Schuylkill, Perkiomen Trail conditions - rider reports - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    Only thing that I think is still going on is the work on the bridge from Betzwood into the Park proper. Last I tried that it was under construction but that was in April so it was closed.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I'm new to this forum and I'm happy to see a thread for the SRT. The sections I'm riding right now are the Pottstown to Reading, but I'm looking at upgrading from a single speed to a road bike and gonna begin making the trips from Pottstown to Valley Forge. Just have to find the way around Pottstown to catch up to Collegeville to take the trail from there to Valley Forge and Conshy, but that is when I finally make a decision on a road bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    What you need to do is Follow the SRT signs to the closed Keim St. Bridge (basically High St. to Madison, Madison to Cross, Cross to Keim St. Down Keim st to Industrial Hwy.)

Cheat and cross to the 724 side from the Boro side. Please note I said cheat. There are even barriers blocking the sidewalks you need to step over so you are taking your chances both with the safety of the bridge and a police officer citing you. The safe thing would be to cross the South Hanover St bridge right there by the River Front park pavilion and Schuylkill River Heritage Bldg parking lot.

You can then plot out a course from there to 724 and Bethel Church Rd which is by the trail head in Parkerford. 724 has a decent shoulder but if that wierds you out you can hop onto Old Schuylkill Rd just after the 422/724 interchange and Vaughn Rd. This runs largely parallel to New Schuylkill Rd/724. Hop on the trail there and that should take you to Pheonixville.

Eventually the path will be punched all the way through. The current plan is to have a path bridge put in when they redo the 422/724 interchange. Some people though are suggesting a slight change in the path's course and using the rebuilding of the Keim St. bridge since that seems to be on a faster track than the 422 project.
    Last edited by badge118; 06-19-2012 at 01:16 AM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Thank you badge that is extremely helpful. I'm gonna have to make this ride real soon some nice Saturday morning.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Has anybody been out since last night's storm?

I'm heading out from Conshy to Audubon loop this afternoon.

Thanks.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Follow up to my last post:

At 4:30 this afternoon, I went from Conshohocken to Pawlings Road trail head.

There were a few small puddles here and there, but no major mud slicks and no branches down.

I didn't have time to go through Perk and the Audubon loop. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Did conshy to audubon last night.

A fairly long dried silt patch is just west of the steel mill. Otherwise, A-OK.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Did a cross/road ride, yesterday, from Ambler up Morris Rd and Rt 73 to Plank Rd near Schwenksville. Got on the Perky trail then SRT and rode to The Wiss Trail then NW Ave to Stenton to Wiss Trail again through FWSP, Rt 73 to Sheaff to Morris and back to Ambler. Perky trail and SRT in great shape. The new section of the SRT near Shawmont is all paved but still closed but people are riding it anyway.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougr411 View Post
    Did a cross/road ride, yesterday, from Ambler up Morris Rd and Rt 73 to Plank Rd near Schwenksville. Got on the Perky trail then SRT and rode to The Wiss Trail then NW Ave to Stenton to Wiss Trail again through FWSP, Rt 73 to Sheaff to Morris and back to Ambler. Perky trail and SRT in great shape. The new section of the SRT near Shawmont is all paved but still closed but people are riding it anyway.
    Sounds like a nice long ride. How many miles is that?

If I had a cross bike, I'd ride that loop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    SPIKE, total mileage was a little over 60 miles with about 2100' of climbing, so its a nice rolly polly ride. The first 20 miles or so are mostly on road but I did squeeze in a bit of the Green Ribbon Trail near Ambler, which is mostly single track. The last 20 miles is on Forbidden drive (gravel) and then a few road link ups to the Green Ribbon (paved and gravel) in Ft. Washington State Park then more road back into Ambler.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi, does anyone know of other trails similar to the Schuylkill,Betzwood trail system in the same general area? Starting to get a bit boring and want to try some new paved trails. Thanks
    :-P

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    There is a series over in the Skippack area, but they require some road hopping as well. Here is a link that gives ya the system..

http://trails.montcopa.org/trails/site/default.asp

Theodore Roosevelt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the response. I'm good with some road jumps, just like to have some non-traffic and need to be paved roads.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ipaul; 09-01-2012 at 04:16 AM.
    :-P

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Hi SRT riders.

