Schuylkill, Perkiomen Trail conditions - rider reports - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    MT92Trek1000
    Jan 2011

Going for a ride today, will update status afterwards.

Starting on the SRT (Paulings Road Trailhead) and heading south around 5pm today. Hopefully the temps get a little warmer than the forecast predicts.

I'll post when I get home tonight.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I haven't been out the SRT yet this year. (Too much work, not enough ride time.)

I'm thinking of doing a quick out 'n' back after work today.

So, how is it out there?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Going out today. Any post-rain reports?

Is it the Muddy Mudskipper Show today?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Howdy SRT fans and Perk fans.

I thought I'd bump this thread as a place to put reports and pics of the Schuylkill and Perk Trails after Irene has had her way with them.

My office is on Hector St in Conshy, so I'll be able to contribute pics and reports of that section, even if I can't get out on my bike.

This should be "interesting" to say the least.

Edited to add Perk. How could I forget?
    Last edited by SPlKE; 08-25-2011 at 01:00 PM.

banned
    Jul 2011
    A kayak might be better than a bike.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    SRT at Spring Mill train station (at North Lane) in Conshohocken at about 3 PM Sunday:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    looks like it will take a few days before the trail is rideable and the mud/debris is gone.

All of this rain because I bought a new bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone been out on the trail since Irene? I was hoping to make it out today, but work had other plans.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    here is a brief synopsis that I received today from the BCP list server:

As of early this morning, the bike path was largely free and clear from Betzwood to Shawmont/Umbria. The SRT was closed from Betzwood west. Not sure why, but presumably impassable at points. Note that the section from Philly/Montco line west to Spring Mill were mud covered but drying out and I, at least, did not feel the need to dismount; others may; that and the part where there is the cloverleaf by the Norristown water treatment facility were the somewhat unpleasant areas that I can recall. The cloverleaf section was better than I would have expected, though. There were other spots where plainly someone had cleared the trail, and that is much appreciated. I have no idea about Manayunk. I also did not ride the spur out to Plymouth Meeting, but that looked like there were some cordoned off portions

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smankow View Post
    here is a brief synopsis that I received today from the BCP list server:

As of early this morning, the bike path was largely free and clear from Betzwood to Shawmont/Umbria. The SRT was closed from Betzwood west. Not sure why, but presumably impassable at points. Note that the section from Philly/Montco line west to Spring Mill were mud covered but drying out and I, at least, did not feel the need to dismount; others may; that and the part where there is the cloverleaf by the Norristown water treatment facility were the somewhat unpleasant areas that I can recall. The cloverleaf section was better than I would have expected, though. There were other spots where plainly someone had cleared the trail, and that is much appreciated. I have no idea about Manayunk. I also did not ride the spur out to Plymouth Meeting, but that looked like there were some cordoned off portions
    Awesome, thanks. At this rate it's looking like I might not make it out until this weekend; if so I'll try and get some pictures and post up some general impressions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    any update on the status of the trail? I thought about riding it today, but opted for a group ride instead

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by smankow View Post
    any update on the status of the trail? I thought about riding it today, but opted for a group ride instead
    I'm heading west from conshy (colwell lane) as far as audubon loop (if I can get there) and back, probably between 9 - 10 tomorrow.

I'll report back and supply pics if necessary.

Going nowhere, slowly

Been out twice since Irene

Been from Betzwood down to Oaks and into Phoenixville twice in the past week, and other than some remaining silt on the trail, everything is in fine shape. The gravel path from Betzwood to Pawlings apparently still has some trees down, so for those a bit more adventurous might want to heed caution.

Bob

P.S. Spike-we need to meet up for a ride soon.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Thanks, Bob. (Can I call you Clyde?)

I'm about to head out.

What kinds of rides do you do?

Going nowhere, slowly

The easy kind.....

Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Thanks, Bob. What kinds of rides do you do?
    Right now, pretty much a leisurely pace, around 12 mph average, and 15 - 20 miles at a clip (Typical ride for me right now is Conshy to Betzwood). Let me know if that suits your pace. I'll shoot you a message with my cell number.

Bob

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Just wondering if someone can tell me where the best place to hop on the trail is located. I remember last year we started at the Art Museum but then had to come up onto the road as there were gravel sections. I remember going under what seemed to be a train or highway overpass and then down a small road that led us to the trail. Can someone please tell me where that is?

Trying to get a few people to ride the trail and I would just like to google and email the location. Thank you in advance! BTW most are coming from South Jersey or the Northeast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Pete, the gravel sections that you were on is the Tow Path. I've been on it once or twice and never felt very comfortable on it. Here is how to get to the main SRT path if you don't mind a few hills.

Take Main Street to the end and turn right onto Leverington. Take a left at the first traffic light onto Umbria, which is a bit of a "roller coaster" road. Turn left onto Shawmont. It ends at Nixon Street and turn right (if you turn left, it puts you onto the tow path). Go about 1 block and the entrance to the SRT is on your right. This takes you to Norristown, King of Prussia, Oaks, etc.

