pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Annual who is going to the Seagull Century thread

The weather is looking fantastic for a change.

Yeah, its flat, crowded, kinda boring and full of chicken poo, but its the first century I ever did and I keep doing it every year. This will be #27 in a row (although I did not do it in 2015 when they cancelled it due to a hurricane).

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Don't all jump in at once!

We (my wife and I) did the ride on the 6-th. It was a mostly overcast, but warmish day. We've gotten lucky with the weather on this ride lately. Averaged around 17 mph. Finished strong and felt pretty good.

This year they did something interesting that improved the quality of the ride a lot. Usually the first 10-15 miles are kind of dangerous. There's a lot of folks on the road of vastly different skills and abilities. Mix that in with groups who are shooting for PR's riding 30 mph in pace lines. Except they can't go that fast all the time due to the volume of riders, so they speed up and then suddenly slow down. I always see some kind of crash in the first hour. This year the flyer for the ride said that people who want to ride fast, or in pace lines should leave between 7:00 and 7:45. Everyone else 7:45 to 8:45. We left at 8:15. I didn't get buzzed by a single pace line, or see any crashes. Apparently the "fast" crowd took that to heart. It really improved the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    I have not done it in 5 years... last ride I did.. had 40mph sustained winds... sadly.. it was on the return trip against the wind... sucked royally.. Also first time I rode with new shorts I had only washed, never worn... never do a century with unbroken in shorts..... I would do it again.. just busy with work and travel..

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    I have not done it in 5 years... last ride I did.. had 40mph sustained winds... sadly.. it was on the return trip against the wind... sucked royally.. Also first time I rode with new shorts I had only washed, never worn... never do a century with unbroken in shorts..... I would do it again.. just busy with work and travel..
    Looking over my pile of numbers from the ride, that must have been 2012. I've kept every jersey number. I write stuff on the back of them detailing the ride. It's kind of fun going back through them every year.

They only had one 100 mile route this year. In the past they've had two. The Snow Hill route was better when the wind was from the west.