Eddie Merckx. The Pete Rose of Cycling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feb 2004

Eddie Merckx. The Pete Rose of Cycling

long last our ride time

$4000 bike - two bit legs

Maybe I missed something?

But how in the world does this article equate EM to Pete Rose?? As a native Cincinnatian, Pete Rose ranks somewhere between raw sewage and lima beans on my favorites list. As you can guess, the comparision is rather insulting to EM IMHO. Explain?
    Paul in Northern Kentucky

Across the mighty Ohio from Cincinnati:
    The Obesity Capital of the USA
    (Explains a lot of the intolerance about us riders, huh?)

Nov 2002
    you beat me to it...i was going to ask the same thing...

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCL
    But how in the world does this article equate EM to Pete Rose?? Explain?
    They weigh the same Although Eddie does have more hair
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Feb 2004

gambling

They've both gambled on their respective sports. By Eddie saying who is going to win, he is essentially gambling, he is taking a gamble that he could be wrong. Pete Rose was banished from baseball for essentially the same thing. Cycling has been very good to Eddie, I'm shocked that he would risk it all by gambling.
    long last our ride time

I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Quote Originally Posted by intrrwrldchmp
    They've both gambled on their respective sports. By Eddie saying who is going to win, he is essentially gambling, he is taking a gamble that he could be wrong. Pete Rose was banished from baseball for essentially the same thing. Cycling has been very good to Eddie, I'm shocked that he would risk it all by gambling.
    Hoo boy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You must like long stems and toptubes 'cause that is quite a sttrrretch.

Oct 2002

Very poor analogy

He is simply analyzing the race, course and riders & picking his favorite. He’s not gambling in any way.

Now, if back in ’74, he bet real money on the # 2 racer in the World Road Championship, raced hard and then “cramped up” and lost in the end to the #2, your analogy would be more appropriate. Or maybe if he had a long history of betting on pro cycling while involved in the sport as a racer, team manager, etc…

To quote Jules in Pulp Fiction (expletives deleted): “ain't the same ballpark, ain't the same league, ain't even the same f-in' sport.”

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cmgauch
    He is simply analyzing the race, course and riders & picking his favorite. He’s not gambling in any way.

Now, if back in ’74, he bet real money on the # 2 racer in the World Road Championship, raced hard and then “cramped up” and lost in the end to the #2, your analogy would be more appropriate. Or maybe if he had a long history of betting on pro cycling while involved in the sport as a racer, team manager, etc…

To quote Jules in Pulp Fiction (expletives deleted): “ain't the same ballpark, ain't the same league, ain't even the same f-in' sport.”
    Analyzing a race is one thing, but when you call someone "the biggest favorite" you come just short of posting odds. I would even take this a step further and say that in addition to gambling on the sport he is acting as an odds maker. In my opinion.
    long last our ride time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    IMHO, this is a ridiculous comparison. Eddy is simply saying who he thinks has the best chance of winning. If this is the case, there are a whole bunch of people involved in gambling. How many cyclists have picked Lance to win #6? It doesn't make them gamblers. Also, Eddy Merckx to my knowledge has never been involved in professional wrestling.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey422
    IMHO, this is a ridiculous comparison. Eddy is simply saying who he thinks has the best chance of winning. If this is the case, there are a whole bunch of people involved in gambling. How many cyclists have picked Lance to win #6? It doesn't make them gamblers. Also, Eddy Merckx to my knowledge has never been involved in professional wrestling.
    You're 1/2 right. He has not (to my knowledge) been involved in Pro Wrestling.
    long last our ride time

Diesel Engine

troll post

I don't know the poster so not a commentary on them, but this post is drug-induced...
    Last edited by Mike Prince; 03-31-2004 at 12:13 PM. Reason: is this better mr. moderator :)

Feb 2004

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Prince
    nmnmnm
    mmm ummm
    long last our ride time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Stupid, but interesting...

Do belgians (and other Europeans) have the same puritanical/hypocritical attitudes about gambling as we do?

AFAIK, they do not. So it might not be a big deal if Eddy WAS betting on cycling. Is he a DS, etc.. ? Or does he just make bicycles?

Ben

Apr 2003

yep..

Exactly what I said last week when she posted that Axel Merckx is not a legitimate pro because "he's not as fast as his father." Interestingly enough, she used a baseball analogy in that post as well.

Baseball fanatic with something against the Merckx family?
    Last edited by TNSquared; 03-31-2004 at 12:34 PM.

Feb 2004

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but...

isn't he paid to be a cycling commentator in Belgium? Granted these comments were supposed to be made in public on personal business, but can any commentator in ANY sport be doing their job properly without mentioning/discussing who the favorite(s) are? By saying he thinks an African country will win the World Cup by 2000-and-whatever, was former football/soccer player Pele being an immoral, odds-influencing party back in the 90s? I honestly don't see what your point is, intrrwrldchmp, I just don't see any connection whatever between Merckx's comments and any moral issue. Let alone the Pete Rose thing...

And finally, what does it matter whether someone influences the oddsmaking? Dozens of people do for each event such as this. I think people who pay attention to odds have more serious, immediate problems than worrying about who influences them.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSquared
    Exactly what I said last week when he posted that Axel Merckx is not a legitimate pro because "he's not as fast as his father." Interestingly enough, he used a baseball analogy in that post as well.

Baseball fanatic with something against the Merckx family?
    He is a she, Axel is not as fast as his father was, I don't watch baseball, and I don't have anything against the Merckx family. It's sad when Freds call a real rider, who cares about the sport's image, a troll !!!
    long last our ride time

Strained coccyx etc etc

Lightbulb that'll do on the name calling

please don't escalate the name calling.

keep it respectful or please don't post it.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

$4000 bike - two bit legs

Thanks Dad

Quote Originally Posted by J's Haiku Shop
    please don't escalate the name calling.

keep it respectful or please don't post it.
    But it isn't a surprise that this post degenerated quickly. Afterall, you wouldn't go on Catholic church website and insult the Pope, would you?? Insult Bush on the republican.com site??? Insulting Eddy on a road bike site??? That's just inviting trouble. All things considered, I think the responses were rather civil considering the post came out of left field....dare I say....trolling?????
    Paul in Northern Kentucky

Across the mighty Ohio from Cincinnati:
    The Obesity Capital of the USA
    (Explains a lot of the intolerance about us riders, huh?)

Apr 2003

Ok...

He is a she, Axel is not as fast as his father was, I don't watch baseball, and I don't have anything against the Merckx family. It's sad when Freds call a real rider, who cares about the sport's image, a troll !!!
    1) I edited my last post to read she
    2) NOBODY is as fast - or more accurately, as successful - as Eddy Merckx
    3) You know alot about baseball for someone who doesn't watch it
    4) I can attribute two negative posts in one week about Axel and Eddy to coincidence
    5) I retract the "troll" characterization at the Moderator's request, and because I generally just don't use this tactic (in fact, you'll see from the Axel thread that I pretty quickly edited my original reply to delete the troll reference - without Moderator intervention)
    6) I'd respectfully suggest that anyone who cares about the sport's image should refrain from dividing cyclists into "real riders" and "freds"

I can debate either of your topics on a friendly level, and I still completely disagree with both of your assertions (that Axel is not a legitimate pro and that Eddy gambled on cycling.) By your standards, there is not one single legitimate pro in the whole of cycling, and all sports analysts from the local radio jockeys to the ESPN anchors are compulsive gamblers.
    Last edited by TNSquared; 03-31-2004 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typo's (as usual)

eminence grease
    Sorry, it doesn't make him gambler, it makes him a pundit. Now we can argue all day long on which is worse, but a gambler he is not.

In order for him to come close to Rose, he'd have to be Bettini's manager and be placing bets on people to beat him.

In Blue America

Talking Agreed

Strange comparison, and posted simply to get a rise out of everyone. And she did.

Let's try to link Rebecca Twigg and Marge Schott next!

hrv

Dec 2001

Yeah, STFU, and....ride lots!!

Like I said, shut up and ride.

Apr 2003

Talking In retrospect, maybe I'm a little overly sensitive...

ya see, I just bought one of these.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
    The moderator asks us to stop calling others names and what do you do?
    You call him Dad!!!!
    Ride in Peace....Enjoy every sandwich......Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast