Eddy Merckx Factory visit successful and bittersweet! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    colnagophiliac
    Dec 2005
    A couple of years ago my children bought me some of the L'Equipe photos of various stages of the TDF of varying years ago. Two were of Eddy. Taking a chance, I sent the Eddy's off to Belgium with a request for autographing. Nothing happened! After ages..... many months anyway.... out of the blue, two returned photo, signed by the man himself.
    It is ( i think) just that he is a very busy man. Correction, Very busy GREAT man.

RoadBikeReview Member
    agreed and concise, "very busy great man" .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Will be there next month

Cannibal,
    Am heading to BEL for 10 days next month. Will be about 30 minutes from Brussels (near Mons). How far away is the factory? Any other info you could provide? Do I need to call ahead? Thanks.

Lee

RoadBikeReview Member

Hope this helps......

[QUOTE=leesub]Cannibal,
    Am heading to BEL for 10 days next month. Will be about 30 minutes from Brussels (near Mons). How far away is the factory? Any other info you could provide? Do I need to call ahead? Thanks.

Lee[/QUOTE

Lee,
    The factory is located in Meise, approx. 15-20 min. North of Brussels. Meise is sprawled out, rural countryside and the factory is difficult to find due to its remote location. It's not located in the Meise town center. Wemmel and Grimbergen are two towns nearby you can use as a reference. My advice is to call the factory for specific instructions when you're in Belgium. Eddy's reps. speak excellent English. The factory is closed on the weekends. When you are in Meise, I guarantee you will get lost, don't despair. Pull over and ask a local for directions. Hopefully, he/she will speak adequate English to point you in the right direction. The local I asked drew me a rudimentary map to the factory. Good luck and enjoy Belgium, emphasis on beer and chocolate. Regards, John

Not Banned

great story but what were you thinking?

buy it then and there and have him sign it. "Yeah I got this MXL at the Merckx Factory"
    "really who sold it to you"
    "eddy"
    worth whatver extra$$$ it would have cost ya. I undertsand noit wanting to intrude. I'm just upset that it is in my size. I want ot too.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    buy it then and there and have him sign it. "Yeah I got this MXL at the Merckx Factory"
    "really who sold it to you"
    "eddy"
    worth whatver extra$$$ it would have cost ya. I undertsand noit wanting to intrude. I'm just upset that it is in my size. I want ot too.
    Adenosine Triphosphate,
    message received and understood, I'm still losing sleep over this experience!

Not Banned

I wish you luck

Quote Originally Posted by cannibal
    Adenosine Triphosphate,
    message received and understood, I'm still losing sleep over this experience!
    big MXLs are hard to come by

there's an older 62 on ebay. 61's are my best fit.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Badger Biker
    This is the second story about Merckx being an awesome guy that I've heard.

First one was from a guy in my hometown, former pro rider who was in Europe and stopped by the factory. He inquired about a frame in his size, and Eddy comes out of the store room with one of Axel's frames -- number mounting braze-on, team colors, the whole shebang. Turns out this guy and Axel are pretty much identical as far as dimensions go, and he picked up the frame for an absolute song.

I'd love to meet Eddy Merckx. From what I've read, if you invite him to a charity ride, be prepared to have him rip the legs off the group -- he's still got it.

RoadBikeReview Member

similar story, different circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by biker_boy
    This is the second story about Merckx being an awesome guy that I've heard.

First one was from a guy in my hometown, former pro rider who was in Europe and stopped by the factory. He inquired about a frame in his size, and Eddy comes out of the store room with one of Axel's frames -- number mounting braze-on, team colors, the whole shebang. Turns out this guy and Axel are pretty much identical as far as dimensions go, and he picked up the frame for an absolute song.

I'd love to meet Eddy Merckx. From what I've read, if you invite him to a charity ride, be prepared to have him rip the legs off the group -- he's still got it.
    In 2003, I was at the factory. Eddy was not there, but his rep sold me a used Axel Merckx time trial machine. Frame and fork were in mint condition, only 100 km of use according to the rep, team colors and decals, no number braze-on, sold it to me for 1500 Euros. Back then, the Euro was on Par with the dollar, so approx. 1500 dollars. At 6'3", I believe I,m a tad shorter than Axel, but the frame fits well. The hospitality at the Merckx factory is impeccable. Here's a photo of the frame/fork receipt with dimensions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was doing a search for information on the MX Leader, when I rediscovered this thread. I had read it several years ago when I was doing research for buying my Merckx. I honestly think that some of the stories in this thread helped to reinforce my decision to buy one of his bikes. I've heard multiple stories about him being humble and down to earth, despite being such a monster (in a good way!) on the bike.

Many years ago there was a short story by Maynard Hershon. It told of how Eddy took the time to go to Interbike to help promote his brand in the US. Any way, to make a long story short, after the show was over and all the grunt work of tearing down the booths and packing up the displays was being done, Maynard took a short break to head over to the bathroom. And what did he see? Eddy, helping to tear down the Gita display, sweating and working his butt off, just like he did on the bike. Eddy is a star, and no one would have faulted him for heading right back to the hotel or directly to Belgium with his feet up in first class, but there he was. Pure class. If you get a chance to read the full story, check it out. I believe it was simply titled "Eddy", and in the book Tales from the Bike Shop. (If not, it was in Half Wheel Hell.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12