Schuylkill, Perkiomen Trail conditions - rider reports - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Is usually on MTBR.com
    Jul 2006
    I went out on saturday. Temp in the mid 40's light wind. felt pretty good for December. Trail was a little wet, but altogether fine. This weekends forecast does not look promising however... cold and wet.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I finally put my trainer-tire on my road bike, which is kind of like throwing in the towel on SRT rides until spring.

I was tempted to get out my mtn bike and ride out the trail on sunday, but couldn't get it together, so I rode the trainer instead.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I'm thinking of doing a ride out the srt this afternoon.

Any rider reports on conditions?

Thx.

Is usually on MTBR.com
    Jul 2006
    I was out last weekend. It was completely fine. Have a good ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Fine this afternoon a couple of sticks but that was it
    Matt

http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/94524
    Save 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Thanks for the reports. Unfortunately, work intruded on biking yet again.

If the warm weather weren't compelling enough, those extra few minutes of light late in the afternoon these days sure are making me think about those summertime 5 - 8 pm rides coming up...

Is usually on MTBR.com
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE
    Thanks for the reports. Unfortunately, work intruded on biking yet again.

If the warm weather weren't compelling enough, those extra few minutes of light late in the afternoon these days sure are making me think about those summertime 5 - 8 pm rides coming up...
    better yet those 5:30 am to 7am, then 5pm to 8pm rides... june rocks.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    June rocks.

Those 530 - 7 am rides are the best for high-speed rides -- no traffic on the trail (except for a few other fast riders), no wind most days, clean morning air, no chance of T-storms, rested muscles....

It doesn't get any better than that.

Is usually on MTBR.com
    Jul 2006
    2/23/08:

I rode from Betzwood to Manayunk today. Conditions were in the 30's with drizzle.
    The fun part was the trail was covered in snow, but it was slushy enough that my wheels dug right down to the pavement. I was running a Pave' type tire and was fine. A little wet though.

Polka Power
    Last couple days were sloppy with some ice, especially on Sunday between Conshi and Norristown. I'm sure the ice is gone now with the rain. I hit patches of gravel and some glass here and there. No flats yet though, just a dirty bike.

This is the whole trail, Art Museum out. Including the paved part of Perkiomen and Aububon Loop. I didn't ride the tow path part.

I don't normally ride the kelly drive section, but did on Sunday because of the ice and snow on the trail further out.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I'm thinking of going out tomorrow from conshy to valley forge and loop around the park.

...if the wind drops below 10 mph ...

Where did you see glass on the trail?

Is usually on MTBR.com
    Jul 2006
    Did the entire path today during a ride, I didn't see anything aside from water. You should be fine.

Polka Power
    Glass was mostly on the bike lane by the body shops coming out of manyunk (not unusual, but just more)....but I also saw some in Norristown on the slight grade where the trail is elevated (south side, near duff beer co ).

Wasn't a bunch, but there was some.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Duff beer co.

Heh.

I think the same thing every time I ride by it.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Was out Friday. Just beautiful.

The new short line rail construction is done messing with the bike path. Where it was blocked off last fall, it is an even better path now, much wider.

No probs anywhere. No squirrels. Pretty much had the place to myself mid-afternoon Friday.

Looking to do some 6 - 8 am rides on weekdays soon.

S80
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I busted my collar bone two weeks ago in a cycling incident - hope to be back on the trail in another four weeks. Funny thing is that I rode all winter - during that construction - in the cold and the wet. The construction workers had flagmen at each end of the site directing bike traffic for safety purposes during the final repaving. Guess that I'll just appreciate it more when I'm back in action.

Thanks for the report.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Where does the split from Oaks to Phoenixville dump you off and is it all paved?
    Matt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhemberg
    Where does the split from Oaks to Phoenixville dump you off and is it all paved?
    The split takes you down to the canal behind Mont Clare and drops you off on Longford Road by the new dog park. From there it's an easy ride along the canal to rte 29 at Produce Junction and into Phoenixville if you're heading that way.

It was mostly paved last Tuesday. The crews were still working on it and there was one short stretch of good gravel still to be finished. It might be complete by now, but ridable either way.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    S80 -- sorry to hear about your collar bone.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    BUGS!! Swarms of bugs. Hard to see them when they're hanging out in the shade. In the sun it look like that black cloud thing in the early episodes of Lost.
    .._\___
    ../__|__\_
    (o)--------(o)
    MINI Cooper S

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    When are they going to finish the path to pheonixville. It is like Paris Roubaix for about a half mile
    Matt

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I was out several times in the late afternoon - early evening during the past two weeks.

All good, EXCEPT there are occasional clouds of bugs, mayflies I think.

If you ride with your mouth shut, breathing through you nose, you won't have a problem. If you ride with your mouth open, breathing through your mouth, you WILL eat bugs.

Also note, there is a new section of the Perk trail, paved, which extends a mile south of the pawlings rd bridge. Beyond this new mile, it is stones. I ride a road bike, so the end of the paved is the end of the trail for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    If you cut onto the road that's adjacent to the new trail where it turns to gravel, you can get up to Egypt road, where you can enjoy the experience of having every trucker in the area try to run you off the road as you head towards Phoenixville.

Oh well, beats trying to take the Gay Street bridge...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbJIuxoY_C0

P.S. Bugs are good sources of protein! Or at least that's what I keep telling myself when I eat them. My last crash was due to running off the trail at Betzwood thanks to getting bugs in both eyes...

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    The truckers are a lot nicer in VF park -- they just yell at me that I should be riding on the sidewalk. But I stay off of 23. That's pretty much a bike kill zone from what I've learned every time I've ridden it.

The gay st bridge looks like a "technical" ride.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Rode the SRT this morning.

There is a detour from the norristown train station to the dekalb st bridge.

For the next few days, they're finishing up the widening and repaving of trail there.

Looks pretty good.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast