Just ordered a new Lynskey R255 Ti bike - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member

Just ordered a new Lynskey R255 Ti bike

Quote Originally Posted by bigskychuck View Post
    Anyone have any input on the fork and headset choices Lynskey offers? Are the Cane Creek headset and the pro carbon fork worth the upgrade costs?

Thanks
    I opted for for Cane Creek headset and ENVE 2.0 fork. It was recommended by Don at Lynskey. Bike is stable at any speed.
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campy Chorus 11 speed.
    2013 Giant Defy Advanced SL. Ultegra DI2 11 speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskychuck View Post
    Anyone have any input on the fork and headset choices Lynskey offers? Are the Cane Creek headset and the pro carbon fork worth the upgrade costs?

Thanks
    I went with chris king. Been thinking about replacing my alphaQ with an ENVE one o these days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I've recently been researching Ti bikes due to some of the very same reasons mentioned throughout. Essentially I am very concerned about spending nearly the same cash for a carbon bike that may likely crack or become inoperable due to varying issues. The Ti route seems the way to go.

I've stumbled upon Lynskey after searching the web. Needless to say I'm very intrigued. I'm not into racing, but definitely like going out and doing 30-100 mile rides. I've got my starter bike, albeit a very nice Trek Aluminum 2.3, but have made a great upgrade along the way in the set of some HED Ardennes SLs with Conti GP4000s 25c tires that have made a BIG difference.

So, if the OP is still around, how would you rate and give your opinions on the R255 now after you have had it for some time?

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    I'm glad you asked!!

I've put nearly 500 miles on the Lynskey R255 so far, and all I can say is WOW!!! I'm amazed at the ride quality!!!

On my first ride, the weather wasn't the best for Florida, and I was just coming off of emergency hernia surgery, so i wasn't in the best of shape. I inflated the 700 x 25 Conti 4-Season tires with the Vectran belt to 110 psi on both the front and back. Just starting out, I could tell the bike was much smoother than any carbon bike I've ever had. After hitting the three mile mark, I decided to speed up a bit. I wasn't on the best of the smoothest of roads, and I felt a little vibration in my hands. At first, I was contemplating getting the Thompson carbon handlebars, as I was thinking some of the vibration might be from the bars. Needless to say, once I got on a much smoother road, the vibration went away. I pedaled 15 miles at a 15 mph pace my first ride.

On my second ride, I decided to inflate the rear tire to 100 psi, and the front tire to 90 psi. Much smoother and much better results. I figured it was going to take a little adjusting the psi in the tires to find a sweet spot. I usually use Conti Gatorskins, but decided to put the 4 Season tires on this time, as they have more traction than the Gatorskins. Sometimes, I ride early in the morning with the dew collecting on the ground, making it a bit slippery. And sometimes, I might be in the middle of a ride, and we'd get a pop up shower here and there, so I figured the traction on the 4 seasons would be better than no traction.

This past Monday, I took my longest ride at 35 miles. I rode into a headwind, averaging 15.3 mph on the way there. I averaged nearly 22 mph on the way back.

The Lynskey is well built and a joy to ride!! I'm enjoying every minute of it, and I'd highly recommend any Lynskey Ti bike to anyone in the market for a new bike!!

Now, for the Shimano Ultegra 6800...FANTASTIC!!! My previous bikes had Ultegra 6700 and the other one, SRAM FORCE. Right off the bat, I can tell you I hated SRAM from the first day I had it. I always had a problem with shifting, no matter how many times the LBS tried to fix it. The Ultegra 6700 vs. the 6800 is like night and day. The 6800 shifts much quieter and smother. It is much more responsive, and the hoods are much more comfortable to ride in.

I have the Enve 2.0 carbon fork. I could have probably just bought the Lynskey carbon fork and been just as happy, but I only paid $60 more for the ENVE fork, so I upgraded when I ordered the bike.

If you're looking to buy a Lynskey, look in their "hot deals" section. You can get an R230 with a 105 mix for $2775. I went for the R255 as I'm 54 and have degenerated discs in my neck and lower back. I needed something that wasn't as aggressive, but still fast.

I'm done with riding in groups, so I'm just on my own. The local bike group here has two speeds, fast and faster. I want to get exercise, and enjoy the ride, not die on a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by rnd96 View Post
    I've recently been researching Ti bikes due to some of the very same reasons mentioned throughout. Essentially I am very concerned about spending nearly the same cash for a carbon bike that may likely crack or become inoperable due to varying issues. The Ti route seems the way to go.

I've stumbled upon Lynskey after searching the web. Needless to say I'm very intrigued. I'm not into racing, but definitely like going out and doing 30-100 mile rides. I've got my starter bike, albeit a very nice Trek Aluminum 2.3, but have made a great upgrade along the way in the set of some HED Ardennes SLs with Conti GP4000s 25c tires that have made a BIG difference.

So, if the OP is still around, how would you rate and give your opinions on the R255 now after you have had it for some time?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12