Why so few newer Merckx on the road? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I am from Singapore and faced the same issue regarding getting a Merckx frame over the years. I started with the Corsa Extra SLX New - Gan 14 years ago then switched to alloy frames which then was not too difficult to get, given Eddy's bike status in the 90s.

However, since I switched to getting the AXM in the carbon EM era, the marketing in my place went straight through the window until recently, when a small batch of EMX-3 and 5 appeared on our shores. Until that, basically there is no real interest in the brand nor knowledge about its heritage with the newer generation...

Frankly, the general cycling public who picked up the sport, especially in the Lance era has not cluedo who the heck is The Cannibal... which also leaves me to get another frame from China and move on.

96-00: Corsa Extra SLX New - GAN Team
    00-02: 20th Anniversary Alu Team
    02-06: Fuga (Domo White)
    06-Now: AXM Blue
    09-Now: Team SC Chrono (Domo White)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I have talked to a few guys (Cat 1 racers) who have been on Merckx CF frames - general feeling was that they are not climbing frames - sounded like Geometry & weight were not ideal for climbers. One sprinter who had an AXM thought frame was stiff but not particularly fast and felt kind of dead. My feeling is that Eddy lost his passion for bikes some years ago and was just going through the motions - this has been apparent over past few years given lack of innovation in the range or pro team sponsorship and verified by the fact that he sold the company.

In actual fact it was DeRosa who helped eddy set up his bike manufacturing business and recently it is Pinarello who has designed and built the new models in Taiwan - the only model of note between the early DeRosa inspired frames and the late far east Pina copies was the Scandium frame.
    A writer cannot serve today those who make history, he must serve those who are subject to it - history's victims ..... Albert Camus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    The Cannibal is back !!!
    I am really enjoying this recently discovered thread.
    Yes, indeed we have a lot to make up for, especially towards the Merckx addicts/fanatics.
    Give us some time and we will be there, stronger than before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Jan welcome!

My EMX-5 frame should be making its way to my bike shop even now...
    Super excited since I had my heart set on it since the day it was unveiled.
    My wife said to me recently, "Why don't you get your dream bike..."
    I thought about it for a second... and replied, "I am."

Love watching the Belgian teams on the new Merckx frames!

What's the story with the paint jobs: I have seen some with the "Eddy Merckx" on the seat-tube sandwiched between EMX-5 logos (which are centered vertically) and some without the "Eddy Merckx" text and the EMX-5 logos are higher up on the tube. I'm not sure which variation I will receive. Does it depend on frame size perhaps?

Anyway, big hello and welcome.
    Callum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Thank you Callum.

I think every time a Merckx addict is waiting for his delivery I am as excited ;-)
    Regarding graphic design, EMX5 in the 2 colors provide same decal positioning.
    Let me know how the ride goes.

Thanks and beat the road !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12