Frames you wish Merckx made?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Frames you wish Merckx made?

Was daydreaming on my flight today about what frames I really wish Merckx had launched as part of their line-up back in the heyday of steel. Part of the exercise was nostalgic, but part of it was trying to identify other classic steel frames by other framebuilders that I'd like to own someday.

Here's my list:

an EL/OS frame: call it the Tourmalet, 1969, or something referring to it's superlightweight use for climbing. De Rosa has the Primato, why not a Merckx EL/OS?

A commemorative Giro frame: I always liked the pink Telekom frames. A pink themed Giro bike would've been awesome. Heck, you could've offered an entire line commemorating Eddy's Grand Tour wins with different paint commemorating the different races (instead of the decals that went on the Molteni bikes). He made the Arcobaleno to commemorate his World's victories, so why not? Would've been a classy way to end the EM era.

More shaped tubes a la MX Leader: Eddy clearly knew how shaped tubes could be used, so why not a frame out of Columbus MS, Gilco tubes like Colnago's Master or something similar?

What else can you guys think of? Sorry, it's a slow day here......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    merckx should make 2 frames. corsa extra (SLX) and MX Leader (max/mxl)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    They need one steel frame in the line up right now. A "classic" as you will. Could be similar to a MX Leader or a Corsa Extra. I've just missed on two MX Leaders in my size this summer, but will find one eventually. Look at many of the other Euro bike builders that are re-issuing or introducing steel frames. There seems to be greater availability of some gorgeous, classically designed framesets. I'll assume the market is large enough, or they wouldn't take these chances. Don't know how many of these re-issues ride, but they really look intriguing.

my bike's underpowered
    Jul 2008
    I'd like a 53cm EL/OS w/ Panasonic paint.
    life is a journey......enjoy the ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Milan San Remo model would have been appropriate since Eddy won it X 7. How about built with Columbus Minimax? The Minimax tubes were the same shape and butting profiles as Max but .185 smaller in diameter to my knowledge.

Roadcyclist

how about a frameset using Deda OEM 16.5??

a lightweight steel frame using the the Deda OEM 16.5 tubeset would be nice
    something like the old Pinarello Opera, minus the carbon seatstays

Not Banned

simple

Max Tubed MXL Cross Bikes
    I'll take 2
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    TSX Telecom

RoadBikeReview Member
    This may be sacrilege, but I wish Merckx made steel touring or sport touring frame - that is, a frame with slightly longer chain stays and mounts for racks and fenders. The geometry of Merckx frames fits me perfect, so I wish that I had one I could use for commuting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    TI Frame (a la Millenium3) with old school paint options (Faema, Molteni, 7-Eleven, Motorola).

I'd never have to buy another frame....