Merckx MX Leader
    Windrider (Stubborn)

More MXL pictures

I love the detail blue on the orange
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Windrider (Stubborn)

Merckx MX Leader

I had a Merckx MX leader in the early 90's that I sold when life forced me out of cycling for a few years. I always regretted it. When I read that Merckx was running out of the MXL tubing and that 2005 would be the last year for the frame and fork, I decided that, if I ever wanted one, I better act. The 2005 "Special Edition" is 100 frames in the Motorola colors. I wanted a size 58 in the original team issue Molitani Orange. I found out there are not many around. After an extensive search, I found one NOS, bought it, built it up and have put about 1,200 miles on it. I thought it was time for a ride review.

Fo those of you not familiar with the MXL, it has quite a history. Eddy rode it to wins in the GIRO, Tour and many spring classics. In addition, it was the bike Lance won his world Road championship on,

Tubing is heat treated and Multi shaped Colombus Nivacrom Crooly. Lugged throughout, even the lugs are shaped to acceppt the ovalized tubing.The Tube shaping is ovalized at the BB. The chain stays are massive. The frame is not light at 4.8 lbs and with the fork it is around 6 lbs. It is a tank and is way overbuilt.

Dimensions:
    ST 58
    TT 57.3
    SA 72.26
    Setback 17.5

It fits me like a glove. BTW, I'm 6'0" 155 lbs and ride about 4,500 miles per year. Don't race and I'm 50 YO.

The build:
    Gruppo: D/A 9 speed
    Seat Post: D/A
    Seat: Brooks Swallow
    Stem: Ritchey WCS 12 cm 84 degrees
    H/B's: Nitto STI M184, 10 Cm reach 42 wide
    Wheels: My own hand built OP's on D/A hubs 32 DB spokes 3 X front and Non Drive side 2X drive side
    Tires: Michelin Pro Race
    Cages: Nitto Stainless

The bike itself is 3 lbs heavier than my Ottrott. After I built it up, before I rode it, I was worried about this. After I rode it, I never thought about the weight again. This Frame Rocks! For me it is the perfect balance of responsiveness and comfort. The bike just eats up the road without damping road feel (steel fork). I've done a couple of 6 hour rides on this bike and it didn't beat me up at all.......which is a surprise when you see how stoutly it is built. And because of the shaped tubing and the massive chainstays, when you put a hard pedal input, the bike jumps. It just transfers the power. I took the bike to some hills up in PA, and the bike climbs well. It's not as good a climbing bike as some superlight bikes I've been on, but the difference in weight is not noticible at my ability. The efficiency of the bike is noticible on climbs and may be why the weight is not apparent. Again, this bike does everything well.....It's a great balance in performance.

All in all, I'm glad I got it. It is a keeper.

Len
    Last edited by Len J; 07-01-2005 at 08:29 AM.

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Windrider (Stubborn)

More MXL pictures

What a great bike

hairy-legged roadie
    Jan 2004

Sweet!

-touch the bike- TSSSSS. Hot bike man. Gotta love the detail paint and lug work. Must be an absolute pleasure to ride, and of course show off to the riding buddies.
    Carbon-based link in the tree of life. Got some more carbon-related wit?

Feb 2005

beautiful!

Mr. Merckx would be crazy to not consider building a newer steel frameset after these are all gone. (i know, marketing forces, sales are in alloy and carbon, blah blah blah) i just think there is still a market, in the USA at least, for merckx steel. was looking at an old photo the other day of steuy o'grady next to his pearl white gan team bike. that thing was gorgeous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Gotta love that Moltini Orange

I'm waiting for my Motorola edition. I may just hang it on the den wall and look at it. Yeah, right.

LenJ, because you are a respected member of this board I will overlook the fact that you sullied one of King Eddy's finest with that groupset made in Japan. I trust that it's just temporary and will be replaced with Vicenza jewelry soon. ;-)

Windrider (Stubborn)

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MerckxMad
    LenJ, because you are a respected member of this board I will overlook the fact that you sullied one of King Eddy's finest with that groupset made in Japan. I trust that it's just temporary and will be replaced with Vicenza jewelry soon. ;-)
    I put on the jewelry I had.

What can I say, Shimano fits my hands better.

When is your motorola coming in?

Len

lyleseven
    Nov 2002

I trust this worthy steed has its own room and isn't..

forced to stable in your entrance hall!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Fo those of you not familiar with the MXL, it has quite a history. Eddy rode it to wins in the GIRO, Tour and many spring classics.
    Eddy retired from racing long before there was a MXL. Great bike none the less.

Windrider (Stubborn)

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by lyleseven
    forced to stable in your entrance hall!!
    Both bikes are in the dining room. (With the other two up stairs in a bedroom and the "trainer bike" in the garage.

Of course my wife'sbike is in the kitchen (with her trainer bike upstairs in the loft in front of the TV).

Len

May 2005
    We have a local man who built a Molteni orange MXL up but won't ride it, citing that "it's just too heavy", it was at that point I knew he had no soul.

Len J, ever thought about doing the whole retro thing? Vintage Velos Molteni jersey, rapha leather groves, blacked out Sidi's?

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spider
    We have a local man who built a Molteni orange MXL up but won't ride it, citing that "it's just too heavy", it was at that point I knew he had no soul.

Len J, ever thought about doing the whole retro thing? Vintage Velos Molteni jersey, rapha leather groves, blacked out Sidi's?
    I'd offer to take that "Heavy"bike off his hands If it fit you.....LOL.

I'm not vintage.......I just love to ride. Although a riding bud bought me a Molitani jersey after I got the bike.

Len

Not Banned

I had a line on one fall through

now I'm in a Mad search for one. have a Team Alu and 84 Corsa, need a Molteni Orange MXL.anyone hears of one in 60 or 61please send me a PM
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering