Merckx 753 years? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

spacing to 130 mm

Well I can tell you this. I have read on this and other forums that 753 cannot be cold set to spread the rear triangle, but R&E Cycle in Seattle did mine with no ill affects. Also, I had a 78 Trek TX900 with 126 mm spacing and I did not cold set that frame, but it was really pretty easy to just spread the dropouts by hand when inserting the wheel. It might be a little harder with 753 but I would give it a try with a 130mm spaced rear wheel, any wheel just to see how it goes in.
    Quote Originally Posted by aptivaboy
    I would like to go modern, but the rear spacing is 125-126 mm, I believe, so I'm stuck with older drivetrain components. As for the 7-11 scheme, I've always thought that while the Merckx 7-11 paintwork was pretty, that the colors, especially the green, were too dark. I might go for a somewhat lighter red and green, more like the colors that Serotta used when he made the 7-11 team bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the tips, Martin, but I actually have a pair of unused 126mm Super Record hubs that have been sitting around forever, and I'm planning on using those. They spin so well that its a shame not to use them. Or, I'll grab a pair of older Mavic hubs from the Bay to keep it as much all-Mavic as possible. I may just be able to score a Mavic front derailleur later today...

EDIT: SCORE! Mavic 862 front derailleur for $40 including postage!
    Last edited by aptivaboy; 09-12-2010 at 12:06 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    That's great. So you will be able to go up to 8 spd I think with the 126 right? My 753 is 10 spd. 8 is good...
    Quote Originally Posted by aptivaboy
    Thanks for the tips, Martin, but I actually have a pair of unused 126mm Super Record hubs that have been sitting around forever, and I'm planning on using those. They spin so well that its a shame not to use them. Or, I'll grab a pair of older Mavic hubs from the Bay to keep it as much all-Mavic as possible. I may just be able to score a Mavic front derailleur later today...

EDIT: SCORE! Mavic 862 front derailleur for $40 including postage!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    7 for sure, and hopefully 8. In the end, it'll depend on which type of Mavic rear derailleur and shifters I can acquire, if any at all. They're getting rare and pricy on the Bay. We'll see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Eddy Merckx and Reynolds 753 is an exceptionally "mysterious" combination, the number of legends and superstitions (i.e. disinformation) on this subject is overpowering...
    Identification: there is no code for R753 tubes (similar to R653), only R531 has a code: R (can be found on Professional and Corsa).
    Frame elements: there are no unique elements specific to R753 (headed by the mythical no-seatstaycaps/no-logo). All elements used in R753 can be found in other EMC models.
    Finish: 99% of the early (1984-1989) R753 has no chrome plating on the tubes - unfortunately I found at least 2 exceptions; after 1989 chrome plating on R753 happens much more often...
    The only way to "detect" R753 is to weigh the frame - R753 frame will be lighter than any Columbus (lighter than SL by 200-250 grams, the rest are even heavier), a bit lighter than R531 (but this one has an "R") and a bit lighter than R653 (but almost all R653 have chrome plating and were built in 1988-1989). By the way: the legendary "Grand Prix" is only the name R753, which appeared on the occasion of appearance of the "Century" model built at the beginning from R653 tubes - when R653 disappeared from the offer (replaced in the "Century" model by TSX tubes) there was no need to maintain the name "Grand Prix". The R753 frame was called: Pro 753 (84-86), Corsa Extra 753 (86-88), Grand Prix (88-90) and again Corsa Extra 753 (91-94); all had "road racing" geometry (which is an old one, introduced in 1980). Contrary to appearances, Century R653 is much rarer than R753.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12