Back to riding vintage - Merckx Kelme Century
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Smile Back to riding vintage - Merckx Kelme Century

I'm back into vintage bikes. Finished this Team Kelme Merckx Century replica. And unlike buildsI've done years ago, I'm putting miles on this one. Rides nice, but climbing is tougher. I have two sets of wheels. One is same as the Kelme team - photo. The other is a large flange C Record with Archetype wheels. I love the way it shines in the sun!

MerckxKelme.jpg
    151955120418495BernalMendieta,Marco-Aurelio.jpg
    DSC_2755.jpg
    DSC_2756.jpg
    DSC_2757.jpg
    DSC_2761.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Beautiful bike to get back on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Sweet ride. Sew ups I hope. Are those Cinelli 66 or 64s with the XA stem?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Sweet ride. Sew ups I hope. Are those Cinelli 66 or 64s with the XA stem?
    Yeah the Campy rims are Sigmas with Corsa Tubulars. Cinelli 66-44 Campione Del Mondo bars.
    Last edited by uscric; 05-26-2020 at 11:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I have the Cinelli 66-44s with the X/A stem on my Gavia TSX that has Chorus Ergo 8s. What did the Merkx use for tubing, SL?

Still have a pair of Chorus hubs with GL330s, but I haven't glued a tire on in years. Seems to be much more debris on the roads these days.

One thing for sure is Merckx had a much better frame painter than Pinarello. Yours looks flawless. Enjoy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    The Corsa Extra used SLX. This Century is built with TSX tubing. Not exactly flawless. Quite a few touch ups which took a while to get the color right. I just get automotive touch-up paint in the closest color\tone, one that only needs to be lightened or darkened.

Pushing the limit of the C Record with 53/39 and 12/30 rear. Works pretty good with the retro-friction shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I know it's heretical but I found some Chorus Ergo 8 shifter/brake levers in E urope on Ebay and replaced the Syncro 8sp.

When compared with my other ride that is carbon with Shimano 10sp, my Pinarello TSX shifts like a Swiss watch. Sadly, for the most part, very few have ever had the chance to ride Campagnolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, Campagnolo got caught resting on their laurels in terms of shifting technology. But design and aesthetics ...no one did it better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by uscric View Post
    The Corsa Extra used SLX. This Century is built with TSX tubing. Not exactly flawless. Quite a few touch ups which took a while to get the color right. I just get automotive touch-up paint in the closest color\tone, one that only needs to be lightened or darkened.

Pushing the limit of the C Record with 53/39 and 12/30 rear. Works pretty good with the retro-friction shifters.
    Corsa Extra was built with SLX/SPX, TSX, Max and Reynolds 753, Century was built with Reynolds 653 and TSX
    Painting pattern Kelme 1991-1993
    Your frame was built after 1991
    If you can show us the factory markings
    Beautiful bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Yes I know. This one is a 1992. I have photos of all the Kelme team on this color scheme. Though they had gone from white to light blue, light blue and white, metallic green and white to this scheme. Then you see photos of some team Kelme on red and blue Merckx. This serial is P above 5TTB non-drive side D above 5745. I sold a Kelme Corsa Extra in the same scheme with a serial number X7 nondrive Z above 4942 which is said to be D=1985 anyway...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by uscric View Post
    Yes I know. This one is a 1992. I have photos of all the Kelme team on this color scheme. Though they had gone from white to light blue, light blue and white, metallic green and white to this scheme. Then you see photos of some team Kelme on red and blue Merckx. This serial is P above 5TTB non-drive side D above 5745. I sold a Kelme Corsa Extra in the same scheme with a serial number X7 nondrive Z above 4942 which is said to be D=1985 anyway...
    P5TTB D5745 - Century TSX January/February 1993
    82/83 - light blue
    84 - white
    85 - white + light blue
    86/87 - red/white
    88/89 - green/white
    90 - blue/red
    91-93 - blue/white/green
    A7X Z4942 - Pro SLX Fall 1985