Merckx in half sizes (57.5 c-c etc.)
    RoadBikeReview Member

Merckx in half sizes (57.5 c-c etc.)

Two years ago I sold a Merckx that was 57.5 c-c. Looking at the Century geo chart it seemed to have a tt closer to that of a 58 c-c bike. When I remember selling them new in the 80s and early 90s they were all in 1 cm increments (55, 56, 57, etc.) But I have been seeing a bunch on eBay (mostly from Europe) with a 57.5 c-c or 59 c-t size. What is the story here? Thanks!

Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Miami Beach Green Frame and Fork in OK Condition | eBay

RoadBikeReview Member
    untitled (3).jpg

Didn't Merckx always do made-to-order frames as well back then? I remember reading articles about showing up at Eddy's doorstep and going back to the shop behind the house to get a custom frame. That being said, especially when you buy a Merckx from northern Europe on Ebay, the geometries are all over the place. I bought this MXL from a guy in the Netherlands. It has a 54 ST, 55.5 TT, 13.5 HT.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Yes my brother and I and two cousins went there. My brother and one cousin both measured up for made to order bikes.

I did not not. One of the biggest regrets of my life.

I was in awe of actually seeing him in person. Of course it's his factory but I never thought he would just be walking around meeting people. He said "How about you, do you want a bike too?" And like an idiot I said something like no, thanks anyway, I'm fine.

Super nice guy, much bigger than I expected, and had the coolest accent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fignon's Barber View Post
    untitled (3).jpg

Didn't Merckx always do made-to-order frames as well back then? I remember reading articles about showing up at Eddy's doorstep and going back to the shop behind the house to get a custom frame. That being said, especially when you buy a Merckx from northern Europe on Ebay, the geometries are all over the place. I bought this MXL from a guy in the Netherlands. It has a 54 ST, 55.5 TT, 13.5 HT.
    Yeah, seems like the Europe stuff is all over the place. But there seem to be enough 57.5s out there that it must have been part of some production run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Yes my brother and I and two cousins went there. My brother and one cousin both measured up for made to order bikes.

I did not not. One of the biggest regrets of my life.

I was in awe of actually seeing him in person. Of course it's his factory but I never thought he would just be walking around meeting people. He said "How about you, do you want a bike too?" And like an idiot I said something like no, thanks anyway, I'm fine.

Super nice guy, much bigger than I expected, and had the coolest accent.
    Got to stand near him for a while at Interbike in the early 90s. Living legend for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    The difference between the marking (digit) on BB cover and the actual length of seat tube (measured as c-c) appeared frequently and never exceeded 0.5cm; for example, the designation 2 on BB cover meant 52cm of seat tube length (c-c) but was "overestimated", because in reality, with a careful measurement, 51.5cm was obtained.