Here's a description of the construction that's underway in Norristown.

I highlighted the SRT info below.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 9, 2013

Groundbreaking Marks Beginning Of Lafayette Street Corridor Construction

Norristown, PA (September 9, 2013) – The long-awaited and much-anticipated Lafayette Street
    corridor extension linking Norristown and Plymouth Township officially got underway Monday when
    elected officials and civic and business leaders got together for a groundbreaking at Lafayette Street’s
    current eastern terminus at Ford Street in Norristown.

Lafayette Street will be extended six-tenths of a mile to connect to Conshohocken Road in Plymouth
    Township near the intersection with Diamond Street. The Lafayette Street extension will feature two
    lanes in each direction and a landscaped 12-foot median. This first-phase of a long-term, three-phase
    project will cost $11.5 million and will take about 15 months, according to officials.

“This project is critical to both Plymouth and Norristown,” said Josh Shapiro, chairman of the
    Montgomery County Commissioners. “It will improve access to both municipalities, increase traffic
    flow and reduce congestion on Ridge Pike and Main Street and will encourage development of
    Norristown’s downtown and its under-utilized riverfront area.”

The project is being funded by 80 percent federal funds and 20 percent county funds. The general
    contractor is Allan A. Myers, Inc. of Worcester. Construction actually began in August with utility work
    around the Ross Road area where a new bridge has to be constructed.

The Lafayette Street extension has been in the planning stages since 2000 when the first federal funds
    were secured. “The fact that this project is now underway is a testament to its importance. While many
    long-term projects die on the vine, this one has stood the test of time and is coming to fruition,” said
    Montgomery County Commissioner Leslie Richards.

“This project will mean a great deal to Norristown and Plymouth and in large part is a result of hard
    work and commitment by officials of both Norristown and Plymouth, a series of county
    administrations and strong federal support,” Richards said.

During the course of the construction, the Schuylkill River Trail, which parallels the extension, will be
    relocated and rebuilt.

Future phases of the Lafayette Street project will extend into 2017. Those phases will close the current
    connection of Conshohocken Road with Ridge Pike; widen Diamond Avenue and create a new
    intersection with Ridge Pike at Diamond; widen Ridge Pike from the Pennsylvania Turnpike bridge to
    the Norristown-Plymouth border at Ross Street; and widen the existing Lafayette Street from
    Barbadoes Street to Ford Street.
    Source: http://www.montcopa.org/ArchiveCente...File/Item/1470

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    The authoritative information source for the Lafayette Street project is here:

Montgomery County, PA - Official Website - Lafayette Street Extension Project

This link from the page above takes you to a rendering of how the SRT will be reconfigured:

http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/2992

This link from the page above is a map of the whole project:

http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/5531

The area (not the SRT) is already torn up pretty good just west of the sewage treatment plant. Most of the vegetation has been bulldozed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Sort of unrelated but I was in the DC area last week and found a trail system similar to the SRT called the W & OD Trail (Washington and Old Dominion) that runs from Arlington VA to Purcellville (about 75 miles I think). It's a rail trail that's been paved. If you're in the area and looking for nice ride, away from traffic, its definitely the ticket. Looks to be a few trails that a rider can link up to for more distance, as well.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougr411 View Post
    Sort of unrelated but I was in the DC area last week and found a trail system similar to the SRT called the W & OD Trail (Washington and Old Dominion) that runs from Arlington VA to Purcellville (about 75 miles I think). It's a rail trail that's been paved. If you're in the area and looking for nice ride, away from traffic, its definitely the ticket. Looks to be a few trails that a rider can link up to for more distance, as well.
    That looks like a nice trail. I found a map of it here:

Map of the W&OD Trail

Next time I'm in Arlington visiting relatives, I think I'll bring my bike and take off for about 3 or 4 hours.

Thanks for the info.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    From Bicycle Coalition:

Greater Philadelphia Bicycle News: MontCo to Close Segment of Schuylkill River Trail in Norristown

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

MontCo to Close Segment of Schuylkill River Trail in Norristown

A half mile of the Schuylkill River Trail in Norristown will be closed for two or three months beginning next week. We received a press release (see below) announcing the closure, which is due to the Lafayette Street extension construction project. The closure runs from Ford Street to Ross Street in Norristown.

The red line is the section of SRT that will be closed starting January 27th.

Montgomery County officials told us that liability concerns are preventing them from establishing a detour route. This is disappointing, and we provided them with the following recommendations:

1) Install "Bicycles May Use Full Lane" signs on Main Street, to make motorists aware of bicyclists using the road.
    2) Put a map of of the closure and adjoining roads on the signs that will be posted at both ends of the closure to allow bicyclists to know where they can get back on the trail.
    3) Place a phone number or email address on the sign for bicyclists and pedestrians to report incidents.

Thus far, we have not heard yet if and how Montgomery County will agree to our recommendations. In the meantime, you can post comments on our Biking the Suburbs Facebook group page.
    The original news release from montgomery county:
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 21, 2014

Short segment of Schuylkill River Trail to close temporarily on January 27

Norristown, PA (January 21, 2013) – A half-mile segment of the Schuylkill River Trail will be closed temporarily to all traffic beginning on January 27. The closure is expected to last until spring.

The closure of the trail from Ford Street to Ross Street in Norristown is due to necessary construction that needs to be done as part of the Lafayette Street extension project. The trail had temporarily been relocated after construction began last year, but the scope of the work no longer makes keeping that open feasible or safe.

The closure of the trail will expedite the construction in that area and allow the permanent trail to be re-opened as soon as possible.

For updates on the trail closure, and for updates on the Lafayette Street project, please go to these web links:

Trail Alerts: Montgomery County, PA - Official Website - Trail Alerts

Lafayette Street Extension Project: Montgomery County, PA - Official Website - Lafayette Street Extension Project
    Could be messy, SRT fans.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Bored out of my gourd with indoor workouts, thinking of breaking out my mountain bike for a ride out SRT tomorrow, Sunday Feb 9, 2014, from conshy to valley forge.

Any rider reports about snow on the trail and general trail conditions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

soulfly
    They do not do any winter trail maint. so we have to wait for mother nature to clear the trail.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by road addict View Post
    They do not do any winter trail maint. so we have to wait for mother nature to clear the trail.
    Thanks.

This is starting to seem like the longest winter in history.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002

Re: Schuylkill, Perkiomen Trail conditions - rider reports

Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Thanks.

This is starting to seem like the longest winter in history.
    Do what a couple of friends of mine did...get a Fatty :-). Me I am just getting cross country skis. Cheaper than a 4th bike.

Theodore Roosevelt

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by badge118 View Post
    Do what a couple of friends of mine did...get a Fatty :-). Me I am just getting cross country skis. Cheaper than a 4th bike.
    Heh. Not sure which kind of 'fatty' you're talking about.

I usually go downhill skiing a few times a season. This year, I haven't made out once. Maybe I should get some x-country skis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Aaaaaaand it's snowing again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002

Re: Schuylkill, Perkiomen Trail conditions - rider reports

Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Heh. Not sure which kind of 'fatty' you're talking about.

I usually go downhill skiing a few times a season. This year, I haven't made out once. Maybe I should get some x-country skis.
    The fatty.... http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pugsley

A friend of mine was X-country skiing the other day and was passed by one of the trail lol.

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast