Just another Merckx.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the brake input, guys!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

FREE C-Record Seatpost !?!?!?

So, I was walking out of my LBS when the owner called over to me in the parking lot "Hey Robert, I have something for you...wait a minute"...so, I watched the fellow go to the trunk of his car and remove something which he brought to me: "Here, you're the first person I thought of when I found this in a box of junk in my garage. If you use it, great, otherwise you can just throw it away. You might use it for parts or something." I thanked him and took the green and grey item in my hand...it was a thoroughly oxidized and corroded seatpost...an aero seatpost...a seatpost with the Campy logo embossed in the sides.

Well, I brought it home, and into the shop we went to get some rouge and fire up the buffing wheel...15 minutes later this is what I had...it looks like brand new. I just can't believe it! Check it out...
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    but usually referred to simply as Monoplaners

excellent choice, a lovely brake, some of the nicest design
    I think monoplaners refer to a specific type of Campy brake design in which one brake arm threads through another brake arm. It 1st appeared in the late '80/early '90 with the Chorus group. Eventually it trickled down to Athena and even Mirage in the mid to late/90s.
    It is one of the most elegant brake design. Link below shows a pic of 'monoplaner" brake

https://www.campyonly.com/images/cat...1/91chorus.jpg

The brakes on this beautiful Merckx is "single pivot" Athena brakes from the early '90s. I think around '95/96 Campy start stenciling groupo names on the components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I love this website!

Thanks guys,

Robert.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    excuse me while I mop up the drool on my desk......I love those rags to riches stories. That shop owner just handed you about $150 dollars, since that is about what C-Record aero posts go for on ebay. Some jewelry you just can't put a price on on, and this one of those.

brewster

RoadBikeReview Member
    damn.. im so envious.. and you dont even really like that color which kills me..hahaha.. telekom is one of my grails... i love that scheme.... beauutifulll build... i dont have as much patience as you so i prollly woulda done the bike mis-justice and put newer campy on it.. but wow.. your build is perfect... maybe some delta brakes for that added bling!!!
    LOOK / CERVELO / BRIDGESTONE / TREK / BMC / COLNAGO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Hey kolarshooter,

really nice job on that bike!

Just a question: where did you manage to get that cinelli bar tape end those merckx bar-ends? That would look perfect on my Corsa 01!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Good god!!! This bike is LOVELY!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slotnick
    Hey kolarshooter,

really nice job on that bike!

Just a question: where did you manage to get that cinelli bar tape end those merckx bar-ends? That would look perfect on my Corsa 01!
    Why, through eBay, of course!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12