Schuylkill, Perkiomen Trail conditions - rider reports - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 298
  1. #176
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence
    Today is Tuesday and it's been raining for 2 days plus rain Thursday. Do you think the Perkiomen Trail will be muddy for a ride Sunday? I was there 2 weeks ago with a road bike and it was fine. Do you think I'll be able to take my road bike again?
    If the rain ends thursday as predicted, it should be fine. Drainage and runoff is generally good on the path.

    East of Betzwood all the way to Manayunk, you might run into a small damp patch of shallow mud (less than a half inch) here and there where water washed across the path, but those patches, if they exist at all, will likely be dry dirt by Sunday. West of Betzwood should be largely clear of any mud patches.

    You may also see a few small patches of loose gravel that was washed across the trail in narrow spots, if the rain has been hard enough.

    Again, if the rain stops late today or even tomorrow, by Sunday, everything should be fine.

    Something to be aware of this time of year, even if it hasn't rained in a while, are slippery wet leaves.

  2. #177
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    I'm going out saturday mid day, from consohohcken to perkiomen and back.

    I'll scout it an report back here.

  3. #178
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    We got about 9 inches of rain last night, and it was real windy.

    It could be messy out there for a few days.

  4. #179
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    27
    let us know what it looks like

  5. #180
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    Just got back from a 28 mile loop from conshohocken to valley forge to audubon loop and back.

    Only 2 muddy spots -- both under RR overpasses, and both with dry tracks through them by the time I was on the return loop.

    Note -- I didn't do the perkiomen creek trail. That's always wet and muddy anyway, so I took roads from west of pawlings rd over to egypt road where I got on the audubon loop.

    Everything was leaf free, except the audubon loop which was pretty leafy. I'll post pics tomorrow. I have to go out now.


    And now the bad news ... they're predicting rain for tomorrow.

  6. #181
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    27
    Thanks...sunday pm from what I hear.

  7. #182
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    Muddy spot # 1, about a mile west of Conshohocken:




    Muddy spot # 2, at the Norristown water treatment plant:




    That was it for the mud. There were a few patches of thin, light, dry dirt where water had been standing during the flood, but otherwise, the trail was clear.

  8. #183
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,009
    I'd like to know how the trail is through Collegeville to Green Lane

  9. #184
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence
    I'd like to know how the trail is through Collegeville to Green Lane
    I don't know.

    I haven't done that segment for quite a while, so I don't remember how high above the creek the trail is.

    From what I saw of the perkiomen creek and its tributaries, there was still flooding and lots of fresh mud and debris in low lying areas.

    This afternoon, perkiomen creek was still a lot higher than normal, with water surrounding tree trunks along the banks.

    When I saw the creek today -- from the bridge just west of pawlings, and the bridge at egypt road -- about 24 hours after the crest of the flood yesterday, it was still over the banks in places. I'd say any segments of the trail that are less than 10 feet above the normal level of the creek would probably be muddy.

  10. #185
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    27
    I was hoping to get out there weds., but looks like the rain will still be around. I will probably do a ride around home.

  11. #186
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,009
    I rode the trail Sunday from Valley Forge to Green Ln and it was great. Some small spots of 10-15' of water 1/2" to 1" deep initially on the paved path, the parks dept had a small grader grading some of the trail especially around Spring Mountain so there is a lot of loose gravel, otherwise no problem riding. It was amazing that the Perkiomen Creek came up so high and wide as there were spring mattress and picnic tables in the trees near the creek and then on both sides of the trail and for several miles from Valley Forge the bushes were bent over. It's both amazing how fast the water receded, how dry the trail was, and the speed and quality of the job that the parks dept. did.

  12. #187
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence
    I rode the trail Sunday from Valley Forge to Green Ln and it was great. Some small spots of 10-15' of water 1/2" to 1" deep initially on the paved path, the parks dept had a small grader grading some of the trail especially around Spring Mountain so there is a lot of loose gravel, otherwise no problem riding. It was amazing that the Perkiomen Creek came up so high and wide as there were spring mattress and picnic tables in the trees near the creek and then on both sides of the trail and for several miles from Valley Forge the bushes were bent over. It's both amazing how fast the water receded, how dry the trail was, and the speed and quality of the job that the parks dept. did.
    Thanks for the update.

    One of these weekends, I'll saddle up my mountain bike and ride out there.

  13. #188
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    27
    Rode today, trail was nice. I turned around at Manayunk as I was a little cold. For some reason I just couldn't get warm.

  14. #189
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsvt
    Rode today, trail was nice. I turned around at Manayunk as I was a little cold. For some reason I just couldn't get warm.
    I go by the rule that says if you're warm enough in the first mile, you're dressed too warmly.

    It usually works, unless a cold front blows in during the ride.

  15. #190
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    New Years Day, 2011.

    It's pretty warm today. I'm thinking of doing and out-and-back from Conshohocken to Audubon and back.

    Anybody have any trail condition reports to share?

    Thanks and Happy New Year, SRT'ers!

  16. #191
    Is usually on MTBR.com
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    132
    clear from oaks to manayunk. They actually plowed everything pretty well after the snow, then the rain and warm weather took care of the rest.

  17. #192
    Going nowhere, slowly
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14

    Looking for SRT riders

    Hey folks,
    I'll be looking for riding partners as the weather breaks as I'll be hitting the SRT on a fairly regular basis this year. Been A while since I've been out, but I plan on doing a lot of riding to get back in shape, with the goal of being ready for City to Shore at the end of summer. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in coordinating some rides.

    Bob

  18. #193
    orlin03
    Reputation: orlin03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    319

    Trail still unplowed...

    An update on the SRT: it still has not been cleared since the last few snows, at least not between Manayunk and Conshy; had to ride River Road and the surrounding areas last Sunday instead.

  19. #194
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3
    I took a look at the SRT around Norristown on Saturday (Feb. 12). Parts are clear, other parts half snow covered, and some parts still totally snow covered. At Ross Street on the Norristown/Plymouth border (near the loop at the sewer plant) the trail was slush/packed snow. The stuff that usually freezes sold most mornings.
    Mike Sz.

  20. #195
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    Quote Originally Posted by draughtsman
    I took a look at the SRT around Norristown on Saturday (Feb. 12). Parts are clear, other parts half snow covered, and some parts still totally snow covered. At Ross Street on the Norristown/Plymouth border (near the loop at the sewer plant) the trail was slush/packed snow. The stuff that usually freezes sold most mornings.
    Mike Sz.
    Hello draughtsman and welcome aboard.

    Thanks for the update.

  21. #196
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the welcome Spike.

    Riding the train this morning I caught a glimpse of the SRT in Philly near Flat Rock Dam. Parts of the tow-path trail along the canal are clear, but there are places where it is completely iced over (wall-to-wall re-frozen lumpy ice). I don't know how clear the alternate (Umbria Street) is.

    Mike Sz.

  22. #197
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    Quote Originally Posted by draughtsman
    Thanks for the welcome Spike.

    Riding the train this morning I caught a glimpse of the SRT in Philly near Flat Rock Dam. Parts of the tow-path trail along the canal are clear, but there are places where it is completely iced over (wall-to-wall re-frozen lumpy ice). I don't know how clear the alternate (Umbria Street) is.

    Mike Sz.

    I'm going to assume it will be pretty much clear after today and tomorrow (high of 65 predicted).

    It's supposed to be pretty windy Saturday. If the wind dies down on Sunday, I'll probably venture out from conshy to audubon.

  23. #198
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3
    Did you ride on Sunday; did you find any problems?

    I was in Schwenksville yesterday afternoon and got a look at the Perkiomen Trail. Most of the trail, at least the parts I could see, was clear. But for about twenty yards on both sides of the Route 73 grade crossing (at the south end of Schwenksville) the trail was still completely ice covered.

    Mike Sz.

  24. #199
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    Quote Originally Posted by draughtsman
    Did you ride on Sunday; did you find any problems?

    I was in Schwenksville yesterday afternoon and got a look at the Perkiomen Trail. Most of the trail, at least the parts I could see, was clear. But for about twenty yards on both sides of the Route 73 grade crossing (at the south end of Schwenksville) the trail was still completely ice covered.

    Mike Sz.
    I didn't make it out on Sunday. It turned out I had to work Sunday afternoon.

    Thx for the update.

  25. #200
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    27
    FYI - trail was clear this past sunday

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.