Upgrade to Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I've had Bontrager, Shimano, numerous Vuelta wheels, and both Equipe and Elites, and for reliability and feel, the Mavics are excellent and an extremely good value. I've blown out spokes, and spoke nipples, ruined bearing races by trying to push double the mileage before a teardown, bent rims, etc, but never with the Mavics. I read the prevailing opinions about these wheels, but got a great deal on a set of used returns from the LBS. I didn't even want to put them on my bike until I broke a spoke on my Corsa Team V rims and used the front as a temp replacement. I could immediately tell a difference and I like it enough that I bought a second set so I have a backup while the Team V's are being rebuilt one more time before I sell them.

I really really tried not to like them, but in the end, I'm sold on Mavics. I ride about 4000 to 5000 miles a year. If I get a couple years out of them, I'd say I got my $ worth. Maybe I'm lucky. I consider myself lucky to have given them a chance rather then simpy follow the crowd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I totally agree with black7. No matter all the supposed faults of Mavic wheels listed exhaustively above, in my personal experience and the people I ride with Mavic wheels (along with Campagnolo wheels) are the most reliable wheels you can buy. Also, any decent pro-shop (including some Performance bike shops) have the parts in stock to do any repairs necessary. I've had Neuvation and Bicycle Wheel Warehouse wheelsets and still keep coming back to Mavic for their bullet proof reliability. The only defect I can find is I find Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels can be somewhat harsh riding on some frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

Oh dear

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    i'm one of many on this forum that know Mavic wheels are nothing special. in fact, they've tried (for some reason) to re-invent the wheel and have ended up taking a few steps in the wrong direction. because of their involvement w/ pro racing and the extremely high visibility they get because of that, they've managed to get a crazy amount of OEM spec and also a ton of aftermarket sales.
    the wheels are not very smart in a number of ways. since i'm currently well caffeinated i'll list them for you.
    1) low spoke count...this means the rim must be heavier to maintain strength. this is why Mavic mills out the area between the spokes (they call it 'ISM') to keep the weight reasonable. as anyone that has the slightest knowledge of physics knows, the rim is the last place you want to add unnecessary weight.
    2) proprietary spokes/hubs/rims...this means if/when you damage a wheel, you have to find a shop that actually has the parts to fix it. good luck w/ that.
    3) the spokes are threaded directly into the rim. this requires large, threaded holes in the rim. this creates stress risers and many Mavic rims crack well before they're worn out.
    4) the Mavic freehub is about the worst engineered product in all of cycling. one cartridge bearing on the outside where the load is lowest, and a phenolic bushing on the inside where the load is greatest. EVERY other freehub in the world runs on 2 bearings. the Mavic freehub needs frequent lubrication (every 2-4mos for most users) to keep it working properly.
    there are literally thousands and thousands of Mavic wheels in use and most of them work just fine. but...if you want something that is light-ish, dependable, and not expensive, there are many other good options. Elites are going brand-new with tires for $799 or less every day, so the ones you're looking at (if near-new) aren't a bad deal. the wheels have nearly zero impact on ride quality compared to tire size, construction, and pressure. if you want a nice ride, get some good quality 25mm tires and inflate them to 80-85 rear and 70 or so in the front at your weight.

i wish I read this before splashing £500 on new MKE wheel set. I don't feel any real difference to the Bontrager standard wheel set that came with Trek Madone 3.1. Maybe I am not good enough cyclist. Every now and again on good roads with a bit of downhill it feels bit faster but generally up the hill or in the wind it just feels the same but less comfortable.

2014 Cannondale SS EVO
    My lbs carries Mavic and services them. Prior to upgrading from myAksium to Elite wheels, I did plenty of research. There was way, way too many positive reviews by general people and more experienced. Sorry, but had no concern whatsoever. Maybe some just had a bad experience and want to dump on the wheelsets. These few opinions are certainly in the minority.

2014 Cannondale SS EVO
    I really hope you did some research and not rely on one poster and a couple that agreed. I reviewed hundred or more and more than 90% were positive. I know 3 riders that have them and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stantone View Post
    Thanks for the replies - exactly the info I was seeking. I am now thinking new might be a better way to go. Now I have to convince myself such an upgrade is worth the $$. I intend to try 25's as soon as current tires show some wear. And cxwrench, your next cup's on me : )

WITHND
    Feb 2014
    I have Mavic Aksium Race wheels on my 2014 Jamis Xenith Race I have heard these are good except maybe a little heavy compared to other options if I want to race in the future... So far I have had no issues with them I weigh about 160lbs and am 5' 11'' so I would think these should be more than handy for a good while...?
    IMG_0551.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great thread. Thank you all for sharing your experience, gentlemen.

I just purchased a set of the Ksyrium Elite S wheels that have not been delivered yet. My old wheels are the previous version with nearly 20,000 miles on them, according to my cyclometer which rolls over at 10,000 miles back to zero, and is nearly ready to do that again with the older wheels in service on my Scott Addict. Actually, it may already have rolled over twice. I am old and my memory is not great. The Addict was new in 2008 and I ride a fair amount. Being an ex-racer who has retired in a part of the planet where the weather is wonderful year round will definitely help increase your mileage.

Today, I noticed a slight side "blip" in the front wheel. Not knowing that the nipple has left hand threads, I backed it off a quarter turn before realizing it goes the other way and the last couple of threads separated from the nipple, staying in the rim. Fortunately, they were not too difficult to remove and a little heat from the gas range top made it possible to unscrew the little brass wedge from the end of the spoke itself. It was then possible to grind a little material off the portion of the wedge that bears against the nipple, allowing the shortened nipple to work just fine.

Yes, that nipple sits a bit lower in the hole in the rim now, but the wheel is perfectly true again. Admittedly, I don't completely trust it. Just like conventional spoke nipples that usually seem to fail several at a time when they start to fatigue, I anticipate future problems, especially with aluminum. Hence the wheel set purchase as insurance. I'm a little afraid to mess with the rear wheel which also seems to be going out of true very slightly. Once the replacement is on hand, that may change.

Anyway, given the many trouble free miles of riding on roads that are sometimes a challenge, including the occasional pass through an unexpected gap in the pavement, it feels like I "got my money's worth" out of the first set of Mavic Ksyrium Elites. So, I am looking forward to similar good service with the new set when they arrive.

Yeah, I also have some great Neuvation wheels and would have been quick to go back to John if he were still in business. But, apparently, he is not. The current pricing on comparable wheels from other smaller (and larger) suppliers is not that different from Mavic pricing. In fact, I experienced a little sticker shock before finding a well priced set of the current Elite S version.

Anyway . . . Sorry about the book . . . but, despite the possible design failings you have pointed out, my experience with Elites has been very positive and I hope it continues.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    Yeah, I also have some great Neuvation wheels and would have been quick to go back to John if he were still in business. But, apparently, he is not. The current pricing on comparable wheels from other smaller (and larger) suppliers is not that different from Mavic pricing. In fact, I experienced a little sticker shock before finding a well priced set of the current Elite S version.

Anyway . . . Sorry about the book . . . but, despite the possible design failings you have pointed out, my experience with Elites has been very positive and I hope it continues.
    there's some thread a week or so ago, about Jon starting up again.

See
    Home
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    The new Neugent web page - Home. Flo 30s are a pretty good deal for the buck too.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    there's some thread a week or so ago, about Jon starting up again.

See
    Neugent Cycling Home
    Hey, Mr. TedNugent!

Thanks for the heads up. The California built offerings look nice and light.

But, timing is everything . . . if we need another set, I will try them.

Thanks again from the old guy who just bought his next few years worth of wheels.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Hi. I am resurrecting this thread because I am looking for recommendations for new wheels for an 01 Zurich I recently picked up. I was considering the Ksyriums and...you can imagine the search terms that led me here.

FWIW, I weigh about 210# and am looking for something for group rides of 35-75 miles on imperfect (frequently hilly) roads. I am leaning toward 28 mm tires though would consider 25s, nothing skinnier and larger probably wont fit.

I would definitely consider used and would rather spend less than $500.

Thanks.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Iíd be surprised if you could get 28s to fit that bike. IMHO you should plan for 25s.

In any case thatís sort of a separate question than which wheels to buy. I mean you wonít want to get any of the new 25mm outer dimension wheels, but anything around 21mm would be fine. For example, here is a Shimano WH-500 wheelset at an ok price and reasonable weight. https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-WH...-Road-Wheelset

If price is a major concern youíd probably be able find a set lower than those Shimanos pretty easily. There are many higher-performance wheels available at a higher price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Thanks for the response.

I tried a 28 gatorskin I had lying around and it fit fine on the original Rolf Vectors. If that is is still not recommended, I agree it is a separate discussion but I would be iterested in hearing it.

I assumed I wouldnt be looking for 25mm OD wheels but wasnt certain. Price isnt the major concern. I have just sort of hoped that deals on rim brake wheels might be out there as more and more bikes are sold with disc brakes - maybe this is fanciful notion. Perhaps this would be more true on the used market?

In any event, I'd be looking for a wheelset "appropriate" to the bike that is suitable for the riding I plan for.

In case its not yet apparent, I am new to roadbiking and picked up this Lemond to see how I like it. Ive been riding a Salsa Vaya and it has gotten me fairly fit, but being able to go a bit faster would open up a bunch more group rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12