Schuylkill, Perkiomen Trail conditions - rider reports - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002

Re: Schuylkill, Perkiomen Trail conditions - rider reports

Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Aaaaaaand it's snowing again.
    And we have a nor'easter incoming on Wed into Thurs.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    There is also a fatty by Framed Bikes. They are about $900. They look like fun! could be after my new road bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002

Re: Schuylkill, Perkiomen Trail conditions - rider reports

Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    There is also a fatty by Framed Bikes. They are about $900. They look like fun! could be after my new road bike.
    Kona apparently has one now too...just saw one @ EMS in Collegeville.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by badge118 View Post
    The fatty.... Pugsley | Bikes | Surly Bikes

A friend of mine was X-country skiing the other day and was passed by one of the trail lol.
    That looks like it would be fun to take down the side of a mountain at a ski area in the summer.

soulfly
    I took my mountain bike out today from Conshohocken and headed west. The trail is still ice covered in sections but can be ridden.I have been riding my road bike in valley forge park and the chester county trail both have been plowed and salted thru the winter. It sucks Montgomery county claims they can't afford to maintain the trail thru the winter.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by road addict View Post
    I took my mountain bike out today from Conshohocken and headed west. The trail is still ice covered in sections but can be ridden.I have been riding my road bike in valley forge park and the chester county trail both have been plowed and salted thru the winter. It sucks Montgomery county claims they can't afford to maintain the trail thru the winter.
    Thanks for the update. I was itching to go out SRT from conshy today, and was thinking about going out tomorrow.

I guess I'll wait a bit.

Did you ride through the construction in Norristown? If so, how was that?

soulfly
    its closed you have to go out on conshy st rd and take it to main st ,like the way it was years ago

soulfly
    I was out again today and the trail is pretty much clear,there is a couple of spots that have some ice.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I did an out-n-back from conshy to audubon.

Nice repaving job on the trail just east of the betzwood bridge.

No more bone-jarring tree-root speed bumps.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    During my ride yesterday afternoon, I came upon a somewhat dangerous temporary situation on the SRT just west of the Norristown transit center.

At the curve at the bottom of the hill, the westbound side has some metal stands which are supporting a temporary chain link fence prodruding onto the path.

It's sort of a worst case placement, since it is at the bottom of a hill that eastbound riders come tearing down, and westbound riders are going fast to take the hill quickly... and it is right in the curve, which tends to be a bit of a choke point anyway.

See my red mark on the picture below. Anyway, use caution there until they move the temporary chain link fence.

Last edited by SPlKE; 07-19-2014 at 06:03 AM.

soulfly
    there were many complaints made to park rangers about the fence and now it is moved in towards the lot

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Thanks for the update.

It was pretty hairy on that curve on Sunday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Guys, My brother said the trail was closed today. he wasn't 100% sure of the exact spot as it was his first time riding it. any info and do you think it will be open this weekend? just looking to do any easy ride so i figure i would just hit the trail.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by jammin View Post
    Guys, My brother said the trail was closed today. he wasn't 100% sure of the exact spot as it was his first time riding it. any info and do you think it will be open this weekend? just looking to do any easy ride so i figure i would just hit the trail.
    I believe he's referring to these minor closures:

Trail Alerts

Due to the large project on Lafayette Street in Norristown, the Schuylkill River Trail can be impacted. PLEASE OBSERVE THE DISMOUNT SIGNS AS YOU APPROACH ROSS STREET.

Construction on the Betzwood Bridge at Valley Forge National Historic Park will require a small/easily navigable trail detour on the Schuylkill River Trail. The construction in this area has begun and will extend for a couple of years. Please exercise caution and obey all signs.

Montgomery County, PA - Official Website - Schuylkill River Trail

The one at Betzwood is a bit of a PITA.

soulfly
    trail is all clear of ice and snow, still have the detour at the Betzwood bridge

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Fair weather Schuylkill Trail Bum here... going to do my first ride of 2015 tomorrow afternoon (Sunday 5/3/15).

Any rider reports?

Betzwood still detoured?

Etc.

Thanks,

Spike

BTW, if you see a middle aged guy (somewhat overweight) wearing black shorts, navy blue UA shirt and dark gray helmet, on an orange 1996 LeMond Alpe d'Huez road bike, give me a shout. I ride from Conshy to Mill Grove (uphill!), and back to Conshy.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Hey SRT fans! We're NUMBER ONE!

Schuylkill River Trail wins ‘best urban trail’ in online contest

Schuylkill River Trail wins ?best urban trail? in online contest - Colonial News - Montgomery News

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I've been doing some nice out-n-backs from conshy, up mill grove hill and back.

The one thing I'm sort of surprised at is the slooooow progress on the 422 overpass over the SRT at Betzwood.

The trail detour is not a huge deal, but it looks to me like not much has been done in the past year.

What's the deal? Even when I rode out during the work week last week, there seem to be nothing being done. Do any of you SRT fans know when the trail detour is going to be lifted? What, is it one guy working on the project, part time?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah that detour is quite annoying. I'm wondering if they will reopen the trail at the same time as when the bridge construction is complete.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Starting October 30, 2015, SRT will cross the Schuylkill at Manayunk!

Manayunk Bridge set to open to walkers and bike riders with ceremony Oct. 30

Published: Wednesday, October 28, 2015

By Cheryl Allison

With its reopening, the century-old Manayunk will link the Cynwyd Heritage Trail in Lower Merion with downtown Manayunk.

Opportunities to watch a dream come true don’t come around very often.

One of them will occur next Friday, Oct. 30, when Lower Merion, Montgomery County and Philadelphia officials – and a crowd of area trail walkers and bicycle riders gather over the Schuylkill River to cut a ribbon and reopen the century-old Manayunk Bridge.

What seemed the most remote of possibilities several years ago will become reality because some people looked at a defunct rail line and saw a link between communities and a connection to a network that reaches far beyond the river’s banks.

The ceremony will take place at 11 a.m. Immediately after the ribbon is cut, the bridge will open for public use. It will extend the four-year-old Cynwyd Heritage Trail in Lower Merion to downtown Manayunk and beyond that to the Schuylkill River Trail.

For those who walk or ride across, it will offer views of the Schuylkill River that few have seen in 30 years.

The first glimmer of the $5.7-million project was lit when a group in Lower Merion Township saw the possibility of creating a community trail on two miles of unused rail bed running from the Cynwyd Station in Bala Cynwyd to the Manayunk Bridge.

More here: Manayunk Bridge set to open to walkers and bike riders with ceremony Oct. 30 - Main Line Times - Main Line Media News

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    How goes, SRT fans?

I haven't been out yet this year?

Is the construction detour at Betzwood finally out of the way.

soulfly
    not done yet but they are working steady on the new bridge going into valley forge park

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by road addict View Post
    not done yet but they are working steady on the new bridge going into valley forge park
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to the new bridge to the park. That wooden bridge is rough, in more ways than one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Rode by there today.

Not sure when they are planning to finish everything but it's looked the same for a while now.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Heh.

As far as I can tell, the whole work crew on that job is one part time guy who works when he feels up to it.

I think that's his pickup truck. If you rap on the window, he'll wake up and advance the project by one or two man-hours before Miller Time rolls around.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast