Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112

Thread: Moots Registry

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post

So I guess I'm in the club.
    Still riding my 2008 Compact.
    It is on it's 3rd groupset and 6th set of wheels.
    Just took it on a trip through Vietnam from Hanoi down to Hoian (950km over 9 days of riding).

Great bike.

Moots Registry-received_976738779155069.jpg

The Slow One.
    Honestly, I looked at the Compact and thought it had the vast majority of what I like in a bike. External cable routing, English thread bottom bracket, clean lines... It's likely going to be the bike I reach for the most- especially for travel and general riding.

I've been riding around with some pretty clunky wheels (36 spoke Open Pros) for early-season riding, but I'm thinking of throwing on a nice set and seeing what she'll do.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    I'm thinking of throwing on a nice set and seeing what she'll do.
    I have run DA laced to OP's, Fulcrum 1's, Mad Fiber's, White Industries laced to H Plus Son and lots of other wheels.
    Currently running Hope hubs laced to Velocity A23's (28 spoke front and 32 rear). They feel great and I love that Hope freewheel sound (especially as I crested a 10km climb in Vietnam).

The Slow One.
    I have a set of 1st Gen HED Kermesses and some A23s, so I might look at a set of Belgium Plus rims with some nicer hubs. It's been a while since I invested in a nice set of non-carbon wheels. Most of my non-race wheels are built for durability and reliability, not necessarily having the smoothest bearings or freehub. I tend to beat them up a bit.

The Slow One.
    Just as a follow-up:
    As I suspected, the Compact became my go-to ride. I even raced it instead of my normal Madones in a windy crit. I'm still dialing it in, but I'm already planning a few component upgrades. It's just a fun, versatile bike. Will it replace my race rides? No, but it will see a lot more miles than the plastic bikes.

I finally got around to finishing the test build on the Vamoots DR, and it's a fun bike as well- in a completely different way. It's just smooth and stable, providing a lot of mile-eating comfort. It's not super-responsive or light, but it's a nice ride just the same. Maybe not a workhorse like the Compact, but definitely a bike I'd grab when town sign sprints or serious climbing is on the menu. As I get fatter and slower, I see more of those rides in my future.

I'm coming to the end of a two week trip that includes daily rides on the Blue Ridge Parkway (within spitting distance of my folks' farm) outside of Roanoke. The Compact has been the right tool for the job, and has gotten far more second looks than any of the various super-bikes I've owned over the years. A ten-year old titanium bike from eBay gets more street cred than the finest Taiwanese plastic. Go figure.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    Just as a follow-up:
    As I suspected, the Compact became my go-to ride. I even raced it instead of my normal Madones in a windy crit. I'm still dialing it in, but I'm already planning a few component upgrades. It's just a fun, versatile bike. Will it replace my race rides? No, but it will see a lot more miles than the plastic bikes.

I finally got around to finishing the test build on the Vamoots DR, and it's a fun bike as well- in a completely different way. It's just smooth and stable, providing a lot of mile-eating comfort. It's not super-responsive or light, but it's a nice ride just the same. Maybe not a workhorse like the Compact, but definitely a bike I'd grab when town sign sprints or serious climbing is on the menu. As I get fatter and slower, I see more of those rides in my future.

I'm coming to the end of a two week trip that includes daily rides on the Blue Ridge Parkway (within spitting distance of my folks' farm) outside of Roanoke. The Compact has been the right tool for the job, and has gotten far more second looks than any of the various super-bikes I've owned over the years. A ten-year old titanium bike from eBay gets more street cred than the finest Taiwanese plastic. Go figure.
    Mine was always my Crit and race bike when I was racing.

The Slow One.
    Attachment 323427
    Still playing around with the Moots Compact build. Installed an ENVE seatpost and stem tonight and put on the 25mm rims to see how I liked them. I have ENVE SES bars on the way because Iím not 100% happy with the Easton EC90 on there now. eBay and I are a bad combination.

May jump in the last crit of the season on it just to see how she does. My fitness isn't there, but it should be interesting.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    Gave her a bit of a makeover.
    New headset, got rid of the pink and blue bits.
    Built her some new wheels (Bicycle Hub store hubs laved to Pacenti Forza rims, 28h rear, 24 spoke front with CX Sprint spokes).
    Aerozine skewers, and top spacer.
    Ceramic hub bearings, front and rear.
    Considering changing out the bars to a traditional shape, but not sure.

Moots Registry-20181012_091154.jpg

Moots Registry-20181012_091218.jpg

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112