Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    That thing was destroyed this morning I should have brought a CX bike
    Matt

http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/94524
    Save 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Heh. I waited until 5 pm to go out. There were still parts closed with storm damage.

It must have been a doosey out there around VF & perk loop...

soulfly

Thumbs up

that section was still closed today, but they did complete the repairs to the path in Norristown

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just curious- does PennDOT ever do ANY de-icing (salt, chemical or otherwise) on the trails up there during those lovely "wintry mix" days, or is it pretty much "Use at your own risk?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    No treatment; when it snows the trails are snow-covered. The exceptions might be the areas where vehicles also use the trail (like by the sewer plant in Norristown), but I've never actually confirmed that.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Does anybody know what they're doing to the roads over in VF NHP?

I noticed that Inner Line Dr south of Gulph Rd and County Line rd seem to be closed for work.

You can ride County Line Rd after 6 pm I believe, but it's pretty rough where they've been digging.

Is usually on MTBR.com
    Jul 2006
    http://www.nps.gov/vafo/planyourvisit/construction.htm

The work on Upper Gulph rd is/was for a water main. They left the road pretty jacked up.

Inner Line Dr looks like it will be closed for some time (winter) they are doing god knows what to that. The website i posted has specifics.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I just read the management plan. They're going to remove county line rd forever sometime next year, returning it to being a field, and then close gulph rd to public traffic, and then they want to close the park tour roads, like inner line drive, to private traffic, allowing only tour buses. (They say it is to curb pollution and noise. I gotta say, the steady stream a-holes on harleys revvin it up and blasting out their pipes on inner line drive do pretty much totally ruin that quiet, pastoral experience, which is best enjoyed on foot or bicycle.)

Their idea is that bikes can use the existing trails and paths around the park. Those trails are great for riders who like to go 5 mph, and enjoy stopping frequently for baby strollers and people walking 5 abreast, etc.

I guess us roadies can ride on 23. That's always good for a shot of adrenaline as you come face to face with death several times per mile.

Thx for the link.

Is usually on MTBR.com
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE
    I just read the management plan. They're going to remove county line rd forever sometime next year, returning it to being a field, and then close gulph rd to public traffic, and then they want to close the park tour roads, like inner line drive, to private traffic, allowing only tour buses.

Their idea is that bikes can use the existing trails and paths around the park. Those trails are great for riders who like to go 5 mph, and enjoy stopping frequently for baby strollers and people walking 5 abreast, etc.

I guess us roadies can ride on 23. That's always good for a shot of adrenaline as you come face to face with death several times per mile.

Thx for the link.
    clearly they are on friggin crack... sorry I haven't had enough coffee this morning for that... This whole, revert the park to how it looked 200 yrs ago strategy is a bit nuts if you ask me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE
    I just read the management plan.

Thx for the link.
    Great link.

This is my favorite passage and worth noting for those of us who cross the river on the wooden bridge. They will be doing preliminary utility work starting this fall to rebuild Betzwood Bridge.

So this Fall, 2008, we'll be out on the shoulder of 422.
    "The trail connection from the Route 422 Bridge to Trooper Road (south of the river) will be eliminated and will be relocated to the shoulder of 422, entering the park at the intersection of the 422 off-ramp and Route 23. Once the replacement Betzwood Bridge is completed, the trail connection will be returned to the area adjacent to Trooper Road, on a new multi-use trail."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I actually don't mind riding 23 eastbound through the park. The climb up to it is a bit of work, but the drivers are only mildly homicidal, there are few trucks, and the road's in good condition. Westbound wouldn't be a lot of fun but the outer road (the one which leads from the welcome center to the arch and then on to 252) works for that.

The park seems to be determined to make itself an impassible blob; at various times they've proposed closing not only County Line Road, but also Gulph Road (not North Gulph Road -- Gulph Road is the road which leads from the arch to Rt 23), and even 23 through the park (suggesting everyone get on 422 and off at a new Pawlings Road exit to rejoin 23). They've been delaying the opening of Betzwood Bridge for years, by demanding study after study after study.

Given the delays and plan changes that have been occurring for years, I wouldn't bet on any of their plans happening, and I would bet on them being delayed far later than any published dates.

Polka Power
    Quote Originally Posted by mf9point8
    clearly they are on friggin crack... .
    x2. County line is a nice low traffic route up through the park...etc, etc.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Interesting coincidence... all this planned closing down of private-vehicle access to VF NHP roads... and the $$$$ developers shoving down our throats the new for-profit American Revolution Center, on park lands, (the bulk of which just happens to abut to the SRT along 422 to paulings rd)... and as an added senrendipitous bonus, this newfangled ARC also just happens to be planning to offer tourbus rides through the park.

Wow. What perfect timing. It's almost as though there were some synergy in the planning.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    FOUND: Piece of expensive-looking jewelry at the Pawlings Road trailhead, in front of the trail map.

Let me know if you or someone you know lost something like that.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    This whole week thus far in one word: beeeyuteeful.

Great riding conditions from 5:30 am to about 8:30 pm.

Not a lot of people out there, even during peak periods.

Good air, good sun, perfect temperature, no bugs, no squirrels. Wow. These are the days I dream about during the dark, cold winter months.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    The bugs are back, somewhat.

Not in droves, but you might still want to breathe through your nose in tree-covered sections of the path.

Some leaves are down on one of the horseshoe curves at the water treatment plant east of Norristown. They may be slippery when wet in the morning.

And for my last beef o' the day: the days are getting shorter to the tune of 2 minutes per day. I gotta switch to lighter sunglasses for my after-work ride. It's freakin' dark at 8 pm.

Otherwise, beautiful riding this week.

Aug 2005
    me & my nephew started out late(7) & on the way back it got dark,we had a bat divin at us for about 3 blocks ,wasnt to bad on the bugs

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    One year, I tried to extend my evening riding by using headlight & helmetlight, and riding through the end of October.

It was OK, but on moonless nights, it was REAL DARK in wooded areas, even with good lights. It was also weird just west 202 in norristown... sometimes gangs of rowdy kids hanging out, blocking the path.

No bat attacks though. (knock on wood)

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    A great piece of gear for the SRT MUP: My very first bike bell.

OK, I had resisted this idea for a long long time. But with the increasing number of parents taking toddlers on toy bikes out on the path, and the ridiculousness of saying "on your left" to a toddler... I finally got an incredibell.

http://www.mirrycle.com/original-new.htm

I still slow down, even stop if I have to, for slow, oblivious traffic, but a ding-ding from this tiny bell seems to be understood by "children of all ages" (heh heh), and, get this, SQUIRRELS too.

I seriously recommend one of these bells if you ride any MUP on a regular basis. I rate this bike upgrade right up there with my new sidi bullet II shoes, crank bros pedals, and my new CF handlebar. It's that good.

Did I mention it scares squirrely squirrels off the path?

PS: any bell will work. This just happens to be the one my LBS had on hand.

Aug 2005
    I gotta get me a bell ,expend too much energy sayin on your left LOUD the entire trail tryin to keep a pace ,is that bell loud enuff ,seen them at performance ,should picked 1 up, tomorrow is Mt. bike day there with my nephew & friend after work,should be another perfect day

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    It is loud enough... maybe not for people blasting their headphones.

If I see a dicey situation up ahead and it looks like it will be a challenge to get attention, I give a couple of dings 10-20 yards back. If there's no acknowledgement as I get closer, I give a few more dings. There was one approx 4 year old on a toy bike with training wheels far out in front of her parents who needed about 10 dings before she turned around and looked.

The few times I do need to use the bell, most are one-dingers.

Tomorrow does look perfect. I may have play hooky from work in the afternoon.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Black Walnut alert.

There are black walnuts on the path in places. Some green in hard husks, some dark and hard to see.

If you ride over one, it's kind of like riding over a golf ball. Not fun at any speed.

Also note, squirrels are working the areas with walnuts on the path.

That is all. ;-)

PS: the bell does not actually work with squirrels after all. It still works with squirrely kids on toy bikes though.

Is usually on MTBR.com
    Jul 2006
    I rode from VF to Manyunk and back yesterday... it was a bit of a circus. The nice weather had everyone out acting like it was the last nice day we had left... well it probally was looking at the forecast for this weekend (rain, 55) anyways conditiond other than the traffic and obvious people were pretty good.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I was out yesterday afternoon, 1-4, doing laps between conshy and VF. (Orange Lemond, gray T-shirt)

It was a circus.

I don't understand why people think it's OK to put toddlers on toy bikes out there. Some parents put 3 or 4 babies on 12-inch bikes out there and let 'em go wherever they want to, which is to say, weaving from side to side, going in circles, stopping for no reason, etc. Some of these kids can barely make it 10 feet without stopping. What's the point of taking them out on an MUP that has long stretches of nothing to do but ride?

I think they should have a No Training Wheels rule.

Days like yesterday, I use the slowing & practically stopping behind the dawdlers... and then restarting and accelerating after I pass them as interval training. To make it even more fun, I put it in something like a 53/14 gear and just leave it there, ride it like a SS.

Last edited by SPlKE; 10-13-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Is usually on MTBR.com
    Jul 2006
    I hear you spike... my personal fav is either, the walkers that spread 3 or 4 wide across the trail... followed by a close second to the dude that passed me a bit close while i had sat up to eat and was coasting at maybe 15 with no hands with my fiancee in behind me. wait he was riding an orange lemond... wtf... kidding...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast