Hmm, what's in this box in my garage?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    i like whiskey

Hmm, what's in this box in my garage?

Oh yes, that's a little something I picked up when I was in South Africa last week. Lucky me I thought I'd give you a little teaser.

Stay tuned. More details to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by innergel
    Oh yes, that's a little something I picked up when I was in South Africa last week. Lucky me I thought I'd give you a little teaser.

Stay tuned. More details to come.
    I been waitin' all day ...............

This is what you give us ??!! ..............................

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks to be a strip tease, and not my size...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, now you know you need to sell one of your Eddys to me. You and OFG are buying up the world's remaining stock of Merckx steel,aren't you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    That's my paint scheme! Brilliant, I love it. (Though mine's got chromed lugs ). Was just out on it for 50 miles in decidedly flemish weather.

i like whiskey
    Strip tease indeed I'll try to get some more pics up today.

It's a 60. And this is my first Merckx. The one I was trying to buy last month fell through. Rik H, tanks for posting this pic. It's a beauty. Mine did not come with a fork so I'll have to get one built. I'll use this pic as a reference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Just let me know if you need any higher quality close-up shots for reference on fork paint work or anything else, I'll be happy to mail them to you.

Mine's even bigger than yours (or more crowd-control fence-like to some), I measure it to be a 63cm c-c frame, but it was sold to me as a 64 (even though I thought 63 was the biggest size they made) and lo and behold, when I had the fork out, there was a sticker with '64' written on it on the steerer tube.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Strip tease indeed I'll try to get some more pics up today.

It's a 60. And this is my first Merckx. The one I was trying to buy last month fell through. Rik H, tanks for posting this pic. It's a beauty. Mine did not come with a fork so I'll have to get one built. I'll use this pic as a reference.

I want to know the story behind this...You make a trip to South Africa and stumble on a 60cm Merckx in your size?
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    I want to know the story behind this...You make a trip to South Africa and stumble on a 60cm Merckx in your size?
    C'mon Dave, catch up will ya' ...........................

the_rydster
    You need an intervention toomany

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by the_rydster
    You need an intervention toomany

Oh gawd, I know that.

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    I've known I was going to SA for a while so I poked around the internet and found a few LBS's down there. I checked the "Specials" page on one site and it said they had some NOS Merckxs. I emailed the guy, but no response. I went up there anyway expecting to find two beaten up frames in a closet in 48cm and 50cm.

When I walked in I asked the guy if he had those Merckx he listed on his webpage. He said "sure" and takes me over to a wall with 4 racks on it, all full of NOS Merckx steel. I was dumbfounded. I asked what if he had anything big in an MXL and he pulls out a 60. I almost had a coronary right there. It was the last big size of any model, and believe me I looked at ALL of them.

After I bought the thing (obviously), I was literally speechless for about an hour. I was babbling like an idiot at lunch. My coworkers said they'd never seen anyone so happy about a "stinking bike." Obviously they don't read this website because this place is full of people who'd be in the same boat I was. Hell, I'm still over the moon!

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik H
    Just let me know if you need any higher quality close-up shots for reference on fork paint work or anything else, I'll be happy to mail them to you.

Mine's even bigger than yours (or more crowd-control fence-like to some), I measure it to be a 63cm c-c frame, but it was sold to me as a 64 (even though I thought 63 was the biggest size they made) and lo and behold, when I had the fork out, there was a sticker with '64' written on it on the steerer tube.
    Thanks Rik. I'll definitely take you up on your offer for more pics when ever you want to send them. I would prefer a bigger frame, like a 63, but beggars can't be choosers, esp. with MXL's. All us big guys need to stick together and demand more quality steel. Nothing more quality than an MXL.

LOVE the yellow bar tape. I think I'm going with white though.

and oh yeah, if i ever see your frame in person, I'm stealing your fork.

toomanybikes
    So I guess this qualifies as your birthday present eh?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi innergel,
    I too have got a Merckx from the same shop in SA, through the post. A Corsa 01 in 56cm. They sent me a size smaller than what they said they would and also sent me an fork off an alloy Merckx.
    The postage was criminal because they sent it via the airlines, but you know what.....

i'd do it all again, you were very lucky to be able to go to the store yourself, Rashid was very helpful to me but wasn't much help after the fact to sort out the problems. Doesn't matter as i got a shop soiled MXL fork from New Zealand and all is sorted.

Congrats and enjoy the ride, nothing better than finding a mystery steelie sitting in a store in a far away country,

Cheers

i like whiskey
    Nice! Rashid never responded to my first email, even after a follow up or two. I almost bailed on going to the shop because traffic was awful and I was in a bad mood. I'm glad I went (obviously). Once I was in the store, I was happy to be there. They were very helpful. I've got another email into him, so hopefully he's more responsive going forward.

Postage from SA is definitely very expensive. I'd pay for air though. Putting it on a boat adds about 3 months to the transit time. No thanks. Hopefully I'll be going back in the summer sometime. If so, I'll go back for sure. I'll probably bring another frame home if they have one.

And now, for the most important question for ace70, WHERE ARE THE PICS OF YOUR MXL?

Quote Originally Posted by ace70
    Hi innergel,
    I too have got a Merckx from the same shop in SA, through the post. A Corsa 01 in 56cm. They sent me a size smaller than what they said they would and also sent me an fork off an alloy Merckx.
    The postage was criminal because they sent it via the airlines, but you know what.....

i'd do it all again, you were very lucky to be able to go to the store yourself, Rashid was very helpful to me but wasn't much help after the fact to sort out the problems. Doesn't matter as i got a shop soiled MXL fork from New Zealand and all is sorted.

Congrats and enjoy the ride, nothing better than finding a mystery steelie sitting in a store in a far away country,

Cheers

toomanybikes
    Nice! Rashid never responded to my first email, even after a follow up or two. I almost bailed on going to the shop because traffic was awful and I was in a bad mood. I'm glad I went (obviously). Once I was in the store, I was happy to be there. They were very helpful. I've got another email into him, so hopefully he's more responsive going forward.

Postage from SA is definitely very expensive. I'd pay for air though. Putting it on a boat adds about 3 months to the transit time. No thanks. Hopefully I'll be going back in the summer sometime. If so, I'll go back for sure. I'll probably bring another frame home if they have one.

And now, for the most important question for ace70, WHERE ARE THE PICS OF YOUR MXL?
    You have inspired me to keep the Dancelli frameset I have here. Max frame and Fork, wild colours.

I was going to sell it but your journey to get this one has convinced me to keep it.

At some point I will send to Cyclart and have it painted, then I'll have a MAX bomber to go along with my MX Leader.

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    You have inspired me to keep the Dancelli frameset I have here. Max frame and Fork, wild colours.

I was going to sell it but your journey to get this one has convinced me to keep it.

At some point I will send to Cyclart and have it painted, then I'll have a MAX bomber to go along with my MX Leader.
    I was thinking about your Dancelli last night. Definitely a keeper. IIRC, the paint was just about perfect, and it was all paint, no transfers. It's certainly crazy, but it fits the period it was built. Unless you just have to have it re-sprayed, I'd leave it as is. But that's me.

Of course a lovely panel paint job with some nice Italian script would look fantastic too.
    This DeSalvo is particularly tasty.

So is this Canyon.

toomanybikes
    You're probably right.

After the last Merckx I put together - the last thing I should be worried about is "loud paint"

RoadBikeReview Member

Ok Ok

Here goes

toomanybikes
    VERY nice.

What have you used for spacers??

RoadBikeReview Member
    The only thing i didn't do when building up the frame was install the BB and steering bearings or cut the steerer.
    I was apprehensive about cutting the steerer before i measured myself up on the bike after building it, now i like the slightly more upright riding position.
    The bike shop that did the install used a selecton of alloy spacers to make up the difference in steerer length.

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    VERY nice.
    +1000

I think that yellow paint scheme is my favorite of all the Merckx paint schemes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since we are doing a 'striptease', I'll add this that showed up in my garage yesterday.

i like whiskey
    Here is the stash where I found my MX Leader. Now you can see why I was dumbfounded. There is another rack I didn't get a picture of not including the Arcabaleno's on another wall.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast