Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Official gallery of your Eddy Merckx bike(s)

361K views 610 replies 174 participants last post by  hfc 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems every brand specific section has a thread where everyone post a pic of their bikes except this one. So I will start one up here. Let me begin with mine

#2 ·
1994 Telekom MX Leader

Here is my 1994 MX Leader with Telekom Team paint. I've recently finished the build and have about 150 miles on it and absolutely love it! It is super smooth and responsive. It's built with a collection of NOS and "like new" Ultegra 600 components, an 8 speed drivetrain, and DA/Open Pro wheels.

The frame itself was NOS, having sat in the Merckx factory until last year. Interestingly it has a custom geo (56X58) and a number plate hanger on the bottom of the top tube. Could this be an old Telekom Team bike?

The bike built out to 21 lbs as shown with Look pedals and a bottle cage. I'm very happy with it.

Cheers,

Texbike

#3 ·
Corsa 01

Not the best photo of my Corsa 01, but it's all I've got right now. I've since put black bar tape on and it looks better. Also have black Tackx Tao cages. This color scheme is a little wilder than I preferred but the frame was the only new one I could find in my size (57) when I was shopping around a couple of years ago. I've come to like the paint job, and it looks best if all of the other components (tires, tape, saddle, etc.) are kept simple black. Put new black Open Pro wheels on it last fall and I couldn't believe how much better it looked.

I've also got an ti Merckx AX model in the same size.

#4 ·
Here's my sled collection, Cyclocross bike, old Corsa and a fairly new (one season) MX leader. All are in use year road, the old Corsa is hauling a baby carrier until the lousy weather starts, the it's a winter training bike, once my collarbone heals, I'll be cross racing right through to nationals on the grey bike. I love them all very much, the leader was my race bike this year, I didn't even bother riding the light one, including crits.

#7 ·
Heh RaiderHater:

How does that Race Frame ride? I am contemplating buying that exact same frameset from Gita. I currently have a Merckx Corsa circa 1983 that rides like butter and afraid that the Race even with Carbon seatsstays and fork is going to be teeth rattling. How you like it and is that a sloping frame????

#8 ·
ShortNFast

I am by no means an expert as I have only had my Japanese steel bike and this Merckx in my 20yrs of riding. I also have to admit that my budget would not allow for the higher end Merckx frames. That said I think it rides great. The carbon may have some dampening effects, but the bike is just so light and fast which makes it really fun to ride. I have a Thomson stem/Easton alu combo up front which I really like. It is a sloping frame and it took 3 stem changes to get it dialed in but I do have less saddle and wrist fatigue with this bike. Could be that it is set up better than my other bike, or better geometry and frame.

Dennis

#9 ·
Hello Raider Hater again....

Raider Hater:

Thanks for the reply. Would be interested in a little feedback on the sloping geometry. Looked originally at a traditional 50 CM. I am small at 5'6" with a inseam at 30" and the top tube on it kind of scares me as it is 53.3 which really stretches me out. The sloping model goes as low as 42 with a top tube of 51 which probably would be better for me. What your height etc and what sloping size did you go with. It is just hard for me to equate the sloping geometry to the traditional and just trying to get an idea what may work best for me...

Thanks...

#16 ·
EM3 -- And I regret not buying your Team Hitachi Merckx. We exchanged emails a while back, but at the time I thought it would be too big for me. I was looking for a 56, which I never found, and ended up buying a 57 Corsa 01 after all. As it turns out, the size 57 fits me better than a 56 would have. Oh well ...

#17 ·
Here is my work in progress. It is a Merckx Titanium Ax. I need to get a italian threaded BB to complete it, but I wanted to post some mock ups as is. Also note the welds and super clean BB. I bought the frameset used, but it is in great shape.

#22 ·
kdub said:
You're a brave man to put your kitty's scratch post next to your bike collection. I'd be worried about my cat mistaking the two. But then again, my cat ain't so bright.

Is that a fire extinguisher pictured behind the bikes? If so, is it to ward off the cats or in preparation for your Merckx spontaneously combusting?

Thanks for the pics!
:thumbsup:

#25 ·
Paris_Metro said:
You're a brave man to put your kitty's scratch post next to your bike collection. I'd be worried about my cat mistaking the two. But then again, my cat ain't so bright.

Is that a fire extinguisher pictured behind the bikes? If so, is it to ward off the cats or in preparation for your Merckx spontaneously combusting?

Thanks for the pics!
:thumbsup:
My cat is a floor cat and isn't really interested in jumping up on things.
It's not a fire extinguisher behind the bikes, it's a floor pump in red color.
:)

#26 ·
kjmunc said:
That's a rare find.....hope it didn't set you back too much!

Yeah very rare find. Last time I saw the bottles on ebay it was like 5 months ago and they went for $75 for two.

I won this one from a guy in France. I paid him US$25 cash including shipping. The guy received the cash one week after I mailed it to him, but took him another two weeks before he actually mailed it out. It was a chance I took as communication with the guy was very difficult; he doens't really like replying. I also sent him the cash with preparation that I won't get a bottle.. Luckily at the end I got it. It's dated 1991 and it stinks of plastic.. I currently trying to get rid of the smell with baking soda.

Toomanybikes: The merckx is a 58.. If that size fits you, I don't think I will have the opportunity to be thinking about the merckx tsx on ebay right now (as you claimed this morning).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.