Moots vs. lynkskey's pricing
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Moots vs. lynkskey's pricing

I can get a great deal on a 2014 Helix, about $1100 less than the moots cr..

Question is; is the moots cr $1100 better than the Helix?

I know this is the moots forum, but, maybe someone can tell me why the moots is worth that much more than the helix.
    2014 EVO Di2, 7970 Di2
    2017 Shimano PD-9100 Pedals
    2012 Shimano7970 Di2
    2014 Centric Carbon Clinchers, 38mm and 60mm
    Second set of whees: Shimano 7900 C35 tubulars

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have been planning a Ti bike build for 3 years, waiting to see how the disc brakes play out before committing to a lifetime frame.

I will be going the moots route most likely.

I have toured the moots factory in steamboat springs, CO twice, and that place is a class act. Everyone is nice and the quality of the product and passion is obvious once you step foot in the door.

I am from NW Indiana and last month I took a road trip ton Indianapolis for a friends wedding, of course I got to visit all the bike shops around where I was staying.....I went to a lynskey dealer, looked and touched all the bike models and noticed the tubing is so thin it can be squeezed hard enough to see it move with your thumb! (the top tube would move slightly when squeezed) Probably not a big deal, but definitely caught my attention. I them went 10 miles away to a moots dealer and did the same to a vamoots CR, no deflection in the tube was noted.
    I personally think the overall fit and finish of the moots is well above that of lynskey/lightspeed/merlin etc.

Just my personal opinion though.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    I don't find any credibility in your post about being able to bend the Lynskey Ti with your thumb. You must be Superman if you can. I had to laugh when I read this!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcgill View Post
    I have been planning a Ti bike build for 3 years, waiting to see how the disc brakes play out before committing to a lifetime frame.

I will be going the moots route most likely.

I have toured the moots factory in steamboat springs, CO twice, and that place is a class act. Everyone is nice and the quality of the product and passion is obvious once you step foot in the door.

I am from NW Indiana and last month I took a road trip ton Indianapolis for a friends wedding, of course I got to visit all the bike shops around where I was staying.....I went to a lynskey dealer, looked and touched all the bike models and noticed the tubing is so thin it can be squeezed hard enough to see it move with your thumb! (the top tube would move slightly when squeezed) Probably not a big deal, but definitely caught my attention. I them went 10 miles away to a moots dealer and did the same to a vamoots CR, no deflection in the tube was noted.
    I personally think the overall fit and finish of the moots is well above that of lynskey/lightspeed/merlin etc.

Just my personal opinion though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did not say i bent it, i said you can see the tubing move ever so slightly when it is squeezed. (put a metal cookie sheet upside down on the counter and press your thumb into it; the metal surrounding your thumb moves ever so slightly, yet no damage is done)

The aluminum frame top tube of my cannondale caad10 rain bike does the same as the lynskey. i have a ton of miles on it with no issues. So as i said, it is not a huge ordeal. But as the original poster asked for: My personal opinion is spend the extra for the moots!

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    I still don't buy it. Sorry.

I did not say i bent it, i said you can see the tubing move ever so slightly when it is squeezed. (put a metal cookie sheet upside down on the counter and press your thumb into it; the metal surrounding your thumb moves ever so slightly, yet no damage is done)

The aluminum frame top tube of my cannondale caad10 rain bike does the same as the lynskey. i have a ton of miles on it with no issues. So as i said, it is not a huge ordeal. But as the original poster asked for: My personal opinion is spend the extra for the moots!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    I just squeezed the top tube on my Lynskey Helix. It did not budge. There is no way that you can press the titanium tubing and it dimples from the pressure. NO WAY!!!

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    Exactly!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bruin11 View Post
    I just squeezed the top tube on my Lynskey Helix. It did not budge. There is no way that you can press the titanium tubing and it dimples from the pressure. NO WAY!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    You can do the squeeze test on some carbon frames and see the tubes move.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I have to join the other posters and call BULLSH!T. I can't budge any tube on my wife's R350. I don't even believe the Cannondale claim. What do you have, some kind of bionic thumb?

The OP should look at Eriksen bikes as well. Frankly, I find the Lynskey Helix to be a little silly looking.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    I have to join the other posters and call BULLSH!T.
    Exactly!!!