My NEW 2004 Team SC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

My NEW 2004 Team SC

Circa 2002-5 I raced a Team SC. It was my favorite bike of all time, and I stupidly sold it when I retired from racing, thinking I needed a more comfortable bike. Fast forward to a month ago: I found this on EBay. It had been hanging out in a shop in Oklahoma City for 10 years and was brand new - never built. This morning was its maiden voyage - appropriately a personal hour time trial at full gas. It brought back such great memories of stable handling (first and foremost) and a feel for the road that is connected but filters out the high-frequency buzz. I decked the bike out with Dura Ace 9000 mechanical, added my favorite Thomson controls (that's an X4 MTB stem; I like my stems with 4 steel bolts. Post is zero setback to get my knees in the right position due to the slack 72.4 degree seat tube angle), and Pacenti SL23 wheels with White Industires T-11 hubs and CXRay 20-28 (best aluminum clinchers I've ever used). Finally, I tried to respect rule #8 option 2 with saddle and tape choice. This winter I'll think about which carbon tubulars to add to the mix. Anyway, under my arse it's as great a bike in 2014 as it was in 2004, and it's good to ride a Merckx that was built lovingly by Eddy and his crew of Belgian bike geeks before his retirement and the decline of that lineage of bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Very nice bike, and story.

My Team Sc Domo is one of my favourites, rides as well as anything I own, and I agree it is special that Eddy was supervising the factory when they were made.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Seat and bike are a perfect match.
    Maybe add a bit of white finishing tape at the centre of the bars and white plugs.
    Beauty of a bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Cinelli, I think adding a little white to the front would be a great finishing touch. It would mirror the white highlights in the saddle and frame. Thanks for suggesting that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I too have an SC - Domo 2002 model.

Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Eddy didn't make these frames.

I have an old magazine article that featured a tour of the factory from around that time. The frames were bought on from a builder in Italy (not named), in raw finish (there is a picture of a room full), and painted and assembled at Eddy's place.

Rather like what happened with the Ti bikes.

I will have to find it and post up some page copies. I never did find out who in Italy was building the SC frames.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wines of WA View Post
    Circa 2002-5 I raced a Team SC. It was my favorite bike of all time, and I stupidly sold it when I retired from racing, thinking I needed a more comfortable bike. Fast forward to a month ago: I found this on EBay. It had been hanging out in a shop in Oklahoma City for 10 years and was brand new - never built. This morning was its maiden voyage - appropriately a personal hour time trial at full gas. It brought back such great memories of stable handling (first and foremost) and a feel for the road that is connected but filters out the high-frequency buzz. I decked the bike out with Dura Ace 9000 mechanical, added my favorite Thomson controls (that's an X4 MTB stem; I like my stems with 4 steel bolts. Post is zero setback to get my knees in the right position due to the slack 72.4 degree seat tube angle), and Pacenti SL23 wheels with White Industires T-11 hubs and CXRay 20-28 (best aluminum clinchers I've ever used). Finally, I tried to respect rule #8 option 2 with saddle and tape choice. This winter I'll think about which carbon tubulars to add to the mix. Anyway, under my arse it's as great a bike in 2014 as it was in 2004, and it's good to ride a Merckx that was built lovingly by Eddy and his crew of Belgian bike geeks before his retirement and the decline of that lineage of bikes.

Beautiful bike, I'll look out for you on a dry day in the hills

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    The frames were bought on from a builder in Italy
    Some carbon and aluminum came from Oria in Italy. They were pretty open about it at the Merckx factory.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great bike, great story and nicely put together. Give it a go with white tape, red hoods and blue plugs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Cool, though I ride super early, usually in the 6AM-9AM window. I live near Marymoor Park and ride on dry weekends in the hills north of Rte 202, Cougar Mtn, Juanita, etc.

Disappointing to hear that they may have been welded in IT. I thought I'd seen an article in that era that narrated a factory tour and suggested they were made in BE. Oh well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    @Wines of WA, I'm considering an almost identical build with a Team SC instead of a modern carbon frame, could you tell me how much it weighs? all built up.
    Thanks
    Simon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    [QUOTE=simonind;4745582...could you tell me how much it weighs? all built up.[/QUOTE]

16.2 pounds as pictured, and I did not prioritize weight when choosing components so a weight weenie build could easily get down to 15.0 pounds or less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks, as I suspected there's little weight difference between it and a carbon frame. Excellent choice of components btw, I'm debating between Dura Ace, including C50 clinchers or a mixture of Campagnolo Record and Chorus with as yet undecided wheels. Unfortunately they'll probably be factory wheels as it's an insurance settlement so I have limited options on what I can buy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I had a 2000 Fuji Team Issue. the last year before they went all bonded seat stays. Turned out it was made in Teschners shop down under. Scandium frame with a Ouzo Pro just over 15 lb in a 58CM.

Wish I never sold it... But I got a few plastic bikes now I like too. But that Fuji was just dialed at the welder's hand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beautiful build, especially with the tape and saddle choice. Well done!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Brilliant bike, love it. Brings back memories of Pete Van Pet crushing foes at P-R and Flanders. Big fan of properly done aluminium.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Made a few changes to the bike. Switched from Aliante to Antares on all of my road bikes, and this one is an R3 carbon railed model. Offset that red/white on the saddle with a similar pattern on the tape and hoods. Finally, just added a new set of 2015 Bora One 50 clinchers. Yeah, I know, carbon clinchers have been a foolish financial and safety choice in the past, but these are very nice starting with incredible lateral stiffness and responsiveness. They feel a half cog faster on the flats too. And since this is Campy, I have confidence that the braking won't let me down. Still going to keep the Pacenti-White Industries wheels for wet weather (in addition to my rain bike). Finally, yes, I am mixing a Dura Ace drivetrain and Campy wheels because I like their function above worrying about ideological purity.

WP_20150426_001 (1024x577).jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Still looks better than ever.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wines of WA View Post
    Finally, yes, I am mixing a Dura Ace drivetrain and Campy wheels because I like their function above worrying about ideological purity.

WP_20150426_001 (1024x577).jpg
    Every bike needs something Campy on it. Consider it complete now.