Small Eddy Merckx MXL and Corsa 0.1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jan 2008
    Both very sweet . I'm alone in not being a lover of chrome forks . Both are killer either way

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marz
    Finished the Rashid's small MX Leader just a minute ago and deceide to go with the red tape after all. Officially I'm still waiting for the Centaur BB for Centaur cranks but was told Chorus 111mm will work so I'm waiting for that to arrive. Just can't wait to ride it so I've decided to sideline the De Rosa for awile and am using its Chorus crank and BB.

Tape is Fizik Microtex which is not the easiest to wrap
    Cinelli Italian bend bars
    Cinelli XE stem
    Centaur (crankset eventually) groupset including seatpost
    Regal (what else) saddle
    Elite Inox cages
    Mavic OP with 2007 Centaur hubs. I'll try my Protons later.

It feel quite heavy but that's what I expected. Ride report when it stops raining outside.
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and of course the ringmaster Innergel most of all. I never dreamed I'd find one in my size, let alone at a reasonable price. I can barely believe it.
    Looks absolutely fetching, overall frame performance will outweigh frame weight inmho.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    very nice Marz!!
    enjoy your new ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    The tyres are 23c Rubino Pros on the OPs and 23c Open Evo Corsa on the Protons. Hadn't thought about using 25c width except on the old steel rain bike. There seems to be enough room to use 25c on the MXL, so definately good idea when the current tyres wear out.
    Most of the roads where I am are cracked and potholed so 25c (or even 28c) tires are a welcome addition to a bike. My thought would be that the larger tires would would soften the ride on a small MXL if needed. A stout steel frame and fork on compliant tires would be nice for my area. Hence my ongoing interest in a small MXL.

singlecross
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ... somehow, I donít know how, I want to influence a trend toward just riding... just riding like kids ride, but as adults. - Grant Petersen

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Finished Rashid's small 52cm MX Leader just a minute ago and decided to go with the red tape after all. Officially I'm still waiting for the Centaur BB for Centaur cranks but was told Chorus 111mm will work so I'm waiting for that to arrive. Just can't wait to ride it so I've chosen to sideline the De Rosa for awhile and am using its Chorus crank and BB.

Tape is Fizik Microtex which is not the easiest to wrap
    Cinelli Italian bend bars
    Cinelli XE stem
    Centaur (crankset eventually) groupset including seatpost
    Regal (what else) saddle
    Elite Inox cages
    Mavic OP with 2007 Centaur hubs. I'll try my Protons later.

It feel quite heavy but that's what I expected. Ride report when it stops raining outside.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and of course the ringmaster Innergel most of all. I never dreamed I'd find one in my size, let alone at a reasonable price. I can barely believe it.
    U done great!!

b21

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Thanks all. You are too kind.

I really appreciate the guidance and support on this forum. I've seen some great bikes here and it's really helped with my choice for components and finish for the build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Well it looks like I will be stripping the MX Leader and transferring the components to the Corsa 0.1. I found the MXL a bit stiff, my perception of course, so I want to see how the Corsa rides.

First problem is that one of the rear dropouts on the Corsa won't let the wheel be fitted. On closer inspection it looks like it's narrower at the entrance to the dropout but opens up after. Could it have been bent, it looks like a strong casting.

Should I file it a bit or get the shop to prise it open a tad? Has anyone had this problem before?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Well it looks like I will be stripping the MX Leader and transferring the components to the Corsa 0.1. I found the MXL a bit stiff, my perception of course, so I want to see how the Corsa rides.

First problem is that one of the rear dropouts on the Corsa won't let the wheel be fitted. On closer inspection it looks like it's narrower at the entrance to the dropout but opens up after. Could it have been bent, it looks like a strong casting.

Should I file it a bit or get the shop to prise it open a tad? Has anyone had this problem before?
    I had that issue with an older De Rosa that I purchased. My Master Mechanic (Zmudshark) filed it down a bit and its fine. Of course you should make sure it's not out of whack, but it shouldn't take much filing.....

b21

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1021
    I had that issue with an older De Rosa that I purchased. My Master Mechanic (Zmudshark) filed it down a bit and its fine. Of course you should make sure it's not out of whack, but it shouldn't take much filing.....

b21
    Same issue with my rainbow coloured Corsa Extra.

Too much chrome built up in the dropout face.

I put a small grinding wheel in the Dremel. That solved it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I prised it open a bit as it looked as if it had closed up a bit. I've taken the bike for a short ride and it seems to ride well and the rear changes work smoothly. I hope that nothing untowards had been done to that frame.

BTW the threaded steerer was too long so I have spacers installed as the shop didn't have the tool to clean the thread if they cut it. Only temporary until I find another shop. But I don't care right now as I was impatient to build it up. Funny though because the size of the frame, 52, was stamped on it. So maybe not Rashid's fault.

Pictures soon as I think it's the most beautiful thing I've seen in a long time even with the red tape as the bars and levers went on straight from the MXL. I'm a bit of a tight arse so I'll wait for the Fizik microtex tape to wear out before white one goes on. I have to watch my pennies at the moment as things are tight here in Oz too.

Thanks again barry and tmb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I prised it open a bit as it looked as if it had closed up a bit. I've taken the bike for a short ride and it seems to ride well and the rear changes work smoothly. I hope that nothing untowards had been done to that frame.

BTW the threaded steerer was too long so I have spacers installed as the shop didn't have the tool to clean the thread if they cut it. Only temporary until I find another shop. But I don't care right now as I was impatient to build it up. Funny though because the size of the frame, 52, was stamped on it. So maybe not Rashid's fault.

Pictures soon as I think it's the most beautiful thing I've seen in a long time even with the red tape as the bars and levers went on straight from the MXL. I'm a bit of a tight arse so I'll wait for the Fizik microtex tape to wear out before white one goes on. I have to watch my pennies at the moment as things are tight here in Oz too.

Thanks again barry and tmb.
    Does the fork have a stamp on it?? I am betting if you can find one it doesnt say 52. Hence the issue. As my wife says tho, better to be too long than too short...(oh wait, never mind).
    I used to cut a lot of threads in another lifetime as a commercial HVAC mechanic, and I am not sure what tool they need to clean the threads but I have never threaded a fork....

b21

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1021
    Does the fork have a stamp on it?? I am betting if you can find one it doesnt say 52. Hence the issue. As my wife says tho, better to be too long than too short...(oh wait, never mind).
    I used to cut a lot of threads in another lifetime as a commercial HVAC mechanic, and I am not sure what tool they need to clean the threads but I have never threaded a fork....

b21
    I have.

I can't remember what size die I used.

I took the fork over to a friend's place. Heavy duty mechanic.

We just tried a number that looked close and when we found the right one I brought it home, put the fork in a well padded vise, made a cup of coffee and got to work.

Slow process, lots of oil, 1/4 turn down, 1/2 turn back, repeat as required.

Took a while but worked well.

dropped!
    Pictures soon as I think it's the most beautiful thing I've seen in a long time even with the red tape as the bars and levers went on straight from the MXL.

this thread is useless without pictures!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Here's the Corsa 01 after I returned from a windy 80km ride. I need to upgrade the tyres. Maybe Conti 4000, 25s?

Transferred the BB cable guide from MX Leader and discovered it's not quite right. Thanks Rashid.

Can anyone recommend a better one so that I don't gouge the paintwork?
    Attached Images Attached Images

toomanybikes
    Here's the Corsa 01 after I returned from a windy 80km ride. I need to upgrade the tyres. Maybe Conti 4000, 25s?

Transferred the BB cable guide from MX Leader and discovered it's not quite right. Thanks Rashid.

That is lovely.

Congratulations.

1 thought, back in the day there used to be "sleeve" that was fit over the derailleur cables as they passed under the BB.

Prevented paint rub.

Might be worth seeing if you can lay your hands on some of that.

RoadBikeReview Member

cable guide

I use a Shimano cable guide for both my MX Leaders and my Corsa 01. I have also used the Campagnolo steel cable guide on my Corsa 01. But for some reason it would not work on the MX Leaders. Your best bet is to try and track down a Shimano guide. I believe they came with my frames when i purchased them through GITA. Love the Machines. Personally the MX Leader is the sweetest one you got. Digs

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Thank you again. It's an embarrassment of riches owning two Merckx bikes, couldn't imagine what it's like for TMB with all his gorgeous Merckx and De Rosa.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Marz, just had a look at my Corsa,

turn the plastic carrier round 180 degrees, fixes the prob.

And you say you took that carrier off your MXL? Rashid sent me the same one with the MXL and it definitely doesn't fit my MXL, had to go for a shimano thin one, to fit around the giant chainstays.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ace70; 11-02-2008 at 05:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Corsa 0.1 looks very tasty indeed! Nice job!

Perhaps this is heretical, but I don't think the red tape looks bad. Sure, white will look awesome, but I like the red too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the compliments guys. But i feel unworthy. As ace70 pointed out, I screwed the cable guide in the wrong way so it's actually ok. Thing is I only worked it after buying the shimano guide. Oh well the MX leader needs one. But I do feel verrrry foolish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ace70
    Marz, just had a look at my Corsa,

turn the plastic carrier round 180 degrees, fixes the prob.

And you say you took that carrier off your MXL? Rashid sent me the same one with the MXL and it definitely doesn't fit my MXL, had to go for a shimano thin one, to fit around the giant chainstays.
    bingo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I just now happened upon these posts.

I have a 1996 Corsa 0.1 in the vlaanderen color scheme and I have been running Benotto tape that is tri-colored - black, yellow and red (Belgium National)! I think you can still find some on ebay. Someone in Mexico must be sitting on cases of it. Not "cushy" tape by any means but very cool.
    Last edited by rdunnenb; 08-08-2009 at 04:44 AM.

Mar 2009
    Hot, top to bottom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12