My Lynskey Helix build finished
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

My Lynskey Helix build finished

Finally got my Lynskey Helix built up. Getting a better wheel set (Williams 38 Carbon clincher) soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    beautiful bike!
    you really need to size up.
    head tube spacers at 4cm and saddle with what looks like a 25mm setback and saddle slammed all the way back on its rails.
    why not go up a sized and get 1 degree slacker seat tube and 2cm of head tube length?

just curious

Matnlely Dregaend
    Campy like it should be! I like the red accents on the new Campy Black/Red, I hope the red anodizing is of good quality unlike the rest of their bolts.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Defender of Freedom...
    Quote Originally Posted by a_avery007 View Post
    beautiful bike!
    head tube spacers at 4cm and saddle with what looks like a 25mm setback and saddle slammed all the way back on its rails.
    why not go up a sized and get 1 degree slacker seat tube and 2cm of head tube length?

just curious
    +1 Congrats on the new build and welcome to the Helix family. That said, I agree with avery you should really consider sending it back for the next size up (using their 100% satisfaction guarantee).
    Last edited by Ramjm_2000; 06-03-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    It never gets easier. You just go faster. – Greg LeMond

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very classy build indeed. But next time, ditch the saddle bag for photos please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Cool bike

Juanmoretime
    Nice to see more of the gray metal. Welcome to the Lynskey family. Either its not adjusted or as others have suggested you need to size up. Lynskey will take care of you on this one.
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

wyrd bið ful ãræd
    Beautiful bike ... You should get Lynskey to re-wrap your handlebar ... The front derailleur cable under the wrap is too high is it not? Will you not feel it when you are resting your palms on top?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    beautiful bike!

just curious
    I'm not sure I need to size up. Looking around at pictures of other Lynskey builds, most are showing at least as much seatpost and similar amount of spacers. It's not 40mm (actually 33) and i will probably remove some of that and flip the stem so its more parallel to the ground. The seatpost is 20mm setback but the saddle needs to adjusted somewhat. I got this size since the geo is nearly identical to the Serotta that I have been riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    still say you need to size up.
    running 33mm of spacers, plus 1cm of stem rise, and your saddle is over 2cm's setback on a 20mm setback post.
    Even on the Serotta the fit looks marginal.

Go with a bigger size, run your saddle in the center of the setback position on your current post, and lose 2cm's of spacers because of the taller head tube.
    just my lousy opinion
    bike still looks really well put together
    hope you enjoy many miles on your new steed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    This is the second gorgeous Helix in this thread that doesn't look like it's the right size for the owner. Way too many spacers and your saddle is rammed way back. Fit is the most important thing. I don't understand how people can buy these expensive bikes without knowing exactly what size they need. How many road bikes did you own before you bought this? Nevermind, the Serotto doesn't look like it fits either. Maybe you've always ridden a size too small frame and just got used to it.

Defender of Freedom...
    Quote Originally Posted by bruin11 View Post
    I'm not sure I need to size up. Looking around at pictures of other Lynskey builds, most are showing at least as much seatpost and similar amount of spacers. It's not 40mm (actually 33) and i will probably remove some of that and flip the stem so its more parallel to the ground. The seatpost is 20mm setback but the saddle needs to adjusted somewhat. I got this size since the geo is nearly identical to the Serotta that I have been riding.

I don't think anyone is concerned about the amount of seatpost you are showing rather the fact that its slammed back. If this isn't the final position, you might want to post it properly set up. Just looking at it it looks to be a small. Upsizing to a medium would get you approx 1.5 cm more TT and HT to work with. There might need to be a stem change but odds are you are going to be pretty close. Unless you bought is used, the swap is worth looking into.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    still say you need to size up.
    running 33mm of spacers, plus 1cm of stem rise, and your saddle is over 2cm's setback on a 20mm setback post.
    Even on the Serotta the fit looks marginal.

Go with a bigger size, run your saddle in the center of the setback position on your current post, and lose 2cm's of spacers because of the taller head tube.
    just my lousy opinion
    bike still looks really well put together
    hope you enjoy many miles on your new steed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000 View Post
    I don't think anyone is concerned about the amount of seatpost you are showing rather the fact that its slammed back. If this isn't the final position, you might want to post it properly set up. Just looking at it it looks to be a small. Upsizing to a medium would get you approx 1.5 cm more TT and HT to work with. There might need to be a stem change but odds are you are going to be pretty close. Unless you bought is used, the swap is worth looking into.
    Yeah I see what you guys are saying. The bike isn't totally set up but the seat probably won't be moving to much farther forward. I have flipped the stem and removed 3mm of spacers though. I'll look into moving up a size. Thanks for the constructive comments.
    Last edited by bruin11; 06-08-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Defender of Freedom...
    Hmmm. Now I'm confused, which fits you better? The stem up with 33cm of spacers or The stem down with <5cm of spacers? That is a dramatic difference, especially in reach (it gets longer as you go lower).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000 View Post
    Hmmm. Now I'm confused, which fits you better? The stem up with 33cm of spacers or The stem down with <5cm of spacers? That is a dramatic difference, especially in reach (it gets longer as you go lower).
    My mistake, I removed 3mm not 3cm. But it's better with the stem down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Nice ride and nice choice for your group. I've been riding Record/Chorus mix for so long I was starting to become a bit of a snob with the less expensive groups. Recently I buily up a cheap ride with Centaur and Voloce. It is now my work ride for lunch time rides. All I can say is that even the less expensive Campy looks great and works fantastic. Ribble can get you some very nice prices if you search.

titanium junkie
    Nice bike! Ignore all other unpleasant comments, who cares what others think as long as you are happy with it. Just ride!
    Thanks,

titanium goat

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    That looks great! I love the attention to detail.
    I would be tempted to go a little bigger though. When I first built up my Moots I had a zero offset seat post on it which meant that I had to push the seat back like that. When I got my layback post and I moved my seat back to the middle I felt that it improved the ride a little also.
    I think the number of spacers sometimes depends on body shape and flexibility as well. I have more seat post showing than you but my stem is slammed. This is because I have long legs but a shorter body.

B05
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    The most beautiful Helix I've seen was the one I saw @ a store built with DA and some 50mm carbon wheels. I was floored when I saw it.

They pop up on EBAY once in a while. There was a frame (fork inc.) that went for under $2 grand and too bad I didn't have the money for it.

OP- what's your height and inseam? Based on the Lynskey table I'm a Medium (54 ETT). I'm around 5'7.

Congrats on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    How do you like those Time pedals? Its one of the few brands of pedals I have never tried.

Defender of Freedom...
    Quote Originally Posted by B05 View Post
    The most beautiful Helix I've seen was the one I saw @ a store built with DA and some 50mm carbon wheels. I was floored when I saw it.

They pop up on EBAY once in a while. There was a frame (fork inc.) that went for under $2 grand and too bad I didn't have the money for it.

OP- what's your height and inseam? Based on the Lynskey table I'm a Medium (54 ETT). I'm around 5'7.

Congrats on the bike.
    I'm not a big fan of the Lynskey table. I'd ignore it and base any frame selection on the ETT (BTW I find the M's ETTs to be closer to 54.3) and HTL. At a hair over 69" I'm supposed to be on a M/L but it would definately be on the large size for me.