last 3 years. I also have a Bianchi via Narone for commuting to work, more upright relaxed geometry. I decided I needed a bike for endurance/century riding after my last century on my super six left me feeling a little beat up. I knew I wanted a Ti Lynskey after doing a lot of research. It came down to the R230 vs the R255. I chose the R230 and have been on cloud 9 ever since I bought it. Combines the more upright geometry that I wanted with a stiff bottom bracket for power transfer. Have been training for my next century with many long weekend rides of 60 up to 80 miles. The most comfortable bike I have ever ridden and no trouble keeping up on fast group rides. You can't go wrong with whichever Lynskey you choose so I encourage you to take the plunge.c

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not sure if you're still looking at the Lynskey's or not.

But directly to your question, the most comfortable bike they sell would be their touring series of bikes called the Backroad (for heavy touring thus their strongest, and heaviest frame), UrBAN-skey (weird name, for commuting), and the Viale (light to medium touring and commuting). I know you also asked for an endurance bike but you wanted the most comfy and plush ride, the touring bikes give you the most plush ride. But if you're willing to give up a small amount of plushness and lean more towards endurance end of the spectrum then Lynskey has two Sportive models, both are the same price, one comes with rim brakes and the other disk brakes, and both come with rear fender and rack mounts. I think their Sportive models with the swayback stays is going to be a very comfortable bike. The touring bikes will be built a bit more beefier to take loads and especially the Backroad.

I'm a tightwad, I would go with the Viale because this bike would be very versatile and it's the lowest costing of the touring or sportive models and offers all the same benefits as the sportive for over a $1,000 less. If money is no object then the Sportive is the direction I would go for overall comfort.

I also suggest you call Lynskey and get their opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    The sportive is just as sporty as it is comfy.
    Giant xtc
    Lemond Wayzata