Steve

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks so much Steve much appreciated. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    as for the condition of the trail, a friend of mine road it today from Betzwood to the city and looped around the Art Museum. He said the trail, although passable, was loaded with mud and debris. After the ride, he spent quite a bit of time cleaning the bike from the silt and mud that covered his bike. He commented that his bike looked like he did a mud run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    with some additional rain this week, any updates on the SRT, Kelly Drive & MLK Blvd (West River Drive)?

Schuylkill Trail Bum

Exclamation

Hello SRT & Perk fans.

Just got this from the bicycle coalition montco list serv. Looks like montgomery county is threatening to cut park funding:

------------------------------------------------------

Do you like bicycling on the Perkiomen and Schuylkill River Trails? Visiting the Elmwood Zoo?

Due a $40 Million Dollar shortfall in the 2012 Budget, Montgomery County Commissioners are proposing to eliminate funding for the entire County Park system along with the County Planning Commission. In short, the County is looking to plug a budget hole by tearing apart the County's park infrastructure.

The County Commissioners have stated they do not want to raise taxes to balance the budget. We understand they have an extremely tough job in trying to find wise, but sustainable, solutions to reducing this deficit. CLOSING THE ENTIRE COUNTY PARK SYSTEM SHOULD NOT BE ONE OF THE SOLUTIONS! This terrible idea would hurt both Montgomery County's quality of life and its economic activity.

No poppy fields in Lower Perkiomen Park next year. Parking lots will be closed and trails may be barricaded.

Is this the Montgomery County where we want to live and play?

The economic benefits of the Perkiomen and Schuylkill River Trails far outweigh their maintenance costs:
    The Perkiomen Trail attracts 400,000 visitors a year who spend $4.4 million in goods and services. Yearly routine maintenance cost: $45,000 (source).
    The Schuylkill River Trail boasts 800,000 visitors a year who spend $7.3 million (source).

The budget proposal also seeks to cut SEPTA bus routes which are subsidized by the County and eliminate the Planning Commission (the people who we are counting on to expand the County's trail network).

You can help, by letting our County Commissioners know how important it is to keep our County Parks, Trails and Historic Sites OPEN:

Send a letter today to the Montco Commissioners
    Comment on the budget online,

Post your comments on Facebook and Twitter

Attend this hearing next week: Proposed 2012 budget Public Hearing.
    Wednesday, December 7 at 10:00 am.
    One Montgomery Plaza, 8th Floor
    Swede St and W. Airy Ave
    Norristown, PA

Your action is needed to prevent this terrible blow to the qualify of live of everyone living in or near Montgomery County!

--
    Original article above was Posted By Bike Coalition to Greater Philadelphia Bicycle News at 12/02/2011 11:13:00 AM

FMI:

Greater Philadelphia Bicycle News: The Montgomery County Parks System Will Be Eliminated - Take Action Today

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Posted by Sarah Clark Stuart at 9:51 AM 12/6/2011 at Greater Philadelphia Bicycle News: Montco Budget Drama Continues: Commissioner Matthews Arrested

Montco Budget Drama Continues: Commissioner Matthews Arrested

As I started this blog post, the news to report was that tomorrow's budget hearing venue had changed to a larger room because of the large outcry over the draconian proposed 2012 budget.

The Commissioners moved the hearing across the street to the Courthouse

Wednesday, December 7 at 10:00 am.
    Montgomery County Courthouse Court Room A, Swede Street entrance
    Swede St and W. Airy Ave
    Norristown, PA

The Bicycle Coalition's action last Friday generated over 1,398 letters sent to each of the three current commissioners and to the two newly elected commissioners protesting the proposal to shut down Montco's parks, trails and Planning Department. If you haven't sent in your letter yet, please email your own personalized letter now.

But, the drama escalated this morning when news broke that Commissioner Chair James Matthews was arrested on perjury charges. This is not good news for our side because Mr. Matthews was supportive of increasing taxes to forestall such severe cuts.

Here's more about the outrage pouring into the Commissioners' offices: Phillyburbs, the Mercury, Pottstown Mercury Editorial, Phoenixville Patch.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Hello SRT fans.

What's doing out the SRT from Conshy to Audubon?

I haven't been out since last year (don't ask), but I think I'm going to do a ride tomorrow morning.

Is there anything new or noteworthy out there?

Thanks.

orlin03
    Just out there today. Nothing new. Lots of work between Manyunk and Conshy, though.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by orlin03 View Post
    Just out there today. Nothing new. Lots of work between Manyunk and Conshy, though.
    Yeah, I've been reading about that work on the bicycle coalition of philly news feed.

When I lived in Roxborough in the 1980s and 1990s, I regularly rode into Philly and out to VF and Audubon.

I moved to Conshy in 2000. Since then I've been lazy. My normal SRT loop is out to Audubon, clockwise on that loop (up the Mill Grove hill), and then back to Conshy.

If I feel energetic, I'll do a second loop that takes me up the Mill Grove hill.

I used to do loops around Valley Forge, but I got tired of the hassle crossing Betzwood bridge, and all the traffic around VF park.

The National Park Service was talking about closing some roads over in VF national military park.

Do you (or anyone) know if that ever happened?

Thanks.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast