Talk me off the Ledge!!!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Talk me off the Ledge!!!

I've been riding 4 months now. Really enjoying it. For whatever reason, every part of my body want a Ti Bike. Accept for my head. It is telling me I don't need it and I won't enjoy riding a lynskey 3K more than my current bike (Spec Sectuer Disk).

I made the mistake of going to redbeard bikes in brooklyn and road a r230 and a r255.

The r230 was too small but we wanted to get a feel for the difference between the 2. The r255 was the right size. It was smoother and accelerated way more easily than my current bike. The r255 has black stickers and saddle and we were looking at a blue Chris King headset with blue bar tape for just a little character. It seemed like there was nothing under me. I've spent the last 4 days pretty much doing nothing but thinking about getting this bike. Sigh.

Even worse, part of me wants a Sportive Disk instead, yet I don't ride off road or in the rain unless I get caught mid ride.

arggg

cmn

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Put the Lynskey on your Christmas 2015 list. (The 2015 Russian Orthodox Christmas doesn't count unless you are Russian).

That will give you some more time to get used to your current Specialized, and talk to more people, and have a little better idea what you like and dislike, and what your ultimate goals will be.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I have a 255. It is awesome.
    Sold a Domane frame for it. It was a wise choice.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Goal A) Ride your damn bike (more)

If the Lynskey will make A) happen, then it'll be worth the $3K IMHO. Life is too short to be forever wanting something.
    "We are doomed to live in very interesting times"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I say; Jump!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
    I say; Jump!
    Coming on RBR saying "talk me off the ledge" is like going to a meth dealer asking for help quitting your drug habit.
    "We are doomed to live in very interesting times"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
    The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Put the Lynskey on your Christmas 2015 list. (The 2015 Russian Orthodox Christmas doesn't count unless you are Russian).

That will give you some more time to get used to your current Specialized, and talk to more people, and have a little better idea what you like and dislike, and what your ultimate goals will be.
    This would certainly be the wisest decision. I've gone through this with guitars in the past. The thing is, with guitars, I can drop into a store and spend a good amount of time with one to get a decent idea. and I can play plenty of guitar in a relatively short time. So finding out what I like (or not) is comparatively easy.

With a bike, I feel like I'd need a lot more than a ride around the block to know what I like (or not). More like an hour or more. To get even get that quick ride, I need to bother the LBS to set up the bike for me. While I have no problems asking for that help when I looking to buy, I have a hard time asking for that assistance when I know I am not really looking, I just want to test to see what I like or not.

I can be Russian for a day!! January 7th, here I come!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ride what you have for a few more months, THEN buy the Lynskey. It will make you better able to appreciate the ride of the Lynskey once you own it.

I was leery of a Ti bike when I looked at my first one in 2003, which was a David Lynskey designed Litespeed Tuscany. I bought it, rode the whiz out of it for several months and knew I was wise, or lucky, by choosing it over the two carbon bikes I was also considering.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Ride what you have for a few more months, THEN buy the Lynskey. It will make you better able to appreciate the ride of the Lynskey once you own it.
    Or look for the Lynskey now, I know of someone whom just got 50% off.
    Now may be the time...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I jumped. They are 40% off. r255, Ultegra (11-32 Cassette), Enve Fork, Bright Brushed Finish
    Blue:CK Headset & Seat Clamp,
    Black: Stickers, Saddle & Tape (I think). I pick it up Friday morning. 7:30 AM fitting.

My wife told me to buy it. Redbeard told me I can exchange the frame for a Sportive Disk if I am not comfortable with the breaking after a week or so. I don't ride in the rain or off road. So I am going to give it a go.

I have more money than sense I think. anyone want to buy a guitar Amplifier to fund my bike? It is nice!!!

cmn

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cnardone View Post
    I jumped. They are 40% off. r255, Ultegra (11-32 Cassette), Enve Fork, Bright Brushed Finish
    Blue:CK Headset & Seat Clamp,
    Black: Stickers, Saddle & Tape (I think). I pick it up Friday morning. 7:30 AM fitting.
    Yeah, a friend got a frameset for 50% recently. Does not get much better than that really.

I have more money than sense I think. anyone want to buy a guitar Amplifier to fund my bike? It is nice!!!

cmn
    Good luck with that one. I tried to sell my VibroVerb/BMR clone when my wife let me buy the Disc Roubaix in Aug. I wound up selling my 84 Colnago to gain some of the coin she let me spend. If not for the 1972 Paramount I would be sick about selling off a SLX Lugged Nago for a plastic bike, discs or not. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I hope you enjoy your new bike.

I will say that there are always sales, apparently frequently in the fall. But, there are definite advantages of getting a good sale price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm happy for you. You got a real deal on it. Plus, you're gonna enjoy that Lynskey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I picked up the bike today! I took 1/2 a day vacation to do the fitting and pick up the bike at Redbeard bikes in Brooklyn. I expected to get home in time to go for a ride before I had to be back at work. It took longer than expected. I got home just in time to start work. Arg!!!! I should have taken the whole day off!!!
    I am taking her out in the morning.
    I need to go back in a couple of weeks to cut the extra top off of the steer tube and replace the seat tube clamp with a blue one, to match the head set. I am pretty excited for my first ride.

Attachment 300972
    Last edited by cnardone; 10-10-2014 at 12:11 PM.