Hmm, what's in this box in my garage? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Rashid is the Eddy Merckx agent for South Africa, so he is the real deal, although i don't think he has that much experience in shipping products, especially overseas. In Europe and the USA consumers have become so used to buying on Ebay that a certain standard of shipping and packing products is expected. We don't have that here at all, and most of us still buy our bikes from the LBS.

I'm also pretty sure those frames are beeing sold at cost or even below, so i don't know how motivated Rashid is in getting rid of them.

Nice to see those frames going to good homes though, I wouldn't mind acquiring one for myself, before you guys come and buy them all up.

Almost forgot to mention, the USD/Rand exchange rate has moved by 30% in the last year in the Dollars favor, so those frames are cheaper now than ever.
    Last edited by zacolnago; 03-09-2008 at 10:42 AM.

i like whiskey
    That's exactly how they packed my frame. I was carrying the box and checking it through as luggage so I had some control over how it was handled. I think that if I was getting something shipped, then I'd want some more bracing in the fork ends and the dropouts. Not to mention a little more padding around the frame to keep it from ratting so much in the box.

I'm still waiting on his inventory list. No word yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KayTee
    I've been checking out this thread with great interest. A couple of years ago my SO found Rashid's website, exchanged e-mails, received photos, and then phoned him to order a gorgeous NOS MXL frame. It was shipped air and, to make a very long story short, lost, apparently b/c of the airline's SNAFU. But when the frame finally showed up, it had been very poorly packed and sustained minor damage to its beautiful and, from the photos received, previously undamaged pearl white paint job (assuming it was indeed the same frame, of course). Unlike Innergel's, this frame had just been packed in an Eddy Merckx logo foam bag secured with EM tape, then put inside (and subsequently rattled around in) a 2-piece, thin cardboard box. He'd buy from this shop again, but not before specifying detailed packing standards on the front end of the transaction. Having said that, both of us are now wondering what remaining stock Rashid has in 55-56 and 52 cm!

i like whiskey
    Rashid is a nice guy and it's a good shop. If he wants to sell the frames, then there is definitely a market as is evidenced by the interest in this thread. I'm not particularly concerned with his margins. He can bump up the price if he wants to. They are still a good deal. Otherwise, they will hang in his shop for a few more years and he'll have to pay taxes on his inventory. No skin off my back either way.

I told him multiple times to list them on US ebay. I told him I would do it for him and we could work out a profit sharing deal based on the prices published on his website. Maybe he's doing that right now. Maybe that's why he won't send me his inventory list like he promised multiple times. Either way, I'd prefer for him to sell the frames to someone who will ride them instead of them hanging in a shop where no one knows they are there.

Next time I'm down there, I'm going back. I'll buy frames for whoever wants them and make sure they are packaged correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by zacolnago
    Rashid is the Eddy Merckx agent for South Africa, so he is the real deal, although i don't think he has that much experience in shipping products, especially overseas. In Europe and the USA consumers have become so used to buying on Ebay that a certain standard of shipping and packing products is expected. We don't have that here at all, and most of us still buy our bikes from the LBS.

I'm also pretty sure those frames are beeing sold at cost or even below, so i don't know how motivated Rashid is in getting rid of them.

Nice to see those frames going to good homes though, I wouldn't mind acquiring one for myself, before you guys come and buy them all up.

Almost forgot to mention, the USD/Rand exchange rate has moved by 30% in the last year in the Dollars favor, so those frames are cheaper now than ever.

i like whiskey

Pics finally

Here you. Sorry for the wait. I tried to get some pics of the small dings, but they didn't come out. It's basically perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ace70
    Here goes
    got the same 1 ,was thinkin about stripping it & sellin the frame since I got my Leader

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    So my Arizona buds are scheming to buy South African Merckxes without me? Some friends. Innergel that frame looks fantastic, and If you are going back I would certainly like to know what the inventory is like....Toomany and Zmud have enough bikes, especially Merckx, but I on the other hand..........

b21

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zmudshark
    One fuzzy flash picture in fromt of the rubish bins:
    DAMN YOU ZMUD FOR NOT BEING MY SIZE!!!!!

Nice bike. My fave Merckx paint.

Are you worthy of that AND the DeRosa AND the Faema in Michigan?? Why am I lusting so??

b21

RoadBikeReview Member
    b21,

Don't forget the Cinelli SC back in MI. Do you have one of those yet?

toomanybikes
    First off;

Innergel. You done GOOD. Really nice frame and I am sure a Della Santa fork will work very well with it.

Nice.

Glad it finally happened.

Second;

Barry. we are not trying to sneak in a special shipment of Mercks behind your back, but ........

I need a another bike like a need a hole in the head but two that would pop my rivets would be a De Rosa in ELOS and a NOS Merckx Arcobaleno. Neuron steel and never sold in North America.

If it happened that Innergel was able to put a shipment together and the store had one in my size ( they do) I'd be on it.

However, there is a problem, and its name is zMudshark!

He keeps pointing out ( and enjoying it) the essential truth, of .............

Third;

Hard to lose sight of the fact that any one of these frames would be roughly the value of a washer/dryer combo that I know Mrs. TMB feels is essential to the new house ( women! )

and ........

Fourth;

Can't lose sight of the fact that Mr. Strong will be delivering a shiny new custom to me in less than a month.

I am sure I will figure out a way ..................

RoadBikeReview Member
    b21 doesn't need another bike, I believe he now owns a model I have coveted (forgive me, Lord), for quite some time.

Congrats, b21

toomanybikes
    b21 doesn't need another bike, I believe he now owns a model I have coveted (forgive me, Lord), for quite some time.

Congrats, b21
    Geez, I haven' t checked - did he win that??

Holy crap - he did

Congrats B21.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by innergel
    Next time I'm down there, I'm going back. I'll buy frames for whoever wants them and make sure they are packaged correctly.
    Keep me posted if there's a MXL in a 52 or 54. Thanks.

singlecross
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ... somehow, I donít know how, I want to influence a trend toward just riding... just riding like kids ride, but as adults. - Grant Petersen

RoadBikeReview Member
    tmb, he didn't win it, he bought it.

Maybe mrs b21 will kill him and it will be available again. It's your correct size, isn't it?

I'm with you on you choice of two bikes yet to own. 54cm for me, 53 in a pinch, if it has a long top tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1021
    DAMN YOU ZMUD FOR NOT BEING MY SIZE!!!!!

Nice bike. My fave Merckx paint.

Are you worthy of that AND the DeRosa AND the Faema in Michigan?? Why am I lusting so??

b21
    I think the lusting has come 180*

DAMN YOU B21 FOR NOT BEING MY SIZE.

Do you think I'd look silly having 4cm blocks on your pedals? I could use red and green rubber bands to attach them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hi innergel
    very nice acquisition, just curious about the disposition of the MXL fork. What happened to it? IMHO, the MXL fork is unique. Did Eddy forget to send it to Rashid when he bought the frame set or did Rashid sell the fork only? Digressing, pencil me in for a 59-62cm steel Eddy, any model will suffice.

i like whiskey
    He said the frame used to be built up as a floor model. The fork was apparently lost in the breakdown. I emailed him last week telling him that if he happened to come across it in a closet somewhere, I wanted it, but no word back. It's unique for sure.

If he'd ever send me his frame inventory, I'd be glad to facilitate a group buy for everyone. With the interest in these frames I'm thinking we could easily fill a pallet or two and get them airshipped to the US.

FWIW, if there is another 60+ frame in the bunch, I'm taking first dibs on it.

Quote Originally Posted by cannibal
    hi innergel
    very nice acquisition, just curious about the disposition of the MXL fork. What happened to it? IMHO, the MXL fork is unique. Did Eddy forget to send it to Rashid when he bought the frame set or did Rashid sell the fork only? Digressing, pencil me in for a 59-62cm steel Eddy, any model will suffice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    FWIW, if there is another 60+ frame in the bunch, I'm taking first dibs on it. [/QUOTE]

justifiable and warranted in terms of pecking order if this pipe dream ever materializes ....If you don't mind me asking, what is the date code on your frame? My Mx leader is H1339, purchased new in 1998.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ditto on anything in a 62cm or 63cm, especially if it's SLX or Arcobaleno (good choice TMB!!) Heck, I'd even add another MXL to the stable if you twist my arm enough.

toomanybikes
    Well,

given that I am down 3 bikes today, someone better get on this group buy.

Pronto.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm in for an Arcobaleno in a 54.

toomanybikes
    This is what I got from the SA store

<<
    Hi Jim
    Stock of Arcobaleno frame & fork
    centre to centre

regards
    Rashid
    >>

If he is right that the 58 is a 57 top tube - it's mine.

Beyond that you guys can fight over them.

I sent him another email on the inventory as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dang, none my size. Hope one fits you TMB, you deserve it!

toomanybikes
    Dang, none my size. Hope one fits you TMB, you deserve it!
    That is just that model though,

He has Stradas, Corsas, Corsa Extras, Mx Leaders as well.

This is why we're trying to get the inventory from him.

Probably too much to hope that there might be a stray Grand Prix in my size hiding in there somewhere?

RoadBikeReview Member
    WHOA - I would LOVE to buy the 52 Arcobaleno if fork's intact. Hope Rashid provides his inventory soon!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    TMB, I heard the news about the fire and your loss......so sorry you have to go through that, but at least no-one was hurt and material things can be replaced.

Best of luck with the insurance process.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast