Official gallery of your Eddy Merckx bike(s) - Page 2
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Shut up legs!
    Quote Originally Posted by kjmunc
    That's a rare find.....hope it didn't set you back too much!

Yeah very rare find. Last time I saw the bottles on ebay it was like 5 months ago and they went for $75 for two.

I won this one from a guy in France. I paid him US$25 cash including shipping. The guy received the cash one week after I mailed it to him, but took him another two weeks before he actually mailed it out. It was a chance I took as communication with the guy was very difficult; he doens't really like replying. I also sent him the cash with preparation that I won't get a bottle.. Luckily at the end I got it. It's dated 1991 and it stinks of plastic.. I currently trying to get rid of the smell with baking soda.

Toomanybikes: The merckx is a 58.. If that size fits you, I don't think I will have the opportunity to be thinking about the merckx tsx on ebay right now (as you claimed this morning).

toomanybikes
    Too bad about the size. I recognize a couple of those buildings out the window. If it was my size I figured on my next trip down, bring my binoccies and scope out the front wheels. By the time you get home from work your Merckx would have mysteriously "disappeared" ;) ;)

Of course there is at least an even chance that your bike would still be safe at home and I would be behind bars as someone would surely report the guy wandering around looking in condo windows with binoculars.

Hey - you gotta take chances to get a Merckx ( but only if it's the right size!)
    Last edited by toomanybikes; 11-08-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Shut up legs!
    Heheh.. I take comfort in the fact that I work at home then

Guess what, I took the plung with the 10th anniversary!! damn I am so excited!! yet a little nervous as I don't know if the frame is really as good as it looks in the pictures. Damn I can't wait to built it up and ride it as early as next weekend!!!
    Last edited by Kenacycle; 11-17-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Shut up legs!

10th Anniversary Eddy Merckx TSX

The new addition to the family.

Last edited by Kenacycle; 11-18-2006 at 04:00 PM.

Nov 2006
    thanx kdub, very usefull for me.

joris

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    my Mx-Leader
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

My new/old Caloi/Merckx MX Leader

Here is the latest addition to the stable. I've been looking for a nice, clean original Motorola Team MXL in my size for the last 5 years and just haven't had any luck finding one. When this popped up on eBay last week, I jumped all over it. It arrived today with enough daylight left to assemble the bike and take it for a 1.5 hour shakedown ride. It rides fantastic and does everything a MX Leader should do. I love it!

Cheers,

Texbike

Shut up legs!
    oh is this Gord Fraser's bike?? that is quick shipping! Congrats and it looks awesome! Great price you won it at too!!

If you need some spare Motorola team sticker drop me a message, I got some left
    Last edited by Kenacycle; 11-22-2006 at 07:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kdub
    oh is this Gord Fraser's bike?? that is quick shipping! Congrats and it looks awesome! Great price you won it at too!!

If you need some spare Motorola team sticker drop me a message, I got some left
    Thanks KDUB. It is Gord Fraser's bike. I'm still surprised that it went for as little as it did. It is very close to immaculate condition with only a few marks on the bike. Not bad for being 10-11 years old. The DA 8 speed stuff works great. There is one little creak that seems to be coming from the bar/stem. I'll grease them up this weekend to see if that takes care of it.

Other than that it is great. It is as smooth and responsive as you would expect a MXL to be.

Cheers,

Texbike

Shut up legs!
    Man, the bike is gorgeous! It looks to be in brand new condition and only for $1500!! wow And the $35 shipping for a full bike is amazingly low!.. I spent over 4 grand on my bike and yet it's still only a replica

That creaking sound you hear could be from the shifter cable where it goes into the cable stop. When you turn the handle bar pressure is put on the cable and it gives out a clicking or creaking sound. It would sound like it's from the stem/handle bar.. but it isn't. Just squeeze some grease into the cable/cable stop interface and that should remove the noise.

Thanks for sharing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Yes, the shipping was very reasonable. I was impressed with UPS. The seller shipped the bike ground from Colorado Springs and it arrived in Austin in less than 48 hours. Incredible!

Thanks for the tip on the creak. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

BTW, I LOVE your bike! It is gorgeous!!! It's tempting me to go 9 speed DA on my Telekom MXL.

Cheers,

Texbike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Awesome bargain! I was hoping that bike would find a good home and it's good to see it go to someone who really appreciates what they bought. Congrats and enjoy the ride!!

Windrider (Stubborn)

Here is my MX Leader.....

Nothing rides like an MXL!

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Not Banned

lemme

see if I got some pix. well here's my Team Alu with the whole clan. can't seem to find the Corsa pix
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    see if I got some pix. well here's my Team Alu with the whole clan. can't seem to find the Corsa pix

This one?
    Last edited by toomanybikes; 02-17-2010 at 09:48 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I finally got around to taking some photos of my 25th Anniversary MX Leader - #57 of 100. The build is nothing too exciting but everything works really great and the bike rides like a dream. It's definitely a "keeper".

The frame is 62cm c-c. It's got a full Ultegra 10 spped group except the derailleur, which is Dura-ace and the shifters, which are Campy Record 10 speed. I'm able to use the Campy shifters with the Shimano drivetrain by means of a JTEK Shiftmate. If anyone else is interested in doing this, I can't say enough good things about that little gizmo. The shifting is flawless. Also, if anyone is interested, the bike used to have an Ultegra 10 speed derailleur before I put the Dura-ace one on. I can't tell a lick of difference between the two.

The bars are Salsa Estrada deep drops at 46cm c-c.The stem is a Supergo (collectors item?) 120mm with -10 rise. The wheels are 32 hole Mavic CXP33 with straight 14 guage spokes and Ultegra 10 speed hubs. I need very robust wheels for my 230lbs. Pedals are Look PP396. The seat post is a Ritchey Logic polished aluminum. The seat is a Koobi AU Enduro, which is the most comfortable seat I have ever been on. If you are a bigger guy, I recommend trying this seat. I tried a number of seats including a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow and this seat blew them all away (for me).

Like I said above, this bike rides like a dream. Although it is not a lightweight (and it's really not all that heavy), it more than makes up for it with the ride. The bike just flies along rough roads without sending all the little bumps at the rider and iIt is extremely stable. At no time do you feel concerned taking on hand off the bars to get a drink. I'll be going 35mph plus without even realizing it because it is so smooth and stable with nary a hint of speed wobble.

Having said all that, there are some things I wish were different. The original MX Leaders had chrome on either one or both chainstays, and the dropouts. They also had quill stems. I definitely wish the 25th Anniversary models had the chrome and part of me wishes the fork was threaded so I could put on a quill stem. It doesn't look quite right to me with the black threadless stem, but those are small complaints when you consider how nice the bike looks and rides and how rare it is.

Shut up legs!
    fivethumbs. Thanks for sharing. I see you have bought some stickers from me

The best looking threadless stem in silver color without looking like a threadless stem is the Cinelli Grammo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yup, you made some very nice stickers. I'm debating whether to get the AA one from you. And Yes, I saw those Grammos on ebay. I almost pulled the trigger on one but I wasn't sure I had the fit dialed in quite yet. I want to be very sure because the Grammo doesn't have the removeable face plate and I don't want to remove the tape and shift levers more that once. Now that I am pretty sure of the size stem I want I haven't seen one in my size for a while. I orderd a polished aluminum 3TTT Mutant stem for 20 bucks. When it arrives up I'll see how it looks. I wonder if you can have the MX Leader fork threaded? If it can be done I might consider doing that.

Shut up legs!
    Yeah the threadless grammo is rather impossible to find online.. The only place to get them is on ebay. Ital-techno was the only vendor who was selling brand new ones for a while. I had bought two 120mm from them and to keep one as spare in case I never find them again.

If you decide to get the AA sticker I still have four pieces left.

I noticed you are using a black wing-nut for your rear drop out adjusting screws.. What happened to original ones that came with the MXL frame?
    Or did you changed the original ball nut to the wing-nut for easier adjustment? If so, and you happen to still have those ball nuts, I would like to buy them off you - if you are selling, or trade you with some AA stickers ?
    Last edited by Kenacycle; 12-04-2006 at 05:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The online bike retailer I bought the frame from forgot to either screw the dropout screws all the way in or remove them altogether before shipping. When I opened the box one was bent and the other was snapped off. I had these in my spare parts box. They are Campagnolo screws. If you need some of the other kind you can get them here:

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=872778320583

Also, what we need is a place to get blue brake/shift cables.
    Last edited by Fivethumbs; 12-04-2006 at 09:31 PM.

Shut up legs!
    When I got my frame, the screws were in a plastic bag along with the BB cable guide/screw, stickers and warranty card. They shouldn't be on the bike already.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agreed!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Len and FiveThumbs,

Those are two beautiful MXLs! I'm sure that they get compliments whenever you have them out.

Very nice!

Texbike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks!. Your Telekom is my favorite. You would think I would get compliments but I really haven't. In fact I dropped of my frame at my LBS to have the bottom bracet faced and when I went to pick it up the next day the owner said, "Oh, you're the guy with the red bike right?" I was thinking, "You mean the Merckx MX Leader in vintage Motorola Colors?!" I guess cuz I didn't by a Trek I was dead to them.

Shut up legs!
    Not everyone appreciate class bikes, especially the newer generation cyclists. But this is good in a way, cuz then potential thief will rather steal the newer bikes than my classic steel bike.

At my LBS, they were more appreciative of my MXL. In fact the co-owner has an original Motorola team bike that was even raced in the Paris Roubaix!
    Last edited by Kenacycle; 12-13-2006 at 12:56 AM.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast