Any Merckx experts out there?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3

    Any Merckx experts out there?

    Hi there,
    (moved form vintage forum)
    I was wondering if anyone may have any information on this frame.The serial number is 2X Y 3997 A (in a U shape left to right). There's a sticker on the seat tube below the clamp that says 'original paintwork Eddy Merckx' abnd I'm wondering if it's a team colour? On the chain stay is a Belgian bike store sticker (Plum oostende). The 'corsa extra' name is on the top tube at the seat end and all the others I've seen the name is by the head tube.

    Anyway, thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to putting it together.

    Cheers,
    Matt


  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: zmudshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,649
    Has a number hanger, so that's a start. Check here:
    http://www.tearsforgears.com/search/label/team%20colors
    The owner of the site posts here, I forget his name, though. Sorry.

  3. #3
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013

    if the 2 X is on the left

    that means it is a 62 Corsa Extra and by the #s around 1986ish (best guess) check the rear wheel spacing thatwill help

    it appears to have a race number holder so it could be a team bike. Look into these teams
    Team Stuttgart
    Karel Mintjens

    contact this guy

    www.cadre.org/Merckx
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  4. #4
    i like whiskey
    Reputation: innergel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    8,405
    Holy crap! A 62cm Corsa Extra. I am with joy at these pics. Rarely do the big frames turn up. Beautiful.

    I WANT it.

    Quote Originally Posted by mattarnold
    Hi there,
    (moved form vintage forum)
    I was wondering if anyone may have any information on this frame.The serial number is 2X Y 3997 A (in a U shape left to right). There's a sticker on the seat tube below the clamp that says 'original paintwork Eddy Merckx' abnd I'm wondering if it's a team colour? On the chain stay is a Belgian bike store sticker (Plum oostende). The 'corsa extra' name is on the top tube at the seat end and all the others I've seen the name is by the head tube.

    Anyway, thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to putting it together.

    Cheers,
    Matt


  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thanks guys,
    I had a look at the MX Leader in the gallery with the same paint https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1180...fa5237ae_b.jpg - says it's a '96. Who knows? Anyway I'm going to build it up, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma over which parts to use. One voice says new Campy and the other guyis saying 'period correct'. I'm leaning toward the former, but what are your thoughts?
    Matt

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tarwheel2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,830
    Build it with the parts you like to ride. Just don't swap the steel fork for carbon, and use silver/polished aluminum parts if you can find them. I've got a lot of black parts on my Corsa 01, but it's painted red&black, so they look great. But on your frame, I would go silver all the way.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    Hi. I'm the www.cadre.org/Merckx / www.tearsforgears.com guy. The date code on that frame indicates 86/87, while the paint suggests later. The 'original paintwork by Eddy Merckx' decal just indicates that it was painted in the factory, and not that its original paint -- my guess would be mid-90's repaint. Your guess of '96 seems in the right ballpark.

  8. #8
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013

    welcome avenan

    I've sent you a few e's and never heard from you. I have an early 80's Professional I could use some help with the dating.

    it has the standard for the era Merckx Silver Paint but has the Molteni Blue and Yellow DT sticker. I'll post the serial #s when I can find them
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: dmar836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    549
    Hello,
    Atpjunkie was trying to contact you as well...... sort of in the same boat.
    I recently e-mailed you pics on my early frame (red repaint) and wondered if you had any opinions. If you look under the "ID Help" thread in this Merckx forum, you will see all the info I have gotten. I would still appreciate opinions from one who has viewed many frames. The factory had no record and estimated it a Strata from the mid 80s. Certainly appears to fall earlier to me. If they assume correctly, could "Strata" be the same as the early Professional "Road" model?
    Dave
    KC

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    I've sent you a few e's and never heard from you. I have an early 80's Professional I could use some help with the dating.

    it has the standard for the era Merckx Silver Paint but has the Molteni Blue and Yellow DT sticker. I'll post the serial #s when I can find them
    Silver with Molteni-style decals? Merckx Fiat "replica".
    http://www.cyclingwebsite.net/beeldf...?beeldid=33126

    If you can give me the serial, I can probably give you more info.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar836
    Hello,
    Atpjunkie was trying to contact you as well...... sort of in the same boat.
    I recently e-mailed you pics on my early frame (red repaint) and wondered if you had any opinions. If you look under the "ID Help" thread in this Merckx forum, you will see all the info I have gotten. I would still appreciate opinions from one who has viewed many frames. The factory had no record and estimated it a Strata from the mid 80s. Certainly appears to fall earlier to me. If they assume correctly, could "Strata" be the same as the early Professional "Road" model?
    Dave
    KC
    I'm not sure that the factory has records for bikes built prior to 1985 -- I think they may have moved or something that caused them to change their serial scheme.

    I'm curious why they think its a Strada. What size seatpost -- not that I think that'll tell us much, since SL and Cromor could both be 27.2? Cromor would be seamed, but I think its highly unlikely you'd see one if you looked down the head tube or seat tube, but I suppose its worth a try. Other than that, I don't have any great ideas, sorry.

  12. #12
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013

    awesome, that is it

    flat crown fork, over the BB routing
    I just have to fiund the serial or go to my storage

    link to pic before I put the whire regal on

    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...60739#poststop
    Last edited by atpjunkie; 02-10-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    308
    Hey Matt,
    My two cents tells me that your frame is from the 1996-1998 range. I have the same paint design, color and decal placement as yours with no number hanger, but my frame is a MX Leader from the 1997-1998 range. Because your frame has internal top tube cable routing, it's difficult for me to swallow that your frame was a repaint from the mid 1980's

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal
    Hey Matt,
    My two cents tells me that your frame is from the 1996-1998 range. I have the same paint design, color and decal placement as yours with no number hanger, but my frame is a MX Leader from the 1997-1998 range. Because your frame has internal top tube cable routing, it's difficult for me to swallow that your frame was a repaint from the mid 1980's

    Merckx intro'd internal cable routing as an option in 1985 -- you can see it here:

    http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/eddy_merckx2/

    Which predates the introduction of the Corsa/Corsa Extra models in 1986. The early internal cable routing had both the entry + exit guides on the top of the top tube. Later models (starting in '89 or '90) routed the front along the bottom of the top tube (at least, the ones I've seen).

    Does yours route both along the top?

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    308
    I didn't know that internal cable routing was available as an option as early as 1985. I had two Cora Extras from the late 80's and very early 90's that had the cable routing with three cable guides running along the top of the top tube. Anyway, my MX leader's cable routing is the same as your frame. Additionally, the placement of the Columbus decal on the seat tube near the bottom bracket and the model name on the top tube near the seat tube merge instead of closer to the head tube are indicative of a mid to late 90's frame in my humble opinion

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    308

    my error

    Quote Originally Posted by avenan
    Merckx intro'd internal cable routing as an option in 1985 -- you can see it here:

    http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/eddy_merckx2/

    Which predates the introduction of the Corsa/Corsa Extra models in 1986. The early internal cable routing had both the entry + exit guides on the top of the top tube. Later models (starting in '89 or '90) routed the front along the bottom of the top tube (at least, the ones I've seen).

    Does yours route both along the top?
    Just checked the specifics on my Mx Leader, you're correct. My entry and exit guides are different than the frame shown. Mine is routed along the front and bottom of the top tube, a very astute observation on your behalf.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    308
    One more observation regarding the original pics of post. Look at the fork rake. Seems dramatic. According to the other posts, the bottom bracket number and the fork rake seem consistent with an 80's E.Merckx frame. I

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal
    Additionally, the placement of the Columbus decal on the seat tube near the bottom bracket and the model name on the top tube near the seat tube merge instead of closer to the head tube are indicative of a mid to late 90's frame in my humble opinion
    Or a 90's repaint. It's easy enough for the original poster to date that frame -- they can mail [email protected]. There's a guy named Tim over there who responds to most requests within a couple of days. Plan B, with a 50/50 chance of success, is [email protected], where a guy named Patrick seems to be answering requests for info -- at least when its an "interesting" (read: former pro team) frame.

    I freely admit to not having seen every Merckx ever made -- and would never put it past them to stamp a weird/out of sync serial on something. I've even heard rumors of them having stocks of steel frames hanging around on racks for years, waiting to be painted + sold.

  19. #19
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013

    my bike

    no internal cable routing (see pic on other post)
    over the BB cable routing
    Flat Crown Fork, one stamped / embossed Eddy,the other Merckx
    Columbus Sticker, no tubeset indication
    cutoutpattern on BB isclearly early 80's issue

    Serial #s
    Left side 1 A(Sixty One cm)
    Right side E 9601

    I contacted Gita and with that serial they said 94 and I told them to pass me the crack they were Smoking. My best guestimate is 1983.

    avenan,pm me your email, I just took some shots.I'll upload here later and send them to you if you want them for your records.it has a torn DT sticker but Gita is sending me a new one
    Last edited by atpjunkie; 02-16-2008 at 07:51 PM.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    Right side E 9601

    I contacted Gita and with that serial they said 94 and I told them to pass me the crack they were Smoking. My best guestimate is 1983.
    The "problem" is the E was used in pre-85 frames, but then later showed up for 94/95 frames.

    Does the inside of your fork have tangs with cutouts?

  21. #21
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013

    yes I know

    hence the confusion at Gita. You'd think they'd know that if we do.
    I think mine does(neverchecked), I was just checking my pix and I didn't shoot that area specifically but Ishottheforkcrown and it appears there are long tangs with cutouts (painted black) . It also has one triangular cutout on the forward part of the BB that is painted black
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  22. #22
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013

    yeah you can barely see them (the cutouts)

    on the forks (3rdpic)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  23. #23
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013

    more pix

    of more of the bike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  24. #24
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013

    and maybe it is just me

    but I find these bars so sexy I'm getting some similar (Nitto)for myMXL
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    308

    requesting assistance

    Quote Originally Posted by avenan
    Hi. I'm the www.cadre.org/Merckx / www.tearsforgears.com guy. The date code on that frame indicates 86/87, while the paint suggests later. The 'original paintwork by Eddy Merckx' decal just indicates that it was painted in the factory, and not that its original paint -- my guess would be mid-90's repaint. Your guess of '96 seems in the right ballpark.
    I checked out the above link, was unable to match my frames date codes info. with a specific year. Your expertise would be appreciated.
    Here's what I know:
    1996-1998 59cm MX Leader date coded: H1339, purchased new in 1998
    2001-2003 67cm (Alleged) Axel Merckx Time Trial titanium frame date coded:K4447, purchased used in 2003.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.